[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Flying unit height
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Otdoy

[Avatar]
Otdoy

Hi there! I'm pretty new to Uniwar, and having a great time scrapping away. I like it enough that I paid 12.99! Shame on me for admitting that No but seriously, it's a fabulous game, particularly because it's so well-balanced. Congratulations to the developers.

Anyway, in the past when I've gotten into new games, a creative idea will come to me when I'm first exposed to the game... and then it never happens again So why not write this one out, before I forget? Here's what came up one morning as I was half asleep...

How about two possible heights for flying units? Regular and high altitude.
This would be somewhere along the lines of the Khral bury ability, but have more effects, all of them subtle.

Implementation :
- No need for new sprites, simply de-saturate the color of an air unit at High altitude
- No new units for any race (except possibly a tiny Scout unit for Titans)
- A flying unit can either Move or Change altitude, not both in the same turn
- Flying units spawn at Low (regular) Altitude by default

Generally speaking, going to High Altitude would have the following effects :
- Increase vision range by +1
- Give a small attack and defense penalty (-1/-1?)
- Lower movement cost over deep water, to same as shallow water

Unit-specific effects :

Khralean Borfly - cannot go to High Altitude. (Or maybe it can? and can fire one hex further, but with a severe Offense/Defense penalty?)
Khralean Swarmer - gets no Offense/Defense penalty at High Altitude, but exerts no Zone of Control either.

Titans - they have no flying units - could it be interesting to add a tiny Scout unit?
- Good vision range, highly mobile
- Weak offense / defense
- Cannot occupy Cities
- Exerts no Zone of Control

Sapiens Battery and Titans Walker
- can "see" flying units at High Altitude 1 hex further than their regular vision range
- cause +2 damage to a unit at High Altitude that is within close range

Anyway! These are just crazy ideas that came to me. Thanks for your time.... and hope to see you on the battlefield.

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I quite like this idea, but it would take ages to balance it right. Also I'm not sure people like the idea of diluting the Titan army with flying units.

It is also quite a bit of work to implement, especially all the extra range adjustments and ZOC changes you mentioned. Also means that deep water is no longer a wall for aerial, which could unbalance/break quite a few maps.

Those are all details though and could be worked through. Perhaps this is an exclusive ability for some future new Sapiens unit e.g. Jet

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
[Avatar]
Otdoy

[Avatar]
Otdoy

Yes, the idea might only be worthwhile for longer games on bigger maps, where there is more build-up of an army and strategies are played out over a longer term.
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

Or simply disregard aerial units from ZoC (except themselves), tho still can't park over units below them

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
The Impaler

The Impaler

All great ideas! Unfortunately there's really no reason to implement them. for veteran players it would be a fresh idea to play with, but it would confound a game that is already difficult to learn for new players.

Member of the balance team
Highest Score: 2685
Highest Rank: #4
Current Rank: N/A
Highest Championship Ranking: 4th
Highest Tournament Ranking: 4th
Current Record: 131W, 14D, 4L
Winner of Duaneski's mapmaker challenge
Winner of Angkor's 2v2 Grand mapmaking challenge
Winner of Lkasr's 3-Minute Tournament
[WWW]
Forum Index » New Feature Request