[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Skipping players in tournaments
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
karmiga

[Avatar]
karmiga

Hello everyone!!

I wanted to ask what your thoughts were on skipping players turns in a tournament (not casual or ranked play). I'm in the 2 v 2 now, and one team had a player who had not signed in for over 5-days. I don't have a problem sending a message, then skipping the turn.

What I want to ask, what are your expectations on allowing someone to play and how long would you wait? We know it's a 12 hour clock on turns, and it's longer because others are taking their time with their turns too. So if a player was last on 5 hours ago and their clock ran out, did they just neglect to play their turn? If they haven't been online for 24 hours, would you skip their turn? How about 18 hours? Is there a pseudo-etiquette regarding good / bad form regarding turns during tournament play?

I don't want to be a jerk and skip a turn at 12:01 for the advantage it will give me, but at the same time I'm not going to negate my turn because you message me that you forgot to build your units. It's part of the game, if you miss something .... suck it up! Made a bad move, we've all done that and possibly will again. So how long is fair to wait during tournament play?

I have never skipped a turn in ranked play, and have sent messages to players that their turn has expired and still waited for them. Hey, we do still have real life to get in the way! Thanks in advance for your feedback!

P.S. - Love the game!
[Avatar]
Paul5678

[Avatar]
Paul5678

I think it's an important question. 12 hours is often not long enough for those of us with jobs and families.

I don't skip players. Instead, I give them an extra 12 hours and then ask if they need more time.

5 days late does seem kind of extreme, though. (I'm glad I've never been in your position.) Did you ask the other team what's up? The play who is online might have a way to check on their teammate.

The problem with skipping is that it pretty much ends the game, and yields all the previous work on the game to be worthless. You'll never know how it would have gone.

As far as unofficial etiquette, it seems like most players will be polite and give extra time if asked, and will refrain from skipping even if not asked. Especially at higher rankings.
Pento

Pento

If someone needs more extra time he should send at least a message to ask for it. We all have a real life too and sometimes it's impossible to make an adequate move in a minute. But before skipping i check when a player was last online. If he was online after his move already expired without sending a message I feel free to skip.
And after 24 hours without any notificación of the opponent as well.
We all agreed to play this game if someone doesn't show up at all, it seems he is not interested in playing.
The Impaler

The Impaler

I never skip unless they skip, they are rude and take 24 hours more than their time, or they are neutral/say nothing and take more than 3 days to move. If someone is nice or asks politely to not be skipped, I wont skip them at all.

The big problem is team tournaments rarely end on time, so delays can influence who wins. in that case, if i were losing id give them about a day before skipping even if they were nice, because they can secure a win by stalling.

With regards to the "I skip unless they ask for time" mentality, I think that is pretty stupid. Literally everyone has some reason, and everyone thanks me for not skipping (with a few exceptions...) I think it goes without saying that people desire extra time, and if they can't sign in to play their turn, maybe they can't sign in to ask for time.

I have only heard from Ankor that NominaThor (i think, not 100% sure) skips quickly. other than him I don't know of any top players that skip. It is very friendly at the top.

edit: elroyomj skips too

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 30, 2017 05:44

Member of the balance team
Highest Score: 2685
Highest Rank: #4
Current Rank: N/A
Highest Championship Ranking: 4th
Highest Tournament Ranking: 4th
Current Record: 131W, 14D, 4L
Winner of Duaneski's mapmaker challenge
Winner of Angkor's 2v2 Grand mapmaking challenge
Winner of Lkasr's 3-Minute Tournament
[WWW]
[Avatar]
killermax636

[Avatar]
killermax636

I agree with most of you.
Note that when every one of us participate a tourney, it means and shows other participants that we are ready to follow the rule and take the consequences. Yes, there could be various matters that make a participant can't move in time, but the fact is that the time is expired and the others get the initiative to skip by the rule, and they don't know and are not required by the rule to know what has caused the delay. Can you be 100% sure that the delayer is encountering an emergency instead of lacking the capacity managing his time for daily life or delaying on purpose? If you can't, then don't confuse the fact with a simple assumption. So that is why people need a request, a reason to wait for a while from the delayer so as not to be likely to skip. When nothing is heard, if one doesn't skip, that is an action of kindness; if he skips, it is nothing to blame, just an action made by observing the rule.
Everyone has his choice and the vision of how they would like the game to be. Don't make your comments on this matter moral abduction.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 20, 2017 14:53

[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

What happened to the 18 hour limit? Wasn't that for consideration?

