[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Reimagining Maps and Random Games
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Eikonoklastes

Eikonoklastes

As it already stands, map making is a rather daunting and tricky task. This is because the gold standard, a map that is perfectly balanced for all races and turn sequences (i.e. it doesn't matter what race player one is), not only requires careful, if not painstaking, planning and tests, but also because it is quite subjective. Given some of the rather heated debates in English chat, it is clear that people have rather differing opinions as to what makes a map balanced. To make matters even more complicated, there is the issue of the fun factor (i.e., maps need to be both balanced as well as interesting/enjoyable). Of course, the latter is even more subjective than the former and if the echoing screams of some prolific map makers in English chat are any indication, whole droves of map makers are on the verge of apoplexy. To make matters even MORE complicated, we will, at some point, be graced with new units whose new abilities may very well render countless maps obsolete.

*politely waits as several map makers suffer severe spasms and are taken to the hospital for observation*

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am not a computer programmer and therefore do not have any idea as to the difficulties involved in changing the internal functions of the game. That being said, I wonder if it might be possible to tweak both the map editor as well as the way random matches are setup. Concerning the first part, adding elements to the map editor (perhaps boxes that can be checked off) that would allow map makers to specify that a map is for certain races. For example, checking a box to indicate that a specific map is meant for same race match ups only. Taking this one step further, allowing users to specify not only race match ups, but also the order of races. For example, that a map is for player one as Sapiens and player two as Titans. Admittedly, specifying the race for player one and player two may be taking things a bit too far; however, being able to formally specify that a map is at least for same race match ups or for only two specific races is not overly outlandish. After all, several maps have notes specifying that a map is designed for specific match ups/pairings. As for the second part, this may prove far more difficult to implement. The system itself would need to be able to recognize/understand the map labeling (e.g. that the map it has randomly selected is meant for sapiens vs. sapiens only) and assign the players the appropriate races.
Eikonoklastes

Eikonoklastes

It is entirely possible that my proposal would require far more time and energy than Xavi and co. have at their disposal, and thus rendering the entirety of my post moot. On the other hand, if it were possible, then it would open the doors to other possibilities as well. For example, the ability to specify whether or not a map is for FFA or team match ups.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Interestingly, this ability to designate races by player already exists!

The issue so to speak is that if you assign specific races to a map, it is considered an objective map and thus does not enter the random ranked pool

I am probably in favor of objective maps being available for the random ranked pool. I think they should perhaps require a higher standard for getting ranked than regular maps though ... (like 100 votes instead of 25... maybe only 2000+ players can vote on objective maps at all...)

Hope that helps

And wtf is apopopopopoplexh?!?
[Avatar]
wumbodin

[Avatar]
wumbodin

[http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/apoplexy]
Maybe it helps

I wumbo. You wumbo. He- she- me... wumbo. Wumbo; Wumboing; We'll have thee wumbo; Wumborama; Wumbology; the study of Wumbo. It's first grade, dude
[Avatar]
wumbodin

[Avatar]
wumbodin

Duaneski wrote:

[http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/apoplexy]

Maybe this helps

I wumbo. You wumbo. He- she- me... wumbo. Wumbo; Wumboing; We'll have thee wumbo; Wumborama; Wumbology; the study of Wumbo. It's first grade, dude
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I think it would be better if all new maps were added to the random ranked system as same race match-ups only. It is much harder to make multi race match-ups work correctly.

So after 25 up with less than 5 down votes your map would enter circulation as same race only. It can get a silver star.
After 100 up with less than 25 down votes it gets the gold star we see now and becomes available for any race match-ups.

If ever a map gets enough down votes (say 33%) then it first gets downgraded to silver and returns to same match-ups only.
Only when down reaches (say 66%) have enough people disliked it that it drops completely out of the ranked system.

In my opinion too many good maps are down voted into oblivion because of players that have either not anticipated some aspects of an interesting map and so lost very quickly or just don't like some aspect of the map, its not "fun". I think this is unfair on the map makers. They have spent time, effort and money on getting their idea created, tested and uploaded (which currently costs real money) yet still often have nothing to show for it. Personally I have had 3 maps get to rated then be down voted to unrated again, for some of them there were legitimate issues (all with mixed race matches), the last one before I gave up on map making I still have no idea why it was not liked. At least if the idea above was implemented then you'd know that a map that stayed silver was balanced for same race matches and if it kept peeking in and out of gold, would mean it had a mixed race match-up issue.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
Forum Index » New Feature Request