[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Rank Reform
Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates
ttdanimal

ttdanimal

First of all rwieczor84, I have played all of my rated maps on both sides. Jut because I didn't want to play again with you at some point (and I don't remember you one bit) is likely more a reflection on my thoughts of you than any board.

I honestly don't care much about my rating - sure, getting it higher is part of the game, but I play uniwar for fun and as a distraction. I have other ambitions in life than leading the rating board on this game. Not that there's anything wrong with someone who thinks differently on that topic.

And not that this should matter to you, but I play more of my ranked games as random than any other types of games. And I've never asked for draw when faced with an unwinnable situation. Why? Because I like the challenge. I don't shy away from those. I shy away from playing with people and boards I don't enjoy playing with (and of course also managing my # of games given life).

You'll notice many of the comments on this topic that talk about modifying the proposal are about making sure the game remains fun to play - without which the game will die. They are insightful, helpful, and intended to help the community as a whole. Not sure why you felt the need to try to call specific people out and turn the discussion. Says something about you I guess.

I appreciate the devs in opening the forum to the discussion. But I'm not interested in battling over the forums, especially in this topic.

So this will be my last post on this manner regardless of any retorts you feel necessary to put out. I have better things to do. I sincerely hope you do to.

la_fay

la_fay

Great News!
Mirrored games is the only way to make the game fair!
Even Chess has no ideal balance. White has advantage.
I do not understand people who say, that this is the step backward and at the same time they are talking that they do not care about their rating. If you do not care about your rating - feel free to play unrated games
However, I think I understand what kind of players are against the reform. But I won't tell you. You have to guess

I have stooped playing the rated games several months ago. Got bored to start random game - evaluate the situation - offer peace, or accept peace, ten times in a row. High ranked players usually knows for sure what race wins at a particular map. No desire to play when you know for sure that you are going to be beaten.
I think I will start playing rated game if this Rank Reform is implemented.

10 days for inactive period looks too short for me. I would prefer 3 weeks. But it is not critical. If you are a good player you will always grab your points back after you are back to the Game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 05, 2014 10:03

[Avatar]
miamimoose

[Avatar]
miamimoose

Funny Fay I've played random games with random race and map for the past 3 years and have never on any level of my rank been paired against you...I'm a 100% sure you can invite myself or any of the owners of the comments above and we would happily except your points being hacks you called us out to be. Anytime fay
[Avatar]
miamimoose

[Avatar]
miamimoose

Wait!!! I just checked your rank I'm out
la_fay

la_fay

Sorry if I offended smbd. Did not mean it.

btw, may be it is possible to keep rated custom games and team games. When a custom/team game started, the server should start mirrored game. Just not to let bots in any rated games.
[Avatar]
Your Turn

[Avatar]
Your Turn

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts on the matter.

1. I love that you're taking feedback seriously and reforming the ranking system.
2. I understand the problem of inactive high ranking players and the need to find a practical solution.
3. I agree with some players, that a time limit of ten days is not enough for casual gamers like me.
4. I have two specific reasons for hardly ever playing ranked games anymore, which I will explain below.
5. I am fine with whatever changes you make, cause I could care less about my score.

Some setups reward aggressive gameplay, but in most cases it's the exact opposite. The closer a battle is towards your bases, the faster your reinforcements can participate. Strong players usually benefit from this by keeping the frontline close to home. In my experience this often results in a massive buildup before anything interesting happens. To me this is similar to playing against a boring poker player, who folds 90% of the time. When there are no stakes, this passive gameplay bores me. As a game is meant to be fun, I simply play something I enjoy better. Lately I have only played tournament games, since these are much more exciting. And I think it is rewarding to see how I perform in a balanced matchup (because of the mirrors).

