[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Circular
Forum Index » Bad maps - to be voted out of the rated pool!
Big Papa Zero 7

Big Papa Zero 7

Circular
By: El-mo
6 players

I try not to complain about maps too often as there are lots of strategies to be employed, but this one is just... not good. It's in tourney play somehow. I go last as titans and and am pitted against the same khral opposite me in both spots. There is nothing I can do as the high credit start amount allows them to get snakes at both locations and from there my options become extremely limited. The terrain is unforgiving and I am forced to quickly capitulate. It is possible that other matchups are more balanced, but from my viewpoint the map needs editing and should be removed for the time being.

I could go on about edits all day, you could change this or do that, move this here, blah blah, but it's not my map to fix and I have stated my opinion on the subject.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21, 2020 16:11

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

It is very difficult to remove maps from the ranked pool for multiplayer maps because it takes so long, so they appear in random ranked play for quite some time. Just keep down voting it whenever it is played especially when you win. Get others to agree and to vote it down too.

If it was in a tournament then that means it was selected by someone who feels it is balanced enough and often means it will be played in mirror mode.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
Big Papa Zero 7

Big Papa Zero 7

What you are saying makes sense. The map is probably balanced for most match-ups, but in the (one) game I have an issue with I am unable to assist my team or plan any strategy. My only real option is to die and that just seems like a bad way to make/play a team map. Shouldn't games be about strategy and skill, not chance race and placement? I'm no pro, so if there is someone out there who can provide me with good strategies for this map in the situation described, please invite me to a game opposite of you and show me, because I was unable to come up with anything.

And...

Does no one here have the power to look into these map issues, make a decision, and remove them? What's the point of this thread then? It can't just be a place to complain, can it? I mean, I'm all for democracy, but sometimes you need one person with the power to just get things done. It's silly to allow a map to remain in ranked circulation like this. Even if a map is fair 95% of the time, it's not enough. Ranked maps should be fair for each and every possible matchup, not just a majority of them.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

First i should point out that almost nobody uses this forum anymore. I am probably the most active on it other than the formal announcements. Most people use the in game chat. Second, balance is very tricky and it gets exponentially more tricky with each extra player. It is one of the most frequent conversations in uniwar and not just for maps (see the map chat in game).

I have personally considered this http://forum.uniwar.com/posts/list/3242.page but i am still in the process of implementing a proof of concept.

This sub forum was created, long long ago, to get people to collectively vote down bad or unbalanced maps (you used to be able to vote on maps without playing), but it has always had limited success.

The main problem in uniwar is, does a truly balanced map exist, even in theory? The earliest solution to this problem was the revenge option. If it is as unbalanced as you say then you will easily win the revenge game and your rank points will be returned. And if you lose you might learn some new tricks.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
Big Papa Zero 7

Big Papa Zero 7

I see your point. But the game in question is a tournament game and I believe has no revenge option... So it is a map where you will lose (based on the situation I put forward) strictly because of your race and settings/placement by the map maker. This is silly.

I understand what you are saying about this forum being used to collectively vote and influence whether maps are ranked or unranked, but if a map is found with a visible and understood flaw, why not remove it from ranked play? It seems like an inefficient system. Someone needs to be steering the ship and correcting course sometimes.

I like the ideas you put forward in the other post you linked to. And I agree that different people see maps differently based on a number of factors, and while one person feels it is a fair map, another may not. But there is a difference between feeling a map is unfair and knowing it is. For those maps that you are able to test and verify as unfair (to the point where skill doesn't matter) there should be a way to remove it from ranked. Or maybe there is a team of map testers going through and playing multiple games on a single map with all different races and they decide whether it's ranked or not? There are enough intelligent people playing that a group of them could look for issues together and make an informed decision.

The revenge addition to the game was a great idea.

But... Apparently this is just a discussion between you and i, and I'm guessing you are unable to remedy the situation as it currently stands... So... I guess that's the end of this discussion.

Thank you for your time.
Forum Index » Bad maps - to be voted out of the rated pool!