[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
When is a salamander effective?
Forum Index » Khraleans
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I cannot seem to work out any useful way to use a salamander. Are they just a suicide attack unit? Even against sapiens they lack bite. Are they useful in any cases vs titans?
Maybe if their speed on water was significantly improved e.g. movement cost on ocean or water was reduced to 1. Then on some maps they could surprise attack from water and cause havoc to rear defences or artillery lines.
They've been play tested by the top players so there must be something I'm missing with them as is.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
Kohtar

Kohtar

On a naval map they should be good against hydronauts. 4 salamanders should kill 1 hydronaut easily.

Otherwise I think they'll be useful against saps thanks to plague. Especially on a reef-heavy map.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

But 4 salamanders is more than a leviathon and a leviathon seems far more useful.

The plague is only 1 hex radius so you are in hand to hand combat. If you plague then you do no damage this round and potentially some damage in subsequent rounds.

Maybe if they cost 150 they might be worth it. They are a bit better than an underling. Or if the plague was exclusively range 2

Kohtar

Kohtar

Actually I noticed that when I attacked with salamander it also plagued. Don't know whether it's a bug or a feature.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

Ok that definitely makes a difference. The attack options seem to indicate either or, and there is nothing about it in the in game blurb. Attack and plague might justify the 200. I'll have another go at using them.

dr. pepper

dr. pepper

wookieontheweb wrote:I cannot seem to work out any useful way to use a salamander. Are they just a suicide attack unit? Even against sapiens they lack bite. Are they useful in any cases vs titans?
Maybe if their speed on water was significantly improved e.g. movement cost on ocean or water was reduced to 1. Then on some maps they could surprise attack from water and cause havoc to rear defences or artillery lines.
They've been play tested by the top players so there must be something I'm missing with them as is.

The developers seemed to agree as the Salamander just got a bit stronger in both defense strength (6 to and air attack (2 to 3). Do salamanders actually automatically plague when attacking? I know they automatically plague if they defend an attack and don't die.

P.S. I have no idea why an 'eight' is displaying as a sunglasses face icon lol.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 24, 2017 23:54

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

Yeah they have been buffed, which is good. They do indeed plague sapiens if they do any damage and survive, attack or defence. Need to find another chance to use them.

Squidmaster

Squidmaster

Wow, I just lost a tournament game because of the plague feature on the salamander. Like, say you kill it with a helicopter and a marauder or something. Wow now you've got a helicopter and marauder with plague who will almost certainly die. so that's an exchange of 750 to get rid of a unit that is what 200? That's just not viable. And to boot, it was my fist game against an amphibious unit. Does this make it buy to win?

Sorry about the rantiness of it btw
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Squidmaster wrote:Wow, I just lost a tournament game because of the plague feature on the salamander. Like, say you kill it with a helicopter and a marauder or something. Wow now you've got a helicopter and marauder with plague who will almost certainly die. so that's an exchange of 750 to get rid of a unit that is what 200? That's just not viable. And to boot, it was my fist game against an amphibious unit. Does this make it buy to win?

Sorry about the rantiness of it btw

The game dev is working on a feature where you can build any unit (you don't already own) in exchange for watching a SHORT ad...

This feature should've been released before new units added to ranked games. But it wasn't. So, in the meantime, sort of.

Are you aware that if a plagued unit repairs next to an engineer, the plague is removed?

I'm not sure how new you are exactly, but getting plague in most circumstances isn't synonymous with death
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

They are really not that strong, though they are much better (maybe slightly too good but more play time is needed to determine that).

In your example. If you attacked with the marauder first then the chopper, the chopper should not have been plagued because it would have delivered a fatal blow.

What's always bad is the devs make the balance changes during your match, so at the start it was a weak 6 strength unit, then they jump to 8 defence and +1 on a few attacks. With their armour piercing that makes them 10-20% better between turns, sort of like getting a free heal on all your units. That's enough of a shock to a game to make a significant difference!

They can be buy to win now (on the right map at the right time and used correctly), but the pay with ad on build system will even the playing field.

Squidmaster

Squidmaster

yes I know that a plagued unit is not going to spontaneously die (in one turn at least) and can be cured, but really getting plague from an offensive unit is a little bit overpowered. Besides, having salamander with the plague attack also makes the plague attack of the infector less important. Personally, I would like to see the plague attack on the salamander nerfed, despite being a mainly kharalian player simply because it makes it so much easier to start a plague in kvs games.

the copter and marauder died by the way.
[Avatar]
Michaelrn

[Avatar]
Michaelrn

wookieontheweb wrote:...In your example. If you attacked with the marauder first then the chopper, the chopper should not have been plagued because it would have delivered a fatal blow.

Salamander's attack only plague if it causes damage. The fact that an attack delivered on salamander is the killing blow is irrelevant to determine if the attacker will be plagued or not.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I was just repeating what dr pepper said "I know they automatically plague if they defend an attack and don't die." I haven't actually tried that detail myself.

keymaster2

keymaster2

I've noticed that the salamander sometimes deals 1 damage to plasma tanks.I think it deals damage to them on boosts
Capitan sangre

Capitan sangre

One year after the post started and the salamander is still an easy and cheap game changer in K vs S specially when you combined with buried underlings.
Forum Index » Khraleans