[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Make Your Own Maps - How To Tutorial
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

1. Go here: http://javaground.com/solution.html
and click on the bottom link called "Get a free trial of the Xpress Suite!"

2. Request a free trial of the Xpress Suite that contains the level editor tool used in UniWar.
(here is a screenshot of it)

3. Wait for a day until you get your account credentials.

4. Follow the instructions in your email and download the Xpress Suite.

5. Install the Xpress Suite on your computer. NOTE: it does not work on an iPhone.

6. Unzip this project on your computer anywhere.

7. Start the Level Editor module of the Xpress Suite (can be found in the Javaground Xpress Suite folder of your programs).

8. Go to File -> Open Project. At the browser prompt, select the location where you expanded the ZIP file you downloaded and go inside the Uniwar-LevelEdition directory. (the File Name: field of the Load project box should end with Uniwar-LevelEdition).

9. Click on the "Select Directory" button.

10. Voila! You are now presented with the resource browser tab that shows a few of the actual UniWar maps. These are to be used as a tutorial on how to create maps.

11. Now you can create your own map by selecting the menu Level -> New Level. Click ok on the Set Tileset Group.

12. You can add tiles in any direction by pressing down the CTRL key and using the arrows to indicate the direction in which you want to add tiles.
Select the Tiles tab on the top right and then select a tile to start painting with it.
On the map, right click to unselect.
Hold down the left mouse button to select and copy an area and then start drawing with it after release of the LMB.

In order to place the preset bases and configure the map, you will need to drop these "entities" on the map:
LocalEntityBase
LocalEn tityMapConfig
LocalEntityUnit
To do so, select the Entity tab in the top right corner.
Pick one up and drop it. Make sure the green dot of the entity is landing on the selected tile.
You can select (copy and paste) an entity like you would for a tile but the entity handle is actually below it on the right hex tile adjacent.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 01, 2012 14:18

[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

Best Practice Rules for Map Creation
1. Make sure to add two empty rows and columns top/bottom and left/right of the map so that you can move it around on the iPhone (and not get glued to an edge).
2. Balance the map so that it is fair for ALL races.
3. Don't forget to save your levels.
4. 1vs.1 maps should be perfectly symmetric or if not, only to mitigate the first mover advantage (See map ChatoHill for that).
5. Remember Mechas are slower moving but can teleport so make sure you place units close to uncontrolled bases so that it is fair regardless of the race chosen.

Once you have created maps you like, submit them on the forums to get feedback from the community.
When you reach a point where they are well balanced and fun, email the .rsc_level file to support@uniwar.com and we may include them on our beta server to make it available for testing.
The best ones will be added to the actual game.
[Avatar]
Mew2468

[Avatar]
Mew2468

I think you need to alter the link to the level files (right now it's ...Uniwal-LevelEdition.zip). Thanks for the tutorial - I already requested my free trial!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 18, 2009 17:35

My Custom Uniwar Maps
GameShaman

GameShaman

Great feature. One I know a lot of people have been looking forward to.

I would like to recommend creating a new forum specifically for posting custom maps.

~Jeff
[Yahoo!] [ICQ]
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

Post your new maps in the Community -> User Generated Maps part of this forum.
[Avatar]
gunther84

[Avatar]
gunther84

Cool, Im waiting for my return e-mail now.
ArcaneWeapon

ArcaneWeapon

Any way I look at it points 2 and 5 don't comply with the Squarelake map. Titans take an extra round to capture their harbor, enough time for neighboring players to get a ship within Hydronaut minimum range rendering the harbor useless.

Just a point.

Otherwise this looks awesome, I'm hoping it works with Mac although I imagine it likely won't.
Anonymous

Anonymous
Very cool! Looking forward to new maps.
Anonymous

Anonymous
Does this work on a Mac?
ArcaneWeapon

ArcaneWeapon

Anonymous wrote: Does this work on a Mac?

It should as it's Java based. I haven't actually tried on mine yet however as it only lasts a month so I'm waiting till I have more free time.
[Avatar]
Mew2468

[Avatar]
Mew2468

Anonymous wrote: Does this work on a Mac?

Yes, it does. There's a Windows version, a Mac version, and I'm pretty sure there's a Linux version.
[Avatar]
_jnc_

[Avatar]
_jnc_

I suppose I'm missing something obvious here - Can't start the level editor without updating; what do you have to enter in the "Server" box of the "Xpress account manager"?
Thanks for helping!
[Avatar]
Mew2468

[Avatar]
Mew2468

_jnc_ wrote: I suppose I'm missing something obvious here - Can't start the level editor without updating; what do you have to enter in the "Server" box of the "Xpress account manager"?
Thanks for helping!

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about...try "earlyaccess.javaground.com:44 3" (without the quotations) as the server, and the username and password they gave you as the username and password. This info was in the email they sent you (at least, it was for me).

Edit: Epic fail - when I delete the space between "44" and "3", it just comes back. There's no space.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Aug 28, 2009 10:41

My Custom Uniwar Maps
[Avatar]
Legimancer

[Avatar]
Legimancer

Mew2468 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about...try "earlyaccess.javaground.com:44 3" (without the quotations) as the server, and the username and password they gave you as the username and password. This info was in the email they sent you (at least, it was for me).

its "earlyaccess.javaground.com:44 3" (no quotes) no space between 44 and 3

I hope i Dont offend anyone, and if I do, too bad
[Avatar]
Mew2468

[Avatar]
Mew2468

Legimancer wrote:
  Mew2468 wrote:

its "earlyaccess.javaground.com:44 3" (no quotes) no space between 44 and 3

Ack, that was the forum screwing up what I post...

My Custom Uniwar Maps
Forum Index » General Discussion