Apart from defensive gameplay there is another reason for my inactivity. Against certain players (no names) I experienced unexpected results. I honestly don't mind losing a fair fight, but I'm talking about ridiculous outcomes. I know about chaining, terrain bonuses, attacking from opposing sides and all, so I can predict damage and losses fairly well. This is why I'm pretty certain some high ranking players use tricks. After my gf told me about the concept of resetting a round by switching accounts, I suspect this is what they do. Of course I can never prove this, cause my opponent could just be extremely lucky. But in some cases this 'luck' was combined with very uncommon choices (eg braking a chain with other attacks and then returning to the initial unit where every hit is off the chart). To me this is not worth a discussion, since such players are unlikely to admit their behaviour. After noticing these extreme results I even considered getting a second account myself for the sole purpose of being able to do the exact same thing. Still I haven't done this even though I don't consider this cheating. It's just not how I'd like to win.

[Avatar]
Your Turn

[Avatar]
Your Turn

I'm aware people will probably be offended, if I'd personally suspect them of resetting their rounds untill they get the desired outcome. This is not what I'm aiming for and that is why I don't and won't give names. Perhaps some in turn may consider me a coward for this or think I'm full of it. Though this is not my intention, I care as much about these opinions as my score. I simply want to explain why I stopped playing ranked games. Whatever you do with this info is up to you.

However other players may have similar experiences. And personally I think only few of us are willing to spend their time on a forum to explain how they feel about it. Furthermore I don't see a fitting solution to both problems. The new ranking system does not solve the probability of defensive gameplay and hence it will not encourage me to play more ranked games. And in all honesty I expect the second problem (resetting a round untill desired outcome) will only become bigger as more players will discover this possibility. If my gf is right about how it's done, this post will probably even be counter productive in that matter. So be it. I can only say I experienced these strange results and it's statistically very unlikely they are achieved with regular gameplay.

I even noticed these strange results in some tournament games, so I asked one opponent about it. Since I still managed to win, I figured this was a great chance for asking without being considered a sore loser. He was very polite and didn't deny at all (he didn't admit either), but he had a valid reason for not being able to explain without risking trouble. I respect him and leave it at that. But as you can imagine, it didn't exactly make me less suspicious about the whole thing.

In conclusion: a new ranking system will not make me play more ranked games. Changes to the game rewarding aggressive gameplay and either disabling manipulation of battle outcomes or openly allowing and explaining this possibility will make me play more ranked games. Untill then I'd rather lose my score than my self respect. As far as tournaments are concerned, I will consider taking and sharing screenshots when I have some 'hard' evidence. I don't think I'm the best player in the world and though it might sound masochistic I even enjoy getting a proper beating. As long as the rules are clear and maintained, all is fine by me.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

The main problems with current normal game ladder
1. poorly balanced maps
2. abuse of short games
3. current ladder dont reflect the best players - because long time abuse of current scoring system.

-------------------

1. Map balance
There are many poorly balanced maps. Its near impossible to create perfectly balanced maps… but we could “raise the bar some”, by giving better players more influence on the map becoming rated or not (weighted vote). The dialoguebox the player sees should also make it more clear that the “fun factor”vote actually determined if the map was balanced enough to become rated…

2. Abuse of short games
There have been abuse of 3 and 10 minute games and also custom games with bots.
I agree that something must be done here, but i think it is to much to remove all custom games. It would be enough to remove 3 and 10 minute games. I disagree on removing 12+hr games and i think that it should be possible to play rated multiplayer FFA and team.

3. Ladder dont reflect the best players on the top
I orginally advocated for a reset or partly reset, but im very happy with the proposed point decrease if not playing rated random.

Ladder vs Pro ladder
I was a little surprised to see that mirror games and total removal of rated custom games would be introduced to the “normal” ladder. These had earlier been discussed as a part of a new “pro-ladder”. I think it would be better to not force mirror games and totally remove custom rated at this time. I think it would be a good start to do the decrease point if not playing rated and remove 3 and 10 minute games from rated as a start to the ratings reform.
And at a later time evaluate and decide if mirror games and other changes would be introduced to the current ladder or in a new “pro-ladder”

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
elroyomj

elroyomj

So.... Any verdict in this department or are we still pontificating?

Elroy
[Avatar]
miamimoose

[Avatar]
miamimoose

It's a done deal...I'm here either way best mobile game ever!!!

