[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Maps are too easily unrated
Forum Index » General Discussion
Maps should be unrated when
Down = 1/2 up (current) 33% [ 1 ]
Down = 2*up (proposed) 33% [ 1 ]
Down = up 33% [ 1 ]
When a chosen few decide 0% [ 0 ]
Some ratio related to the number of games played 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

Maybe this is all just sour grapes, but i have tried to get a number of maps rated and that is easy. Keeping them rated seems impossible ... at least it does now. I think we are getting rid of far too many interesting maps because people that lose badly take out their poor choices on the map. I.e. i can't have played that badly, this map is obviously flawed, down vote. The problem is people rarely remember to up vote and you only need 50% up to down ratio and the map is gone forever. You see this all the time, just look at the 2200+ xs 2p unrated maps. Start half way down so you skip the new maps and you see many good looking interesting maps (some i 've played) but they are now unrated and will never be seen again.

I have suggested a number of solutions my favourite being same race match up only before any race but today i have a much simpler one.

A map should only become unrated when down is twice up

At the moment the fact that a minority don't like a map is enough for it to be removed from the ranked list. What about the majority that do like it?

We should encourage the creators and quieten the haters.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 07, 2017 00:39

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
FuzzyEukaryote

FuzzyEukaryote

That would make far too many maps rated. Bad maps. :thumbup > :thumbdown might be OK.

If a map gets down voted, you could always ask the community to vote on it. Also, inviting friends to a game with you will let them vote on it too.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

If a map really is that bad then when it reached double down to up you'd really know that no one is liking your map. If you're lucky then you might even have got some feedback by then as to why and you might be able to fix it.

I'd much rather have some bad maps get through and have a larger pool of interesting maps. Than good, (seemingly) well balanced maps disappear.

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

wookieontheweb wrote:If a map really is that bad then when it reached double down to up you'd really know that no one is liking your map. If you're lucky then you might even have got some feedback by then as to why and you might be able to fix it.

I'd much rather have some bad maps get through and have a larger pool of interesting maps. Than good, (seemingly) well balanced maps disappear.

Got news for ya, man, lots and lots and lots of maps are making it into ranked play. Most people are on the other side saying maps need stricter guidelines to being ranked.

I think the current system is Functional personally.

If you have a map you wanna see ranked, post it on chat and you'll get feedback and or votes almost immediately. I frequently see maps get ranked on the spot when posted.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

Duaneski wrote:If you have a map you wanna see ranked, post it on chat and you'll get feedback and or votes almost immediately. I frequently see maps get ranked on the spot when posted.

This is the easy bit and is exactly my point. Many maps have got rated, they reach the magic 25 up (and less than 5 down, normally 0) they become rated. Then they get added to the ranked random list and get some more up, then a torrent of down. As people seem more likely to down vote than up and it only takes half the number of down to up, these ranked maps only stay ranked for a few weeks, then they are gone forever.

Here's an example: Black Diamond by Simsverd
up = 1770
down = 766
Plays = 8076
Currently unrated (if the map browser is to be believed)

31% of the games played were voted on, which is about 16% of the people.

84% were content with the map (or at least didn't express any opinion),
11% of the people voted it up,
5% of the people voted it down
... so its unrated. 95% were okay with this map, 5% weren't so we'll go with the 5% and make it unrated forever!

To get this map back to rated would require up >= 5 * down (i.e. 3830 up with no more down) ... or copying it and resubmitting it and getting another 25 new votes.

What is wrong with this map? Looks fine to me. I enjoyed playing and I even up voted it.
Is it unbalanced? Simsverd made it, if he and his friends can't balance a map what chance do the rest of us have!
Is it too difficult to play well? It's hard and there are some nasty ways you can get caught out early. Maybe some tactics just wont work.
Is it not fun? For some probably, does this mean I shouldn't be able to play it.
Did a minority of people lose badly and down vote because it couldn't have been because of their poor choices? ...

Forum Index » General Discussion