[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Online Code of Conduct - The UniWar "Constitution"
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

Dear UniWarriors,
Below is a draft of our online code of conduct.
It is scheduled to go live soon and will be enforced.
Please comment on it.

The UniWar Team

This is a summary of the rules a player should abide by in order to play rated games online:

1. Repeated collusion between players is forbidden except for team matches (when on same side of the team of course). This means two players cannot play the same game together with the intention to collude against others if they are not on the same team. Occasional collusion may sometimes occur within a game though it should be random in nature and not consistent across matches (otherwise it is unfair).
2. A person cannot enter and play the same game with two separate accounts played by the same person (whether it is on a different device or not).
3. A turn started on a device must end on the same device. In other words, the player cannot change device within the same turn.
4. It is forbidden to modify one's phone to cheat.
5. It is forbidden to create a program that will communicate with the server in order to cheat or bring the outcome of a game to its advantage.
6. Abuse of chat and use of foul language is not permitted.

Any breaking of these rules will result in account suspension and we reserve the right to ban the user from the game forever.
The account ranking will also be reset if any cheating is found.

We will routinely police the game and enforce our policies without any notification to the end-users.

We strongly believe in fair play and abiding by the rules is crucial to maintaining an engaged community of players.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 29, 2009 23:47

Hachiman

Hachiman

Also, aren't short term alliances and attendant backstabbing common practice in multi-player FFA's?
dingo

dingo

Hachiman wrote: Also, aren't short term alliances and attendant backstabbing common practice in multi-player FFA's?

Agreed. If I have a high rated player next to me and I can see them creating a front on another player, I'm going to leave them be for some time until I feel that I can successfully attack and take over some of their bases.

Another note: My wife and I both play UniWar. I've purchased the game for both of our idevices, as well as I will be purchasing it for my HTC Hero when it arrives tomorrow. Are you checking IP addresses that games are being played from, or are you getting something like a device ECID?

I tether my ipod from a jailbroken iphone currently, so all of the data comes from the same data IP address. Is this going to be a problem? I apologize if these seem strange requests or notes, I just don't want to unjustly be banned since I enjoy playing this game with both my officemate and my wife.
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

Dingo,

Having the same IP address is fine. We are detecting same device via other means.
What we want to avoid is to make the game unfair by having people faking a FFA and ganging up on others. That is not a fair practice.
I just changed the language to allow for temporary collusion within a game but those would have to be done through the chat interface and thus be public. Also, this should not be a recurrent collusion that happens in every match because that would make games unfair which we obviously want to avoid (that is why there are team matches).
brainiac

brainiac

again, i still see no reason to ban multis from playing on the same team as long as it is evident from the game title. I personally, have yet to win a 2v2 game with myself that i have started. partly due to player one's initial credits and partly because naval maps favor team 2
dingo

dingo

I think that I can understand the intent behind the code of conduct, but honestly I will likely be playing from multiple devices since I have the game currently installed on my ipt and iphone, and come Monday, I will have it installed on my new HTC Hero as well.

I use a wireless tether while at work since my iphone only gets 3G service when sitting on top of my bookshelf and tether my ipt for internet access and play from there.
[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

Thanks for your feedback. We will consider it. Anyone else has something to say?
malachi

malachi

It would help if admins would monitor the forums and follow through and punish cheaters. I published a damning account on the forums, notified an admin who said they'd look into it over a month ago, and I have heard nothing back since. It serves the community to know that cheating is going to be punished. Else there is no deterrent.

my damning account: http://www.uniwar.com/forum/posts/list/15/264.page

please ban these cheaters and post a reply in the appropriate forums so that everyone knows something is being done about it. I fear that you will have more and more defectors if this step is not taken,

thank you!
michelada

michelada

These all make sense. However I'd be cautious in the enforcement.

One, these rules need to be in the game and stated as clearly as possible. You can't expect every player to come to the forum and see this thread as many players don't bother coming here, or check it very sporadically. You may also need them to check an "i agree to these rules" box to play multiplayer. It's not enforceable in reality, but it does make an impression.

Two, everything that can be mechanically enforced should be. Wherever you can, fix the game to make the exploits impossible instead of putting the burden on the players. You can't expect people not to push boundaries or not to use exploits that are painfully easy to figure out. This is just a fact of online gaming, and every time you bring in a new batch of players they're going to discover these exploits themselves.

Three, bans shouldn't be given lightly. While the person who feels they've been slighted is going to want justice I'd be very wary of banning someone who broke a rule they weren't aware of, or who were accused wrongly or even maliciously (which has happened quite often.) A two-strikes rule might be much more appropriate to give new and casual players some leeway.

Also, how are you handling bans? If someone is banned can that player never play on that device or from that IP address again, or can they just take ten seconds to make a new username to do it all over again? If it's the latter case then banning them is practically worthless (yeah, they'll lose their rating, but believe it or not I don't think a lot of griefer-types actually CARE about ratings.)

Basically it comes down to this-- if someone pays $4.99 for the game and gets banned based on a rule they weren't aware of, or because of a false allegation, you're going to have a very angry customer. They're going to demand refunds and complain to the iTunes or Android store. Hell they'll probably still complain if the ban was justified. And a few complaints about unfair business practices to Apple could get the game pulled from the store; they've pulled games for less and they're known to be a very unreasonable tyrant.

aurens

aurens

I agree with Brainiac (against whom I've played). There's nothing obviously wrong with one person playing two or more roles on the same team in a team game.
The Dogalyst

The Dogalyst

aurens wrote: I agree with Brainiac (against whom I've played). There's nothing obviously wrong with one person playing two or more roles on the same team in a team game.

Totally wrong! If you've played a team game before you know that winning largely depends on how well moves among teammates are coordinated. Coordination using chat is very difficult because it's too much work, because chats are not synchronous (you sometimes don't see a message until after you make a move, even if the message was sent first), and because often you want to make a move now that depends on whether a teammate will make a certain move... but you can't ask your teammate and know that he/she will answer before your time is up. Plus it is just damn hard to get multiple people on the same page, to agree to the same strategy. And too many players forget that it's a team win, and still play putting their own units and bases ahead of their teammates.

By playing two or more colors on the same team, you essentially get perfect team coordination. Absolutely unfair.
dingo

dingo

The Dogalyst wrote:By playing two or more colors on the same team, you essentially get perfect team coordination. Absolutely unfair.

So by that thinking, it's unfair that my officemate and I play alongside one another? We can communicate over chat (which we do while not at work) or by SMS if urgent. It's essentially the same as having two people playing the same team, and in some instances it could be even harder to defeat two people who can communicate very freely.

You can't really go through and ban friends who are playing with one another though.
Hachiman

Hachiman

I think it's fine to play on the same team as yourself ONLY IF your opponents know about it in advance (before joining).

It would be good if there was an automatic warning coded into the game. Failing that a game title that indicates it would be the only fair thing to do.
ahbritto

ahbritto

I think unnecessary alliances should not be allowed.

For example, I've had a player ask to ally with me the first move of the game.

Other players can counter this by also allying. However, I, and I am sure other players feel this way as well, don't particularly like asking for alliances or imposing the need on others for them to ask for an alliance.

Forum Index » General Discussion