Lava

Lava

I agree with many of the posts (most of them very long and so I won't quote or re-iterate them here, I don't remember all the posters except for dougman4, ttdanimal and Waxoid.

1) I like the current system.
2) A new system is fine (with some modifications) if the current system is also in place.
3) 10 days is too short. 2-3 weeks vacation, or 23 days if you stretch the it. So, at least 30 days. But some folks like Waxoid takes months off. Personally, I've been too addicted to take more than a week off....
4) Most of my games now days are not ranked. Why? I've considered myself to reached my 'limit' on the skill level/ladder. At my current score, I am able to play with other players of my skill level or slightly higher. I have no wish to a) climb higher or 2) play ranked games where if I lose due to some unforeseen problem like a dead phone and players being skipped or a newbie stops playing, I lose ranking and no longer able to play with players near my skill level (due to the minimum score during game creation).

I do play ranked games occasionally, why? Mostly because I couldn't find any non-ranked games which seemed fair or fun, although I've played some just to see how well I'd do.

PS (edit): If players want to cheat and get their score WAY up there.... so what? Does it harm anyone or any monies lost? If players are at the 2200 level and cheats their way up to 2500-3000..., what happens when they play against someone who is 2500-3000? They will probably lose and drop back down. What if they only play non-ranked games at that point? Well, eventually other players will know that they suck and are not at the same level of play and stop playing with them. So, it's all good.

So, to reiterate, I think the elo (?) scoring system is fine. Some changes are good like, no 3/10-minute ranked game, bot ranked games are fine as long as there are non-bots on each team, but really, in the end, not necessary.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 09, 2014 22:34

Austinite

Austinite

I support the changes announced on Feb 10, 2015.

I also agree with the last post (Lava) esp his statements 3) and 4).

For future changes, if we must play ranked games periodically to keep our ratings, at least let us choose how we do it, incl team play. If not, at least increase the interval of mandatory random games from 10 days to 3-4 weeks.

The only reason I care about my rating is to be able to use it to find and be found by guys like Lava for team play. (Team games are WAY MORE FUN than 1v1.) If I lose points for "inactivity" on random games, my score will no longer reflect my skill and it will be harder to find matches with players at this level. (For now, I'm going to start adding more compatible players to my friends list so I can at least continue to play them.)

Also:
1. Uniwar is awesome
2. I would gladly pay more to support the game as it is right now
3. I hope the players who play unranked team games will continue to play them - many of you are neat folks!
4. I like the idea above of a Uniwar convention haha
5. THANK YOU to the Devs for all of your efforts
capncristo

capncristo

Gents,

Several thoughts:

1. I'd also happily pay a few bucks more to support the dev team. This game is tremendous. Would love to help support.
2. We've got a MAJOR issue: the current inability to play ranked team games is keeping me up at night. In my humble opinion, Team Games are Uniwar's bread and butter - but unranked? It's like a turkey sandwich with no turkey, no mayo. It's just not the same.

In conclusion, please bring back ranked Team Games.

Thank you.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

I also enjoy team games very much.. but i dont see why them being rated is so important.. I play both casual and vs many of the better players in this game, and my experience is that when you reach certain level (2000+) and/or with regulars/friends the multiplayer is great also as unrated - players do their best and dont skip even when they can.

The problem with rated multiplayer is that its pretty easy to boost another account with it and also "piggiback" better players to reach a higher ELO score than you othervise would - thus using multiplayer games to get a higher personal score than the actual skill level.

I think that a new 2:2 (and possibly a 3:3) ladder will be a great addition, and i would like to have it soon... but i know there are other features that probably are going to be done before "team-ladder"

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
capncristo

capncristo

But why even bother with people who artificially inflate their score?
They'll end up playing games vs. better talented players, and quickly come back to earth.
There's no long play in artificially inflating, no need to change the entire system to prevent an insignificant happening.
This is like trying to fight currency inflation by banning any money exchange outside a bank.

On the flip side, the incentive of a few insignificant score PTS gained or lost in an honest team game is necessary.
I just don't feel the same tickle in unranked games, and I generally play 3v3s vs players right at the 2000 lvl.
Forum Index » What's New in the Latest Updates