[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Fix remaining balance issue: Mountain/ Infantry / Converters
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Hachiman

Hachiman

The game is better balanced than ever before, and might never be balanced for every map, but there's a few little fixable quirks left.

One is caused by several factors combined:

1) Infantry rules in mountains (and to a lesser extent forests)

2) Converting units mean Saps beat Titan infantry, Titans beat Khralean infantry. The Khral converter is more expensive so doesn't have as big an effect AND

3) Underling inability to attack air means Saps beat Khrals in mountains.

4) The lack of air units mean Titans are at a big disadvantage if mountains need to be crossed (mainly vs Saps, as above)

5) Titan weakness in mountains is well compensated vs Khraleans by the ability to teleport Mecha (out with wounded units & in at the most advantageous points). This doesn't work vs Saps, as the Engineer captures them at will before or after teleporting.

Basically all these balance skewing factors mean that maps with strategically important mountains are very often badly unbalanced in the following ways...

On very many mountainous (+ forest) maps:

Sapiens beat Titans
Sapiens beat Khraleans
Titans beat Khraleans

I propose the following solutions:

1. Converter units should not travel over mountain hexes .
- Reduces the Saps > Titans and Titans > Khrals advantage in mountains

2. Garuda should get a bonus in mountains, and Swarmers a bonus in Forest.
- Reduces Saps > Khrals and Titans > Khrals in heavy terrain
- Allows Khrals to compete vs Air in heavy terrain
- Justified as "home ground advantage" - Garuda's nest in mountains, Swarmers in forest

3. Allow the Speeder to traverse mountains (without penalty?)
- Reduces Saps > Titans in mountains
- Allows more mountain maps to be balanced, as Titans have a fast unit that can traverse them (like the other races)
- Justified by a "hover jump" ability.

Further thoughts and critisism welcomed....

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 02, 2009 17:18

[Avatar]
kralux

[Avatar]
kralux

These are pretty radical changes that may cause unbalances in the races on some maps...
I think it is still hard for Titans to beat Khralean infantry. Note that K have a big burrowing advantage and can escape any transformation that way.
Same for the Titans with the teleport ability.
Though I understand you may not want to do that in the midst of a battle.
It is tough because those big changes would have a huge impact on many maps of the game...
Hachiman

Hachiman

Thanks for the response Kralux.

I can understand your hesitation, they are not simple balance thoughts.

However, I would like to draw attention to the fact that the game is simply not balanced for experienced players on maps with many strategic mountains (eg Wild Plains, Great Wall).

It's not a game killer, but it would be nice to address in some manner.

I don't think its worthwhile arguing over specific race advantages, if you'd like me to demonstrate, just challenge me to a game on Wild Plains with you as Khrals (I'll play Titans).
commentor

commentor

i just wish there was a way to beat blue sapiens on the Jungle map in the current setup. i think 100cr/base is too much for such a small map which means blue can make helis quick and neutralize any swarmer/underling combo. and garudas are useless since a couple troops in the trees can easily kill them.

same with Green Valley. blue sapiens are unbeatable if they build a heli and cap the middle base first. this maps also needs to have credits per base lowered.
Forum Index » New Feature Request