[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Improving mapmaking.
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Kohtar

Kohtar

I am still pretty new here, and even newer to mapmaking, but I noticed a few things that could be improved about that:

- When we publish a map, the first version is not always as balanced as we would like; and obtaining a perfectly balanced map requires some trial and error, and some fine-tuning. The trouble is that, right now, to improve a map, we need to delete and re-publish it, which cancels any thumbs up we might have recieved, and uses up a map creation token. For example, I now think my first map (marsh or die) would be a bit better with slightly increased funding, but I will not implement this modification because the map is already rated: it would be too much trouble to unpublish and republish it. It would be a good thing to have a replace button for our maps, which does not use up a map creation token (it might be safer to implement it on the map creation side: when we try to publish a map which has the same name as one of our already published map, we are asked whether we want to replace it). It will be especially important with the arrival of new units and new terrain: a lot of older maps will be made obsolete by this.

- It would be a good thing to be able to comment maps: this way we could explain to the mapmaker what we think is wrong in his map, and this would help increase the overall quality of the maps, especially combined with a possibility to replace existing maps.

- About map evaluation: I noticed there were two reasons why I might want to thumb down a map: unbalanced or boring. But these two reasons should have different consequences: it's not that bad if a boring map is available for rated play; however an unbalanced but exciting map can be selected in tournaments. A possible solution would be to have two separated evaluations: one for balance, and one for the fun factor. Considering balance, a possibility to neutralize the sore loser effect would be to check who won the game, and to check the four possible unbalances: 1st player vs 2nd player, titan vs sap, titan vs khral, and sap vs. khral. An unbalance signalement with khral beating saps could cancel out an unbalance signalement with saps beating khral. With this modification, the unbalance signalement would be more reliable (but they would be fewer thumbs down since some of them would cancel out, so stricter bounds would be needed to make a map rated, something like 80% thumbs up).
Forum Index » New Feature Request