[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Plague bombing
Forum Index » Khraleans
dbm_uniwar

dbm_uniwar

This is something that came into my head while playing against a Sapien one day and I found it very disruptive. Thought I'd share and see what others think (or perhaps I only come across this sort of thing long after the community has hashed it out ).

This came about because I love delivering plague, but hate how it is almost a guaranteed loss of an infector due to having to be adjacent to units at the time you deliver it. It's generally easier to infect a unit, as that unit becomes part of the defence of the infector. In this game, I managed to get an infected marine, he lived the first turn, and I retreated both him and the infector slightly while I adjusted positioning. When I was ready, I delivered plague which infects only my own captured marine unit, and then used the superior mobility of the marine to run him right into a nice spot in the enemy line.

At this point I didn't care if he killed it or not, as an infected unit was now adjacent to some of his units at the start of his turn, so bang they're all infected, he has no chance to defend against it, and the infector is safely out of range.

I found this a highly useful strategy. I'll go further and say it's almost a bit unfair, and I wonder if perhaps it either shouldn't be possible for you to infect your own captured marines (it's not much of a disadvantage anyway...how many games do you have a swarm of captured marines around in the first place?), or whether plague shouldn't spread from captured units to the enemy. Plague is already a very useful tactic, I wonder if this isn't a bit much.

Or perhaps it's just all good.

--
~dbm

--
~dbm
newuser

newuser

I don't think it's unfair, since it seems tricky and requires a lot of finesse to make it work right.

I like delivering plague because it's fun, even though it's not very worthwhile (for the reasons you mentioned), so this seems like a great tactic to do it.
dbm_uniwar

dbm_uniwar

Also good in team games (if your teammate is Sapien) --- now you don't have to bother with the pesky infect step, and can plague bomb with multiple units at once...well, cooperating with your teammate.

Would probably be even more useful if I ran into more Sapien opponents...everyone seems to be playing Titans in the games I get involved in. Probably just me =).

--
~dbm

--
~dbm
[Avatar]
IzzyNobre

[Avatar]
IzzyNobre

This sound like a great strategy. I'm mostly a Khralean player these days and I also love unleashing plague (known as "THE AIDS") among my friend who play the game - "haha you got THE AIDS now dude your guys are screwed"), and I'm frequently plaguing my own captured marines, yet I never thought of using the marine's mobility to throw him in the direction of the enemy. Ironically I was just playing a game against a Sapiens oponent where this move could have been a knockout. Gotta try it sometime.

And by "sometime" I mean right now
Orion3T

Orion3T

That's a great idea - gonna suggest we try it in our current team game where an ally just accidentally infected a marine I sent to help him.
Forum Index » Khraleans