[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Making Uniwar more competitive
Forum Index » General Discussion
charclo

charclo

Hi everyone,

I post here because I have 2 concerns about competitivity in Uniwar.

First, it shouldn't be possible to select a race for a ranked game. I feel like on the average map, Sapiens has an advantage on Titans who have advantage over Khraleans. I don't use that feature but I very often play against Sapiens...

The second is that most maps aren't really well designed. It is left side vs right side too often which leads to camping and uninteresting games. A lot of my games are finished with peace.
I think we need a map pool for ranked games :
- it would be quite large (maybe 50 maps ?) so that you don't play always the same map.
- For the same reason, 1 third could change every 3 months or so.
- It could be chosen by devs, good players, vote, I don't care.
- It would show map makers whare are the good characteristics of a map.

P.S : I won't go into 2v2 map design where the situation is even worse...
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

Really mostly draws? I've checked most of my friends list and the top 20 players in ranked solo and it is rare to find any with draws more than 10% of their victories.

Also in random ranked games the choice of race is random.

"Left side vs right side" isn't that always the case in 1v1? Or do you mean in specific map layout in which case that is simply not true as there are many maps which mix the opposing bases.

As for something better to remove poor rated maps or make sure only good maps become rated, then yes there is room for improvement and there are a number of threads about it. The obvious one to me is a map becomes rated for only the race combos that have been approved. Currently 25 up votes gets a map rated but tvs might be completely broken but that is not enough to stop it getting rated. If each race combo was rated separately e.g. 5 up votes, then only those combos would be available for rated games

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

wookieontheweb wrote:Really mostly draws? I've checked most of my friends list and the top 20 players in ranked solo and it is rare to find any with draws more than 10% of their victories.

Also in random ranked games the choice of race is random.

"Left side vs right side" isn't that always the case in 1v1? Or do you mean in specific map layout in which case that is simply not true as there are many maps which mix the opposing bases.

As for something better to remove poor rated maps or make sure only good maps become rated, then yes there is room for improvement and there are a number of threads about it. The obvious one to me is a map becomes rated for only the race combos that have been approved. Currently 25 up votes gets a map rated but tvs might be completely broken but that is not enough to stop it getting rated. If each race combo was rated separately e.g. 5 up votes, then only those combos would be available for rated games

You CAN select your race in random ranked. Just hit create game, random ranked, and you'll see it

As for the OP's other concerns.... I think maybe there's some validity there. But I'm very content with the level of competition. And I do use the Revenge feature if I land a matchup I don't feel good about.

Exploring new ways to improve on existing systems is a good goal.

Is a small-ish ranked pool of 50 or so maps a good idea? Well, I'm not sure. My gut instinct is "no." I look at random ranked as my "fun, but also somewhat competitive, 1v1 experience." I think most others would agree ..

Tournaments on the other hand are where I really feel that "highly competitive" drive to win....

It's different for everyone. And I can appreciate what you're saying. But >80% of the time I enjoy the random maps I land in random ranked.. so, yeah.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

When i said random ranked i was referring to the games that get automatically started when you set the value in your profile to accept n random ranked games, i don't get a chance to chose my race then. Automatic random ranked are about 12 of my 22 slots. It was more but I'm trying to get a map rated. I should do more tournaments but it's all really competitive and i keep getting thrashed!

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
Forum Index » General Discussion