[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Bots take your turn instead of getting skipped
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
GreyWulf

[Avatar]
GreyWulf

Skipping a player nearly always means his side will lose from then on. He doesn't get to build new units in anticipation of future turns. He doesn't get to position his troops in response to latest developments of the game. It is a HUGE punishment for missing your turn. Too huge: it hands the entire game to the other side.

If you want the punishment for missing a turn to be this severe, you might as well just have the game give the win to the other side straight away. That's practically what you are doing already.

Instead, how about this? When a player misses their turn, a bot steps in to take the turn for them. It is set to play defensively (i.e. chooses to move a unit to safer ground or heal up, whichever gives it more resilience). It builds to defend its bases as best it can.

If you think this is going easy on the player, consider that bots are not that good at choosing the right thing to build, so he is likely to come back to find his points spent on mediocre units. At least the game will not be ruined for other players or team mates.

If you think that players who miss turns should be dealt with so harshly, you are alienating a lot of players who would like to play tournaments, but don't like getting up in the middle of the night to ensure they don't get skipped.

Many players only get a chance to take their turns once a day. We can are not all programmers, able to reply to a turn notification the moment it arrives.

If you insist on keeping tournaments only as 12 hour turnaround, then at least make it possible to participate without getting punished because you can only take your turns once every 24 hours. Many of us have jobs and families, you know?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 23, 2017 10:24

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

This has been discussed a number of times before.

http://forum.uniwar.com/posts/list/2925.page
http://forum.uniwar.com/posts/list/229.page#1265

Here's 2 I found from a quick search, but I know I've suggested it too.

I think a Fischer clock (or similar) should be used as that would mean much less skipping in the first place due to the ability to store time when playing fast. However it can lead to longer waits before people are kicked. People timing out doesn't bother me much (I'll generally give them a week in case they are on holiday - except in tournaments), but I have 25+ games running concurrently so I always have something to do when I log in.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
R3dRevenge

R3dRevenge

I really don't like this idea.

Players should be punished if they are unable to complete a turn within 24 hours.

I understand that we all have lives outside of the game, so let your opponent know if you are unable to complete your turn. From what I've seen, most of the high ranked players won't skip you if you tell them in advance.

RR
Forum Index » New Feature Request