[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
More veterancy please
Forum Index » New Feature Request
OmegaD

OmegaD

One of my favorite things about the old Army Men game for PC was leveling my units. To be honest, veterancy was one of the things that initially caught my attention and sold me on this game too. However, I soon discovered, much to my dismay, that you can only level your units twice in Uniwar, it is hard to do, and it is seldom worth the effort.

I would like to see that change. I would like to see additional levels of veterancy added. I would also like to see veterancy be slightly easier to attain. I think that would add an additional fun factor to the game as players try to level their units, protect their MVP grunts, and weigh the costs and benefits of choosing experience over numbers.
eathan

eathan

I would love this. It would add so much to gameplay, especially on huge maps with long, drawn out battles.

I wouldn't necessarily make the levels easier to attain, but I'd love to see more levels (five would be perfect), and maybe add a sweet extra little ability at the highest level. Examples, at level five:

A marine gets an attack range of 2

A chopper gets +1 move range after attack

An underling is able to attack air units

An engineer can de-program programmed mechas

You get the idea

I also think it would be super cool if leveling up healed a point or two. So the only way to heal a wounded guardian was to make sure it got the kill shot, again and again.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I had asked for this at some point too heh I think those I was talking to who were in favor agreed - veterans need to heal some points.... once you level someone up, they die :p

Making it easier could work too, more leveled up people, easier to keep some alive

I would love unlockable abilities too. That'd be sweeeeet
trineroks

trineroks

Currently veterancy works like this - the unit that deals the killing blow to an enemy unit earns (Enemy_Cost * (Enemy_HP/10)) experience towards its veterancy pool, which is equivalent to the unit's cost.

For example, a Marine (100 points) killing a 1 HP Plasma (500 points) would earn (500 * (1/10)) = 50 experience towards veterancy pool (of 100). Units need to match the veterancy pool to gain one level, and earn at least 2x the veterancy pool to gain two levels.

I personally think veterancy should be awarded at half rate every time you damage a unit instead of having to kill it. For example, a 10 HP Marine attacking a 10 HP Underling for 6 damage would earn (100 * (6/10)) = 60/2 = 30 experience. That way we'd see veterancy play into more games.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14, 2017 07:34

mistercreepy

mistercreepy

What if we don't make veterancy so different but instead let you level up a bit when standing on a city tile. That way you could in theory have a level twelve unit with full health. Maybe...1/3 of the way towards the next level per turn?
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

mistercreepy wrote:What if we don't make veterancy so different but instead let you level up a bit when standing on a city tile. That way you could in theory have a level twelve unit with full health. Maybe...1/3 of the way towards the next level per turn?

That reminds me... I had proposed that engineer class units be able to "train" adjacent units for a set amount of experience each turn...

This gives them something to do in the matchups where they can't special ability or convert... so I thought that could be a good fix to both bring more veterancy as well as bring those units out more in those matchups.

Adding in city exp makes sense gameplay wise AND thematically too. So I would be in favor of one or both of those changes too
eathan

eathan

trineroks wrote:I personally think veterancy should be awarded at half rate every time you damage a unit instead of having to kill it. For example, a 10 HP Marine attacking a 10 HP Underling for 6 damage would earn (100 * (6/10)) = 60/2 = 30 experience. That way we'd see veterancy play into more games.

I like this idea, but half rate might make veteran units too common. Veteran units shouldn't make up too large a percentage of an army. Keeping them rare makes for more interesting gameplay.
eathan

eathan

mistercreepy wrote:...but instead let you level up a bit when standing on a city tile.

What experience are they gaining by just standing on a city though?
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

eathan wrote:
  mistercreepy wrote:...but instead let you level up a bit when standing on a city tile.

Dealing with all the insurgents in the cities and collecting the taxes and then grandma has a shotgun and doesn't want to pay taxes to their new khraleans overlord so BWAM you have to mind control her with your tentacle.

Stuff like that
OmegaD

OmegaD

Duaneski wrote: you have to mind control her with your tentacle.

Agreed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15, 2017 03:05

eathan

eathan

Duaneski wrote:
  eathan wrote:

Dealing with all the insurgents in the cities and collecting the taxes and then grandma has a shotgun and doesn't want to pay taxes to their new khraleans overlord so BWAM you have to mind control her with your tentacle.

Stuff like that

Not sure giving granny the tentacle is the kind of combat experience we're talking about...
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

New Uniwar inside joke, mind control granny with yer tentacle
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

eathan wrote:
  Duaneski wrote:
  eathan wrote:

Stuff like that

Not sure giving granny the tentacle is the kind of combat experience we're talking about...

This has had me laughing for two days now. I just do not know how to respond to this.

Clearly, "giving the tentacle" is now a permanent fixture in my vocabulary:p sorry wifey!
eathan

eathan

Duaneski wrote:Clearly, "giving the tentacle" is now a permanent fixture in my vocabulary:p sorry wifey!

Bah ha ha! I don't think my wife will respond well to the "granny" part, either...
[Avatar]
Vivacious

[Avatar]
Vivacious

A few things I really like about this proposal:
-Veteran Units heal upon gaining the next level of veterancy. They should not heal fully, but should heal some.

-Units gain experience per attack, and bonus exp per kill. I currently like the exp system in uniwar - however, giving a small amount of veterancy exp PER ATTACK (based on damage dealt maybe) seems to make a lot of sense, and would make veteran units a little more prominent

-LOVE the idea of the 'healer' units being able to train/add exp to adjacent units per turn? This may actually become a stalwart in the strategy of many players, especially on bigger maps.

-Additional abilities for max veterancy level would be very interesting. I am not sure if veterancy boosts the base statistics of a unit beyond + max HP (I have never checked), but it should at least do this. More attack/defense or whatever. Not 100% sure if adding new abilities would break the game or not, probably not because max veterancy is somewhat uncommon currently.

-Cities giving exp is also an interesting one. Beyond the economic gain, cities detract from your stats terribly and make your unit quite easy to kill. This would give a bit more incentive to cap that city - I like this idea.

-Also in this vein, for 'mission' type maps, you should be able to assign a veterancy level to units. This of course would apply to mission style only, but would open up a new style where 'hero' type units could be used in missions reminiscent of good old Starcraft.

I think all-in-all, us players want to see the veteran status a little more prevalent in the game. You feel for your marine that gets the kill shot on the walker and goes from a zero to a hero with two badges - however, he's usually defeated in the following turn. I am not saying hand out veterancy badges but increase the effectiveness of veteran units, create other ways to procure EXP (exp on attack, exp from city, training etc.) and it could add a new dynamic to an already fantastic game.

thanks,

Casual Play, Map Maker.
Forum Index » New Feature Request