[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
RNG = not so random....? (Other questions inside)
Forum Index » Technical Support Questions
dingo

dingo

Firstoff, I apologize about the novel that's about to be laid down here, but hopefully this thread will help me better understand certain aspects of UniWar.

My officemate and I are currently playing in a Peanut Isle (PEANUTISL3351 and have seen some things that struck us as incredibly odd. I'll list them below.

During one of the early turns, my officemate attacked a 10 health mecha capturing the center base with a 6 health marine from the mountains. End result deal 2 damage, took 6. Unit destroyed.

While this was frustrating, something similar popped up, so the two of us decided to experiment a bit. We had both read the thread on the online code of conduct and never realized some of the things it seems people are doing to get an edge. The one that stuck out most to us was #3.

3. A turn started on a device must end on the same device. In other words, the player cannot change device within the same turn.

We had never considered the possibility that this was done. We supposed that this could possibly be exploited in some way, so we dug a little deeper. We found the exploit that essentially allowed us to "re-do" our turns when we came across our second "odd" attack of the match. We had decided to bend the rules a tad, as the above link is a "draft." I understand that what we had done was somewhat unethical, but we had wanted to get to the bottom of how these rolls are really made.

On the top base, the top base was being captured by a 10 health underling. This underling was first attacked from the mountains by a 10 health marine and inflicted 5 damage while taking 3 in return. The second marine moves to the mountains and attacks with what should be a gang-up bonus. The end result was 4 damage done, 3 damage received.

(Continued in 2nd post, first has capped out on characters)
dingo

dingo

Continued from first post....

This was the moment we had an idea to test the theory of the RNG in the game to see what results could be made. I won't go into details on how it was done (for the sake of the game) but we attempted the same attack strategy each time the turn was reset, and the same damage was done every single time. The conclusion was that the RNG really isn't such a thing. To me, there was no conceivable way that those particular damage rolls could have played out over and over without any variation. The logical conclusion is that something is in place that somehow creates the damage rolls for each possible attack combination when the turn is initiated and not when the attack is actually made with the unit.

Is this currently the case with UniWar? It seems strange that this type of device would be used to calculate possible attacks. While I understand that there is IP involved, and discussion of such in the open without any NDA is bad juju, I hope that you can help the end users understand how the attacks are planned out. Is there really no RNG except an algorithm that blurts out some numbers at the beginning of a turn?

We understood that we are putting our ability to continue playing in jeopardy, but hope that there can be a bit of leniency considering we have no intentions of ever going any further with this testing. It's been a purely academic experiment which brought up a lot of questions.

Cheers,

dingo
S1eepy

S1eepy

In some games you can modify the random chance by causing a unrelated roll.

EG..
marine 1 attacks from mountains..
completely different set of units atk each other
then attack with marine 2.

No idea if it works with Uniwar.. but it does work like that in other games.
Something to do with the random chance resetting each times its used.
Forum Index » Technical Support Questions