[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Bot behavior guide (in scenarios)
Forum Index » User Generated Maps
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Bot behavior - 3/27/2018

(I'm sure there may be updates in the future. I'll attempt to update this post when/if that occurs.)

This guide is essentially a 'how to' for how to build scenarios with Bots in the CTF and Destory All Units scenario types. I did not test this for "survive X rounds."

1. the bots in the map maker act differently than the "online bots" (Eva and the gals). So just keep that in mind if you're trying to test. You'll see different results with "real" testing!
2. The bots "frenzy" with any OWNED harbors ANYWHERE on the map. The owner harbors do not need to be accessible via any path finding. Their existence makes ALL bot controlled units actively seek and destroy enemy units.
3. NEUTRAL harbors cause SOME enemy units to "frenzy" (my testing showed boarfly, Swarmer, and helicopter frenzied. It seems that it impacts aerial units only. I didn't test for Garuda. And 2/3 boarfly activated. I'm not sure why. So, this is maybe a bit buggy).
4. If a NEUTRAL harbor becomes an OWNED harbor, it DOES trigger 1. Above! (All enemy units frenzy).
5. Bases, BOTH owned and neutral cause the same behavior as 3 above.
6. Enemy units who are not "frenzied" will remain stationary until they can see (with their vision score) an enemy unit. ***need to test: do they become active once attacked, even if they can't see attacking unit.
7. ***needs tested: do adjacent enemy units that can see an enemy activate nearby enemy units?
8. FOW has no impact on bot behavior whatsoever.
If anyone has anything to add let me know. I have those two scenarios I need to test. But hopefully this gives you all a nice template to work with.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

10 bots will never move away from a unit assimilation.
11 fairly sure bot never assimilate or use their special e.g. uv, bury, submerge.
12 bot (in frenzy) will always move if possible before attack
13 cannot negotiate impassible terrain longer than something ... i think it's 2 moves. The A* algorithm they are using is probably restarted each time so they get stuck. Processing maps when they are submitted and generating way points for each unit type and storing that data in the map would solve this.
14 do bots use gang up deliberately? ** needs testing
15 bots avoid cities even when they generate safe income
16 bot can never be player 1

I'll be playing some bot games with the new map challenge I'll look out for more.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

11 is incorrect. Bots will use UV and other special abilities.

Edit: not sure about bury and submerge. But they do convert units and use EMP/plague/UV

Edit 2: thanks for the other additions good to have as much knowledge in here as possible!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 28, 2018 01:13

[Avatar]
Pero

[Avatar]
Pero

11 bot rarely but sometimes assimilates, friend or foe, it doesn't care.
14 bot isn't aware of gang up bonus, it will accidentally stumble into correct play order that benefits from it using it.
17 if it can, bot will always attack after move, potentially triggering behavior #11
18 bot can attack submerged unit without seeing it (having a friendly unit next to or above submerged target).
caff

caff

19 bot doesn't understand terrain,it moves onto any terrain regardless of bonus
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

Do you have any idea how the bots build?

Which bases they build on, the units they choose and whether they save credits. I've certainly seen them build every unit type with the exception of support units (not saying they definitively haven't just saying i don't remember it). I've certainly seen them build boats and artillery on any level that goes on long enough even if there are low credits per turn, but they might just be cheating and getting credit boosts or free builds.

caff

caff

bots usually use support to back up other units e.g an infector
hehind a wyrm.Also they try to build units to cover up their bases and harbours.That is why they build boats on harbours on no iincome

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

There's a bug in the map play test that means that bots sub units are built on the surface. It behaves correctly on the main game.

20 bots will attack a capping unit even if they can't kill it, it just wastes health.

caff

caff

I thought bots were meant to have surfaced sub units.I've never seen a submerged sub unit made by a bot
Forum Index » User Generated Maps