[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Tank buster meta / strategies
Forum Index » General Discussion
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

Hi all, I'd like to gather the community's thoughts on the emerging metagame that the tank busters have brought in. Particularly I'd love it if we could hear from some 2400+ players as in general they are playing on a different planet.

TLDR: matches are getting bogged down, guardian is OP and a huge deal

My thoughts are that they are sweet, however they result in matches really slowing down. I think this is because many maps are small, and once you are able to get a tank buster built in range on an enemy base they can basically only build light infantry on it.

Specifically I would rank them as guardian best, then bopper, then Borfly. The guardian to me is just a huge game changer making Titans the best race. Now you can spam speeder and guardian and wreck anything the opponent builds, and the guardian can even capture bases to take advantage of the tempo gain from your attack. Titans can rush, who would have thought it!! I don't know the best way to kill it. So far I have found a combo of helicopter plus battery... But they are so expensive! You just have to cede position to the guardian. If you try to use marauder, the best sapien way to deal with weak ranged units, it just gets easily obliterated. And with Khraleans, do you use underling only? I don't know...

Borfly I think is weakest because of its weak spot, cannot attack adjacent spaces. Bopper is quite strong if you can sit it on a forest or mountain.

Anyways. I have only had a few games in each matchup with the new units. I'd love to hear other thoughts. Am I doing something wrong? What else have I missed?
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

We have some discussions between the moderators , wich are experianced and good (excetp me .. haha).
Not conclusive, but :
- guardian seems pretty ok, discussion goes mostly on heal or not amd if heal then reduce defence
- borfly : mostly ok, but perhaps needs a nerf in air or defence.. its to strong in k vs k
- bopper: does not (at higher level) help enough vs what is was orginally designed - help vs plasma. We are discussing giving move after attack and reducing stats (possibly defence, move, range from 2-3 to 3)

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

simsverd wrote:We have some discussions between the moderators , wich are experianced and good (excetp me .. haha).
Not conclusive, but :
- guardian seems pretty ok, discussion goes mostly on heal or not amd if heal then reduce defence
- borfly : mostly ok, but perhaps needs a nerf in air or defence.. its to strong in k vs k
- bopper: does not (at higher level) help enough vs what is was orginally designed - help vs plasma. We are discussing giving move after attack and reducing stats (possibly defence, move, range from 2-3 to 3)

the limited threat range of boppers is challenging, for sure. Fixing that by giving it move after attack would be nice. I would sign up for just range 3 and a slight reduction in stats to gain that.

I would also be interested in a bopper w mobility 9 - 12... being able to position them more easily might increase their effectiveness?

I really hope guardian stays no heal, FWIW. that's such a unique and fun unit design

The only thing I have to add on boarfly... it's attack animation seems pretty lackluster. Especially given the damage it can put out

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13, 2017 23:21

[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Duaneski wrote:
The only thing I have to add on boarfly... it's attack animation seems pretty lackluster. Especially given the damage it can put out

The grapichs in the new units are not final.. i have seen animations of the forfly that are better than the current

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
trineroks

trineroks

My experience with Bopper in SvT is that it is extremely situational. I rarely use the unit myself.

It can't effectively counter Plasma because it's not mobile at all and is vulnerable to Walker/Eclipse snipes. It can't fight back on adjacent hexes. It sorta feels like pre-buff Battery (550, 2-4 range, no move-after-attack).

With Sapien you need to constantly pressure Titan, but Bopper can't do that. It's a turtle unit. Guardian on the other hand is infinitely more useful because it's highly mobile and poses a greater threat as such.
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

Sims can you share more about how the new units are being used? Like why is Borfly so strong on kvk, when is the bopper useful, and how the heck do you kill a guardian.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

mistercreepy wrote:Sims can you share more about how the new units are being used? Like why is Borfly so strong on kvk, when is the bopper useful, and how the heck do you kill a guardian.

Borfly: in k vs k borfly is very cost effective and replaces much the mass swarmer meta... a reduction in air but give AP vs air will keep the dammage vs heli, but reduce vs garuda and swarmer.

Bopper: hard to position to kill heavies since high level players would rarely move a tank within range of the bopper.. to easily killed by light and medium units. Bopper is useful on maps where terrain allow it to have some protection and still be close enough to matter (reach a base for example).

Guardian is a very powerful unit, but also very easy to kill.. using it near the front will often lead to it being crippled or destroyed.. Much of the top player discussion have been on heal or not.. wich i find irrelevant myself.. t he guardian is an "enabler" unit breaching the frontline and making things happen.. the very idea of returning such a unit to heal for many rounds defeats its purpose imo.

[Email]
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I'm playing a game now with 3 badly wounded guardians :p mostly I misused them or should've never built them. But it's like, what do I do with these things now?

I was thinking a "recycle" ability on them would be nice... being able to get back 50-100 credits for them might help people to not notice that they can't heal as much. I dunno :p I guess they can always still threaten a base capture (if I weren't losing so badly because of the thousands of credits dumped into the wrong unit because it's shiny any new that is )

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14, 2017 15:56

[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Duaneski wrote:I'm playing a game now with 3 badly wounded guardians :p mostly I misused them or should've never built them. But it's like, what do I do with these things now?

I was thinking a "recycle" ability on them would be nice... being able to get back 50-100 credits for them might help people to not notice that they can't heal as much. I dunno :p I guess they can always still threaten a base capture (if I weren't losing so badly because of the thousands of credits dumped into the wrong unit because it's shiny any new that is )

- base capture
- sit on a city (not on the frontline obviously)
- get gangup in important attack
- block enemy(by teleport for example)
- just be addition target to draw fire for other units

[Email]
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Yeah... you're right haha.
Forum Index » General Discussion