[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Wildbot Game
Forum Index » General Discussion
newuser

newuser

I'm looking for any high ranked players who would like to play a "wild bot" game. I've been putting it out but can only get very low ranked 1600, 1500, or 1400 players to play.

The game is Three Islands, with one player as a bot. You don't know what the bot will do sometimes it will attack you, sometimes your opponent, or sometimes attack both ways or take turns on who it attacks. So it keeps you on your toes but it also means that maybe 25% of the time you'll lose no matter what you do just on luck. For this reason I need to play against someone close to my rank (currently 1974) or else the random losses will just eat away at me 30 points at a time which overwhelms the legitimate results. With someone close to my rank then you win some or lose some but it will all average out over time.

Let me know if you're interested and I can invite you or you invite me ... either way is fine.

colin

colin

mb it's just me but...

it always seemed to me that a bot unit acts with limited information on hand each turn, probably with no continuity of strategy from turn to turn. if you take into account the bot's area of visibility, any units not shrouded by the fog of war, and toss in terrain info as well as the location of capturable bases, you can have a good idea of what the bot is going to do. i'd go even further to suggest that if your unit in view of a bot's unit moves into a fog of war, it will "forget" a unit was there, though it may seem to chase after it, but only because it's going after a base. i'm not even sure a bot's unit even works in concert with units of the same team, as i'm sure i've seen an infantry attack my unit and then finish it with a ranged unit.

the first few times i played three islands with two bots, they always came for me and then got distracted by each other on my island. i think i ended up avoiding a gang-up by letting the other two bots see each other first so they end up fighting.

i wish i could be conclusive but i would imagine it's a lot easier to code a bot's behavior this way.

in any case, your "wild bot" game might still be fun. it'd be like herding the bot towards your enemy.
newuser

newuser

Are you interested? I sent you an invite. If you'd rather try unrated instead just let me know.
newuser

newuser

Fun game! We both used Colin's strategy (see earlier post) in the begining and it was mostly working. Then I made a couple of stupid mistakes. I pulled back to regroup and the bot decided to pounce on me. The rest was history and unfortunately so am I!

Rematch? Anyone else want to try it?

Forum Index » General Discussion