[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Extra Fog of War mode
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I have been playing a few 8 player FFA maps recently (testing with JEFFPH79) and something I have noticed is the match is very tedious once you've been knocked out! All you see is a faded map and watching the whole match in replay later is just not the same (you lose all the suspense of the will they make/prevent that base cap, survive the big push, etc).

So one option is to turn off FOW but that has the Titan teleport issue.

What I'd like is a halfway step. The FOW is on but you can see all the units within it.

That way us spectators in the 8 player FFA can still get to watch what's going on rather than having a dead game slot for 2+ months! (I'm unlikely to be either of the last 2 standing)

... perhaps this mode should be the default as it negates the whole scouting/undo arguments relating to FOW (carefully tries to replace lid on can marked worms).

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
IvanK

IvanK

In general it would be great if titan teleport range was not unlimited in no FOW games. One way to make it consistent between FOW and no FOW would be to limit teleport to tiles inside friendly unit vision range listed in unit stats.
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

IvanK wrote:In general it would be great if titan teleport range was not unlimited in no FOW games. One way to make it consistent between FOW and no FOW would be to limit teleport to tiles inside friendly unit vision range listed in unit stats.

That's what makes titans look good, the teleport on visible tiles, however they have the worst reaction time against team gangups bc of how expensive their army is and also the delay of teleports. I'd say I'd keep.

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
IvanK

IvanK

LkASr wrote:
  IvanK wrote:In general it would be great if titan teleport range was not unlimited in no FOW games. One way to make it consistent between FOW and no FOW would be to limit teleport to tiles inside friendly unit vision range listed in unit stats.

That's what makes titans look good, the teleport on visible tiles, however they have the worst reaction time against team gangups bc of how expensive their army is and also the delay of teleports. I'd say I'd keep.

But the problem is that in no fog of war games all tiles are visible, basically changing rules on how teleport work. This gives titans distinct tactical boost that no other race gets. While you can lawyer that ability wording technically allows it, I'd say it's not really in the spirit of the game.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

This is exactly the point of this statement
> What I'd like is a halfway step. The FOW is on but you can see all the units within it.

What is happening in the code is the map data is received and has in it the locations of all the units on the map. The code processes the map and generates the FOW. Then as it draws each map tile it will use logic something like:

** I'm suggesting this new mode that just draws the unit anyway but otherwise leaves the tile in the fog.
NOTE: The actual logic is certainly more complex than this e.g. submerged units, terrain considerations, movement of units etc

When a titan player looks at that area of the map it would all still be grey so they couldn't teleport but there would be units visible within the gloom ... and then I would be able to watch the continuing 8 player FFA after my untimely demise.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
Forum Index » New Feature Request