[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Rank Reform - Part 2 & 3
Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates
How should CUSTOM games evolve?
Only RANDOM games can be RANKED, no more custom ranked games. 63% [ 52 ]
A separate ladder for CUSTOM ranked games must be created 37% [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 83
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

I think that a reset to 2400 is the least controversial issue.. if you are better you will quickly regain lost points...

What is more controversial is forced randoms and mirror. That said, i believe that 2400 can be a good treshold from where the most serious players have their mirror games.

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
dougman4

dougman4

Ladders: Stop using the term "Ladders" already! ELO Ratings have nothing to do with LADDERS. A ladder is completely independent of a rating, and is simply the current rank of a player globally. If you are 130 globally, in a ladder you would challenge 129 and be challenged by 131 and swap positions based on outcome. Nothing we are talking about resembles a ladder!!

ELO System: You can't have a higher ranked player lose ELO points to a lower ranked player if they merely split their two games (including mirrored) because the race advantage may be the driving force in the outcome. You should instead have a tiebreaker check of units VALUE killed (not quantity) or number of turns to victory to determine whether the lower rated player outplayed the higher rated player to decide if ELO points should be awarded.

Team Play: I don't like having to be tied to particular players for team play. My partner may quit playing, or I may have a falling out, or I may think it fun to play with a variety of players. That only gets more likely with 3 or 4 player teams. So, I think team rating should be independent of teammates as it is now.

Multiple Ratings: I am for having as many separate rating systems as possible, and let us play how we wish. US Chess maintains 3 separate ELO ratings for each player, for example. I think the current rating system should be preserved for those who wish to play in it. I think not allowing the current system to continue as a separate rating is a big mistake, creating a forced nanny state I feel is antithetical to this game. If the game had originally begun with the proposed random system, we would all be universally clamoring for the freedom of custom single/team rated games. Why on earth would we want to kill what is already in place and preferred by many?

Ratings reset: Resetting ratings is not a big deal to me. Are the historical high rankings for each player going to be wiped or preserved? A bit of a shame if not and if previous players are to be completely forgotten.

Random games: Anyone who is experienced knows that the map and races all too frequently make all the difference in random games, so not having forced mirror games will ABSOLUTELY mask true talent level and make the ratings artificial. Since I thought fairness was the whole reason this new system is being forced on us - I can't see how anything other than forced mirror games is suitable.

Solution: I think a forced rated random game with mirror should happen once or twice a month. And, I think the UNIWAR community should jointly preselect a single map that everyone plays on during that particular random game timeframe. So, if it is to be monthly, 12 random maps would be selected during the year with everyone playing on the same map on that month. This solves the problem of unfair maps, as fairer maps can be chosen. And, it solves the problem of some players benefiting from easier maps than others. It normalizes some of the problems associated with random play, and focuses the randomness as being the opponent selected and race if you didn't have a preference.

FFA: If FFA is short for free for all and means a multiplayer non-team game, then I am completely, absolutely, 1000% against allowing FFA to ever be rated. FFA is a complete and utter joke, simply a trivial pass time and nothing more.
anonym551653

anonym551653

I really don't see why every one wants so much change, there should be two ladders, the regular one that counts for everything, and a new random game one. The random games goes into your random game points and regular points. All games that are currently rated should stay that way. If you don't want ffa or team rated don't play it but don't ruin it for those who do like it. My two ladders idea would work for everyone as you get a somewhat competitive ladder and a super serious ladder. Again please don't ruin it for those who like it.
NotJust

NotJust

Let's downgrade all rank to 2400 and make it possible to earn more only in randoms!
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

Thank you to all the players who took the time to read our suggested changes. Thank you for everyone who contributed with their feedback. We will make an official announcement soon with our amended decisions.

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates