[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
UniWar 2 Suggestions
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

@jackal0001
I think you are mistaking turn based games for turn based strategies. Because if I'm understanding what you're saying and based off my quick research about x-com, the game is like Fallout. I'm not sure but I don't see any factories (might be wrong) or a economic system. Rather I see a set of characters that have different abilities and stats and a certain number of action points available.
I think we all noticed uniwar doesn't include that action points system, they almost all have 1 or 2 action points, and never more. Also you don't upgrade your characters in uniwar, so I'm not sure thee two games share the same genre

On another note, x-com would be more like fallout (not the 3rd... what a piece of %$^#), wouldn't it? If not then I'm mistaken, I'm still basing off some light research and what you told me.

PS: Sorry all for being harsh, I'll try to contain myself and not flame everyone against my ideas

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Oh and Sphink, I've seen somewhere around that they wanted to improve Uniwar so that they could add all the upgrades from the 1 to the 2.
They're working on both if you want, although I hope they're working at all.

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
thethanx

thethanx

haha nah nicko, that wasn't harsh, you're right xcom and uniwar are very very different. "reserving actions" is something that could only apply to a a unit like the maurader, and being able to set up something like that would probably make it WAY over powered. Although a unit stronger when attacked then attacking would be an interesting special ability... if you could balance it right.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Oh I like that, you mean a unit that excels in defense by delivering good damage while receiving less when attacked, but lack firepower and defense while attacking? that sounds really nice

Wandering...
rhysd97

rhysd97

I think maybe more aerial units like bombers,fighters and chinook/transport planes.
For aquatic units there could be, Subs, Air craft carriers (maybe), Anti subs (forgot what they are called) and anti air.
For ground you could have transport that carry 3 marines or engineers. Also these vehicles can build tempory bases (no income but can build units.)

Some new buildings could be added like a Vantage point. When a marine/mecha goes in here it turns into a sniper as long as it STAYS in the building. Nukes or other missles like the ones of advance wars.

plus some new modes would be welcome

and the same amount of maps in solo as in multiplayer as an update to the origonal.
deowulf

deowulf

I think that where this game really sets itself apart is in its online multiplayer. More than anything else, single player campaigns or computer AI, I think that this is where they need to concentrate.

More on the subject of radar:

"plus if attacking while using radar is so inaccurate, then why not just move up the one tile so you can see your enemy, then attack..after all, you said radar would have just a slightly greater veiw than a unit's vision"

This is the point. Radar would be just a less-useful form of line-of-sight vision. It could tell where units are, and if they are air, sea, or land, but nothing else. (see the radar from Supreme Commander.) I think that currently Uniwar gives units too much vision, which takes away some important strategy. With radar, the devs would have another variable to play with. Here are some of the things that I think would be interesting to use it for:

-Make ground units in forests invisible to line-of-sight at a distance. They can still be seen by adjacent line-of-sight units, or by radar. For example, a unit 2 squares away from a forest can tell that there is a unit in there, but not what kind. Air units can still be seen.

-If attacking a unit that you see by radar but not line-of-sight, you cannot see how much damage you do. You also get a damage penalty (maybe 30% or so). This would be great for diversionary tactics and mindgames.

-Designate certain units scouts, and give them great vision and radar, and make them fast but weak

-Certain units might not have radar (infantry, heavy tanks)

-Give certain units a lot of line-of-sight vision, or give some units a lot of radar and not much line-of-sight.
deowulf

deowulf

I also think that adding ammo (and maybe fuel) to the game would be great for strategy, and would add more ways to balance heavy units like tanks and battleships.

Lighter units like speeders, infantry, and recon units should never have to worry about resupplying. But as you get to heavier units like tanks and artillery, they will run out of ammo in several turns without resupplying.

If a unit runs out of ammo, it might still be able to attack with a weaker secondary weapon (like a tank's machine gun) or it may be left defenseless (like artillery.)

This might enable "one-shot" units like anti-tank infantry, which can do decent damage vs heavy armor but only have 1-2 ammo.

There should probably be a cheap, fast land unit that can resupply everything adjacent to it. Maybe it also has a special ability, like boosting combat or repair.
rhysd97

rhysd97

this isnt a joke is it. there IS going to be a uniwar 2 or is it just a cruel joke agree that they need to focus on single player.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02, 2010 02:38

thethanx

thethanx

Well considering Kralux started this thread to begin with I'm assuming it is indeed real .

On fuel/ammo- Please remember this is not advance wars... and part of what makes fuel and ammo work in advance wars is a larger presence of cities that can resupply units, as well as multiple weapons that DO have unlimited ammo. While I can ALMOST see ammo for, maybe a "special unit" (I dunno this is not a serious suggestion, but a tank that gets two shots with a weapon that always does 5 damage for example) giving everything ammo and fuel would alter waaayyy to many gameplay elements, as well as would require a lot of extra time to balance and tweak.