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
[Avatar]
Paul5678

[Avatar]
Paul5678

I don't remember there being an 18 hour turn option in the past. But I think it would help a lot. If someone is on a date, they won't have even 5 minutes to look at their phone between 6pm and 6am.
Pento

Pento

But if you have a date you know hopefully before 6pm and can ask not to skip. Shouldn't be any problem to write a short message.
That's only fair and respectful.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 23, 2017 15:42

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I have 20+ games running concurrently. It takes quite a while to go through that entire list and add a comment that says I might not be able to move in time. If I found time/internet to open the game I'll probably just move anyway.

It would be nice if there was a holiday flag somewhere in the settings. When it's set and then you run out of time on a game the system automatically posts an Out of Office type message into the global chat. It would need some limits to prevent abuse e.g. collect 1 holiday day per month for a max of 7 days. Turning it on consumes 1 day and every 24hr another day is consumed.

Then your opponent can chose to skip or not as they can now.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
[Avatar]
Angkor

[Avatar]
Angkor

Just don't do it.
Do it if:
- your enemy skipped you somewhere before
- your enemy has reputation of a skipper
- there is a strong possibility your opponent plays to win in time (meaning he's CLEARLY delaying one game in purpose)
- if you just really realy want to
The Impaler

The Impaler

killermax636 wrote:I agree with most of you.
When nothing is heard, if one doesn't skip, that is an action of kindness; if he skips, it is nothing to blame, just an action made by observing the rule.
Everyone has his choice and the vision of how they would like the game to be. Don't make your comments on this matter moral abduction.

You are correct on the former, but I disagree on the latter. Morals ARE the only thing that can help you make a decision here. if your only goal is to win, yes, skip. if you are a moral person and put others happiness in line with your own, then you wont skip. looking at it like a robot would isn't wrong (there is no right and wrong) but its not the way humans should look at it in my opinion.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 30, 2017 05:50

Member of the balance team
Highest Score: 2685
Highest Rank: #4
Current Rank: N/A
Highest Championship Ranking: 4th
Highest Tournament Ranking: 4th
Current Record: 131W, 14D, 4L
Winner of Duaneski's mapmaker challenge
Winner of Angkor's 2v2 Grand mapmaking challenge
Winner of Lkasr's 3-Minute Tournament
[WWW]
[Avatar]
killermax636

[Avatar]
killermax636

With respect, all your statements are based literally on your imagination and a mere impulse to contradict others rather than even a little bit of possible actual situation. Have you ever thought over why the devs set the function of skipping? No I suppose. When you are saying "put others' happiness in line with your own", did you know what it feels like when, say, someone deliberately delays, causing meaningless drain on your time and energy? Still no I suppose. Moral requires us to be responsible for both others and ourselves, instead of benefiting either while impairing the other without any principle. Also, moral is what we should bear when we ACT, rather than something distorted and put up as a flag to make high-sounding, aggressive but deficient arguments, since people would feel antipathy in the other way. So I suggest we put down the argument right here since both you and me have made ourselves clear. Wish you have had fun here.
Abie

Abie

Here is my two cents that goes SPECIFICALLY towards solo tournaments.

There are two games. If your opponent says nothing and you want to give your opponent a warning, skip them in only ONE of the two games, not both. Next time they do it, skip them in both.

It's that simple to me.

keymaster2

keymaster2

i skip enemies when they don't play because people skip me.the players should play on time and most of the time it helps as most of the time i am losing to the player i skip
keymaster2

keymaster2

once i skipped someones turn and it allowed me to get rid of a plasma tank and a mecha which meant they had nothing to protect other units they may play near my units
Forum Index » General Discussion