[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Mapmaker's chatroom
Forum Index » New Feature Request
OmegaD

OmegaD

Please make a separate chatroom for mapmakers.

I don't want to have to install a separate teenage messaging service (kik) to have my maps reviewed by competent people.
Eikonoklastes

Eikonoklastes

I can see why you would want to have one, but I can't see how SH would be able to create a space to meet your needs. They would need to create a space that only map makers would be able to access, but that raises questions concerning how to go about doing so in a fair manner. Who would determine a players right to access the map making chat? Automate it by making the chat only visible or accessible to those who have created a map or a certain number of maps? That wouldn't stop the trolls from harassing the map making community. Make access by invitation only with a moderator or group of moderators serving as gatekeepers? I can easily see them being overwhelmed by requests and seeing that moderators work for free, it wouldn't be fair or reasonable to thrust such a duty upon them.

As cumbersome as it is, you will probably have to continue relying on third party applications if you want to regulate and control who can take part in the conversation. That being said, there are numerous options besides Kik. For example, you could use irc (internet relay chat) and create a Uniwar channel. While it won't have the emojis that some players love using, an irc channel is very customizable in terms of controlling who can see the channel, who can access it, and the rules governing what is and is not allowed inside the channel. There are a slew of free apps, and it can be run on a pc or Mac as well (irc predates smartphones by more than a decade, so they're made for computers). You just need to select a server and register a channel.

Just throwing a thought out there. After all, as a player I have a vested interest in seeing the map making community continue growing and thriving.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I just read this as a Map Makers section in this forum in the same way there is a Features, Bugs, Russian, Web Site, etc.

I don't see why you need or want to restrict the poster's to that section, after all we're all map makers if we want to be!

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
The Impaler

The Impaler

just download kik, ya big baby.

+1 to eik.

yoda, lodeous and myself (as well as a few others) are active mods there, so we do it how we like without worrying what spooky says or asking for them to give features they never will have time for. even if you get that going the map makers will still use kik, because its already been established.

honestly i dont get what your hangup about "teenage" apps are. seems kinda closed minded. just cus it was made for younger people doesnt mean it has any sort of branding that way, its just a blank canvas for convenient sharing.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 21, 2017 02:18

Member of the balance team
Highest Score: 2685
Highest Rank: #4
Current Rank: N/A
Highest Championship Ranking: 4th
Highest Tournament Ranking: 4th
Current Record: 131W, 14D, 4L
Winner of Duaneski's mapmaker challenge
Winner of Angkor's 2v2 Grand mapmaking challenge
Winner of Lkasr's 3-Minute Tournament
[WWW]
[Avatar]
MasterYoda

[Avatar]
MasterYoda

Kik works VERY well. Probably better than any map makers side chat on uniwar? I would give it a try 90% of all significant actice map makers are already there

MasterYoda
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

MasterYoda wrote:90% of all significant actice map makers are already there

The remaining 10% are made up of insignificant map makers like myself, random high ranking players and people who've wandered into the wrong chat room

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
Forum Index » New Feature Request