[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Skipping a player to win points (first turn).
Forum Index » New Feature Request
poonly

poonly

I joined a 3min game and the player who started the game was offline. I came back in about 5 mins. later and my 1st turn had been skipped. This allowed the player to take one of my bases (marshes level). I don't think you should be allowed to skip a players 1st turn. If you want to kick that player out of the game on the first turn then albeit, but skipping them in the beginning gives the other player(s) a huge advantage and does not let the skipped player a chance to get out without loosing points.

I like quick 3min games, but it's hard to time the start if the player that initiated the game is offline when you join their game.
Anonymous

Anonymous
If someone pulls something like this in the first round then just surrender, you don't lose ratings points for surrendering until the 4th round (and stuff like this is one reason why)

But yes as much as I appreciate the new changes I wish the devs would do something about "skip turns", it causes far more problems than it solves.
Anonymous

Anonymous
Theres a lot of players who abuse the skip feature in different ways to get cheap wins especially with three minute games.You're better off playing 1 day with strangers
Anonymous

Anonymous
Is there anyone here who actually thinks the new skip turns system is a good thing?
GameShaman

GameShaman

Anonymous wrote: Is there anyone here who actually thinks the new skip turns system is a good thing?

I don't have feelings either way about it, but in general, people don't come to a forum to say how much they like something, only to complain about it. So assuming the whole community feels a certain way about something based on a few forum posts is a bad assumption. It's the few people who don't like something or don't understand it that come to the forum to complain. They may only represent 5% of the population, but it appears they represent everyone because they are the only ones posting about the subject.

I'm not saying this is true about this topic, only in general from many years of gaming and posting in forums. Which is why I hope the devs do not assume their entire player base feels the same as 2 or 3 people on a forum just because they are the only ones speaking out. They could just as easily be in the minority as they are in the majority. In general, from my experience, they are more often than not in the minority, but appear to be in the majority because they are the only ones speaking out.

"It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch".

As I said, I don't necessarily feel this applies to this topic, but they way you asked your question prompted me to make this post. Asking if anyone likes something on a gaming forum and getting no response or only a few negative responses doesn't mean the entire community feels that way. Far from it. There are only a small percentage of a games player base that actually make the attempt to seek out the forum. Most do so when they encounter a problem or don't like something. Few seek it out because the game is everything they ever wanted it to be.

I've seen many bad changes to games over the years because a few people feel a certain way about something. The devs then make the change based on this small opinion and then the forums erupt with even more people complaining about it, wondering why the devs would ever even consider making such an idiotic change.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off of my chest, as it seems a lot of the people on these forums assume that because they see 3 or 4 people on a forum that agree with them and no one or few people disagreeing with them, that they are in the majority. That is a bad assumption. Opinions on forums rarely represent the feelings of the community as a whole.

~Jeff
[Yahoo!] [ICQ]
q

q

Yes... But that doesn't mean people like it, either. You should also consider that this is a small community so the voices on the forums might mean a little more than on a major game.

When someone drops out of a 1-day game you have to skip them three times (meaning, it takes three days)

When you have five games where people have dropped out it's a real hassle (since it takes a good minute or two to get through all the options) and it takes up slots that could go to games where the other person is actually playing.

I don't play 3 minute games but there's been some varying reports of funny business abusing the skip turns as well.

It's not a dealbreaking problem and if this is the way it was from the beginning I'd probably just be inclined to accept it as yet another poor UI choice from an iPhone game. Not like it's the first. But it was an update and a supposed improvement to "fix" something that wasn't a problem and actually makes the game experience a little worse in my opinion. That's why it's so maddening to me. Can't speak for anyone else of course but I had to respond to you implying that the vast majority likes the feature.

I just surrender instead of skipping because it's much easier. But I don't mind losing ratings. If that's something you care about I can see where it's a problem. I would suggest it's something that should be looked at. Perhaps one mandatory skip before being able to kick is enough because three really seems like overkill.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14, 2009 14:47

Anonymous

Anonymous
GameShaman - I dont understand why you think that the poeple on this forum would not represent a good cross section of player opinions in general.

There are scores of players on this forum (I think) and I cannot recall seeing even 1 player say that the new skip turn system is an improvement as is.

Thats why I asked if anyone does think its an improvement. If so they should speak up now.
If they dont speak up they should not be suprised when it is changed again.
nixoncc

nixoncc

You guys have made good points. In my humble opinion - if you sign up for a 3 minute game - be prepared to check your phone every three minutes. I don't know why it is such a surprise when people get skipped. I myself have not skipped a person to come back and have the game end because I myself have been skipped three times. The other person usually gives no indication to when they will be back - 5 minutes or 5 hours. If you get skipped and catch it just surrender like others have suggested - you lose no ranking points. If you are skipped 3 times - you probably shouldn't have been playing a game with turns that short in the first place.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Nixoncc, your humble opinion misses the fact that people will set up 3 minute games and not actually start them for hours. You're going to check your phone every three minutes for six hours to see if the game started yet? That kind of defeats the purpose of playing a 3 minute (i.e. quick) game to me.

I'd suggest never joining 3 minute games with strangers, or making sure you abandon them if they don't start within 15 minutes or so. Otherwise yes the person can "skip" you to victory.
nixoncc

nixoncc

I guess I'm the only person sensible enough to use the abandon button. Check your phone - if the game doesn't start - abandon and play another game. You have many options...don't play a map that can be won in three turns. There are only a few of these where the opponent can actually win if you are skipped three times. This way - worse case scenario you get skipped three times and don't lose any ranking points. So what? If you see you are being skipped - surrender...also not a big deal. Is it just me - or are people complaining about insignificant things to complain. You chose the games you sign up for, you can exit those games at any time prior to start, and can choose maps that don't make you lose ranking points if you lose. What's the problem?
[Avatar]
gunther84

[Avatar]
gunther84

Yeah, I don't join three minuet games unless i will be keeping a eye on my current games for a little while. I don't know about anyone else, but I am always checking and reading different things on my iPhone. Its not hard to be reading a article on one web site, or reading your email, and keep checking you current games status. If my game does not go off, I abandon it, if it has, usually the individual who set it up is online and ready to get beat down.....HARD.....yeah I said it. I can back it up too. [b]
Forum Index » New Feature Request