[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Yet another cheap exploit
Forum Index » Guides & Tips
rarebitfiend

rarebitfiend

This has happened to me a couple of times now:

- Person starts a 3-minute game
- I join the game
- Person waits an hour or more to start the game (in one case an hour, in the other at least a day) and I forget about it. In both cases I was checking every few minutes to see if it started yet then lost track when it looked like the game was never going to start.
- I come back to see I was defeated and lost ranking because my turns were skipped 3x.

I'm more than willing to admit it's partly my fault for losing track of the game, but these people (different names both times) obviously have figured out that you can get a free win this way. After all they can wait an unlimited amount of time to start, and if they hold off longer than thirty minutes or so on a 3 minute game it's likely the other person won't be standing by.

So, be warned, and you should probably abandon games that take too long to start. I wouldn't recommend joining short games with folks you don't know at all unless this was fixed. If it even can be fixed.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jul 27, 2009 22:18

GERMANator

GERMANator

I only join those 3 min games when they were created couple min ago and if i have a couple moves to make.
My advice dont join games that have been created couple days ago and and abandon the game before you
quit the app if it didnt start.

But i think you must have made at least one move, if the game starts without your notice and it is not a team game where your team member makes a move and you dont you cant lose points. You get skipped 2 and then removed and you dont lose points if you get removed or surrender within the first 3 rounds.
nixoncc

nixoncc

He's right - if you didn't play and your turns were skipped you wouldn't have lost points. So either you didn't lose points...or you played and lost...
Anonymous

Anonymous
YES. I GET HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK.

But it happened as I reported it. Join the game, it never starts, come back and see that I lost (without making a move, and only starting units) and lost ranking points as well.

I wouldn't be reporting it if I just lost a few games from skipping. There's some new exploit, and hardly the first (there's another I've been hit with where someone seems to have endless cash).

tijuana

tijuana

I thought I had this problem too but it was my fault. It's easy to loose track when you have many games going. Plus some times people will wait a long while to skip you the first time to give you a chance to come back and then skip you quickly the remaining times if you keep missing turns.

I don't think this is an exploit unless anyone else has seen it. Probably your mistake no offense.
aepryus

aepryus

There is a caveat to the 3 turn rule; if the other player win's outright. On some of the boards it is possible to capture your opponent's bases within 3 turns (well at least cover them, therefore meeting victory conditions). So, if you start a 3 minute game on one of those boards... wait for the person to stop paying attention and then capture his bases within 3 turns... points will be awarded.

However, there is a simple counter to this. When I join 3 or 10 min games, I will pay attention for a while. If the game hasn't started before I get bored of waiting, I simply leave the game -- problem solved.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 28, 2009 18:33

aguyinNH

aguyinNH

This just happened to me too. I bailed on the game after cursing the other player for such a dirty move. In my case I joined the game and checked every couple of minutes for an hour. Nothing. Then I had to get dinner ready for my kids and what do you know - the game had started and my turn was skipped.

Easy solution for Uniwar Dev team: for ALL games set the FIRST turn time limit to the GREATER of either a) game turn limit parmameter OR 12 hours. That should be time enough to check in and see them game has started. After that, normal parms apply.
Anonymous

Anonymous
... Or, fix skip turns and only allow it once and then kick instead of 3x... Considering many of the players already think skip is broken...
The Dogalyst

The Dogalyst

Twelve hour rule for first turn just shifts the exploit to the other player, who can wait hours before starting and the first player gets screwed.

The solution is simple: Uniwar should not allow three minute games to start unless both sides are online. If you set up a 3 minutes game, and you go offline, then the game is deleted. If someone accepts your challenge, the clock starts immediately for the first player.
Anonymous

Anonymous
I've been "gotten" this way a few times too. Really annoying. Though telling everyone how to do it on the forum probably doesn't help matters.
magic molly

magic molly

Anonymous wrote: I've been "gotten" this way a few times too. Really annoying. Though telling everyone how to do it on the forum probably doesn't help matters.

Actually, it does. The devs check here quite often, while only a few hundred of us check the forums. Plus, most of the forum users are the less cheating users (just in general, not 100% rule).

Personally, i think it's the addition of android that is causing all this. It's a much easier OS to break an app in than the iphone.

Also, why have 3 min turns at all? 10 minutes is already ungodly short of a turn, and the whole point of the game is to have fun and use skill to win, not just skip people.
Anonymous

Anonymous
I would think it's a lot more likely that the fact this activity has increased a ridiculous amount lately has more to do with people being aware the exploit is possible, than that a bunch of hackers have figured out how to decompile the game in Android and mess with the code.

Yes, only a few hundred may check the forums, but all you need is a few dozen to ruin it for everyone and I don't have the same faith you do that everyone here is pure of heart.

As far as 3 minute turns- why question anything any more, the devs really don't seem to understand the game they designed or how to make it easy to deal with people who are abusing all the exploits. The fact that you're available by default to be spammed with invites that you have to surrender to decline, the skip turns problem, allowing anonymous players, the many unbalanced maps and many other things are more and more making this game unplayable.

After some of the behavior I had to put up with this weekend I'm through with Uniwar entirely.
deuvy

deuvy

don't start 3m games then if you joined one and that happened you wouldn't be penalized points
rolando

rolando

Is this exploit still happening for some players?
commentor

commentor

Devs, just make it so that 3m, 10m, 1h games start immediately as soon as all slots are filled. player 1 should not have the added advantage of deciding when to start the game. that will prevent people from creating a dozen 3m games and waiting to start the games until their opponent goes offline.

on a sidenote, i think there should be an option or filter to never show 3m/10m/1h games in the open games list. that would also prevent a lot of "accidental" joins by people who unintentionally join a 3m/10m/1h game.
Forum Index » Guides & Tips