[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Things to do when a FFA player resigns
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

In FFA games one of the common house rules that players adhere to, to make it fair for everyone, is that when you are getting beaten you play to the bitter end.

The reason is simple. If a player just quits when they lose their first base, then that opponent gets to walk across their bases taking everything usually without any resistance. That credit increase is just devastating and an otherwise intense and interesting fight elsewhere becomes a walkover.
Unfortunately it is really quite depressing to have to play a game in that losing seat and you probably aren't focused on playing the best moves - you really would just like to quit, but you promised you wouldn't.

Some options:
1 - Enforce the house rule by removing the resign option
* Doesn't work because resign also includes timeouts
2 - Let the player be controlled by an AI
* This doesn't feel right
* For high ranked players it might not matter but for lower ranks this might actually be a challenge!
* What if someone makes an AI that's MUCH better?
* There's a whole load of random now in the system for ZOC and units taking damage where before they might not
3 - Remove their bases
* Seems unfair on the player that has been fighting on both those fronts to now not get a reward
4 - Reveal their bases to everyone (kind of team player to everyone)
* You just get to watch as their bases are capped
* Titans can now teleport in

My suggestion:
Change bases to cities
* If you are in the process of capping you get to keep the base (probably right but it could be you just end up standing on a city)
* As the attacking player you can still benefit from a surge of credits but you will need to commit a sizeable chunk of your army and unlike bases you can't simply build locally to get the next one.
* It is much easier to contest cities due to the inherent weakness of units on them.
* It doesn't give you positional advantage
* It's not a big code change because as it is the lost bases are changed from owned base tiles to empty base tiles.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

Agree it's a good idea
The Impaler

The Impaler

I agree. My solution has been to just not play with people who quit, and now I just wont play with strangers at all.

Member of the balance team
Highest Score: 2685
Highest Rank: #4
Current Rank: N/A
Highest Championship Ranking: 4th
Highest Tournament Ranking: 4th
Current Record: 131W, 14D, 4L
Winner of Duaneski's mapmaker challenge
Winner of Angkor's 2v2 Grand mapmaking challenge
Winner of Lkasr's 3-Minute Tournament
[WWW]
Stragulator

Stragulator

This is a really well put together argument and your solution is awesome. You have my vote

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 18, 2018 06:52

Forum Index » New Feature Request