[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
In-game chat icon alerts
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
soupnet

[Avatar]
soupnet

Call me a perfectionist but I find it strange that the chat icon in the game doesn't light up or otherwise signify that there are unread messages. Most of the time I don't even notice when people have been talking to me.

Anyone else thought about this?
newuser

newuser

The chat icon gets a little badge when there are new messages, but it doesn't light up immediately ... it seems to take 20-30 seconds after you get into a turn before it lights up.
[Avatar]
soupnet

[Avatar]
soupnet

Ah, maybe I wasn't paying enough attention...

Perhaps it needs to look a little more obvious, it's never caught my eye.
GameShaman

GameShaman

I just started playing a couple weeks ago and used to message people with no reply. The first time I actually had a message, I saw the icon on the page and it was very obvious. Once you know the icon exists, your mind will always look for it when taking your turn and you won't miss it again.
[Yahoo!] [ICQ]
Anonymous

Anonymous
yeah they need to make it more obvious, like a big red box in the middle of the screen that appears as soon as you enter the game, notifying you that you have a message. currently, it's too easy to miss messages from your teammate before making your first move of the turn because the T badge may not appear immediately.
GameShaman

GameShaman

They simply need to load the chat messages sooner. I think it is a safe assumption that they don't know there are messages when you first load the game, so they can do nothing extra there. As soon as the message data reaches the game, the icon appears. I believe they did this because they believed that game data is more of a priority to send than chat data and didn't want prevent you from being able to see/play the game by having to wait for the chat. They simply need to change the design so that the game doesn't finish loading until all of the chat data is received as well.
[Yahoo!] [ICQ]
Anonymous

Anonymous
why shouldn't they treat team chat messages equally important as game data? if you make a bad move because you didn't see the message indicator, then who cares if the game data got sent first? they should be synchronous and there's no technical reason they shouldn't be.
[Avatar]
soupnet

[Avatar]
soupnet

Yeah after playing the game for a while (and loving it!) the chat icon is quite obvious to me. I think for noobs though the chat symbol should flash/pulse/glow/something. I have learned to wait for messages to come through in team games, but unfortunately the people I'm playing with complain that they didn't see my messages before they had made their moves.

If it really does compromise transmission times to send chat data then fair enough. It would be great if they could find a way though.
[Avatar]
Kevor

[Avatar]
Kevor

Yes, the delayed chat is a very annoying thing. So many team games I screwed up a move, because the chat icon was not on when the game first loaded, I started moving, and then after it was too late saw that one of my teammates wanted me to do something. Oooops! Too late! Anyway, these days I have taken to always checking the replay first. By the time the replay is done, if you have mail, the chat icons will be on. A bit annoying, but there you are....

No battle plan survives contact with the enemy...
(Helmuth von Moltke, Generalfeldmarschall of the Prussian Army)
rolando

rolando

Just to update on this, the new update (v1.0.5) will pull messages the moment you load a game. In addition, an icon will display in the Current Games list next to a game if there are messages waiting for you!

No more waiting for messages (unless a player is sending one while you're already in the game).

Forum Index » New Feature Request