I agree that forests should keep things hidden in fog of war. It would make maps like Hurtgen forest SO much different. Maybe reducing vision overall would be a good thing too...

Now I know I do plenty of bitching about people trying to introduce AW elements into this game, but I really do like how the latest AW introduced a flare, something that could expose things under FoW for a turn and give a lot of intel... in a very specific area. Especially if vision was reduced a flare unit (or even just giving current support units a flare ability) would allow for strategy (where to place your flare) without the complexity of (and this is totally IMHO) a kinda complicated radar system.

On the other hand, hell just reduce vision or just make it so things like mountains and forests reduce vision and forget all about a flare unit, there are way better ideas out there then a flare

*edit
Almost forgot- On more single player I felt like the campaign was actually a tutorial more than a real campaign, and I have played literally NO single player games since I finished it (which was probably the same day i bought the game). So in some ways I'm on the fence- I feel like Uniwar is at it's heart an online multiplayer game... but if you can make a single player experience worth my while (some seriously improved AI would help IMO) go for it! But when I want a single player experience I fire up Battle for Wesnoth.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 03, 2010 15:24

[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

People, please remember: this game is going to be (primarily, at least) for the mobile platform. that means that if you overcomplicate things (different resources, many more units), the tiny little screen is going to get crowded.
I tried to read most of this post, and i saw some ideas that i liked:
-units stronger on defense than offense (or vice versa)
-adding a sight variable to terrain (a ground unit on a mountain would be able to see farther, a ground unit cant see past the mountain he is standing next to)
-possibly adding transport units, or units that can act as mobile bases (they can spawn other units, maybe just infantry)
-have a better "find game" search tool (be able to look at games from just one map, a certain # of players, player ranks, etc)

all in all, it needs to remain simple. also, on the topic of online vs 1 player, i think they should focus on the online multiplayer.
why bother creating an AI when you can just play against other players?
Sphink

Sphink

I must say we need to stop trying to add things that make other games good and make what uniwar has better. I think it was nicko who said something like "we're trying to make a new uniwar not a new advanced war.

I don't like the radar idea, but I do like the reduced sight radius. And sight variable terrian. If everything got it's sight reduced then there would be more of a recon aspect to the game, which I think is a great idea. Flare would be ok as long as it only showed the tiles directly beside the tile you "flared", but I think the maps would need to be alot bigger to support flare. It could be an alternate special ability and you could pick either between flare or emp for example. And have a 7 turn cooldown or something like that.

Not real sure how the balancing would work with a unit that was better at defence then attacking.

Good luck, Have fun!

My biased opinions are open-minded.
-Sphink
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

I did Sphink

And yeah, like it was said before, if we give all made ideas, than that would give the devs a hard time balancing. The best would be to give something vague so that they can come up with the idea themselves. And yeah, although the ideas are great for AW, don't try to incorporate it in UW, since it's a game on its own and doesn't need help from other franchises.

On a last note, the idea of resupplying and ammo seems just too hard to implement and not fit for UW. And even though I don't like the original idea, why would the speeder have infinite fuel? Just saying'... And as for concentrating on the singleplayer, I'm not so sure. Make it better, why not! But concentrate all efforts on it doesn't seem good, since for almost every single games with multiplayer, it's the multiplayer that makes the game live longer.

thethanx -> I do hope he's still checking it though...

Wandering...
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

another thing- although this could come in an update to the existing game: allowing you to change the amount of open slots when you create a game. all they would have to do is add in a "closed" option when deciding whether to make a slot open, friend, invite, or bot. this would allow people to play two player on large maps. yes, some people would make 3v1 games, and other unfair things, but if you are dumb enough to join a game like that, you are going to lose anyway.
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

lantry wrote: another thing- although this could come in an update to the existing game: allowing you to change the amount of open slots when you create a game. all they would have to do is add in a "closed" option when deciding whether to make a slot open, friend, invite, or bot. this would allow people to play two player on large maps. yes, some people would make 3v1 games, and other unfair things, but if you are dumb enough to join a game like that, you are going to lose anyway.

We already have a closed option........but not in team games if that's what you're trying to say

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
thethanx

thethanx

I think the moral of this story is coding is hard, balancing might even be harder... Uniwar is well balanced which makes it an incredible game. I´ve said this before, and so has nicko and now sphinx:
The more specific and complicated your idea, the harder it is to realistically impliment. If you really want your idea considered
KEEP IT SIMPLE AND OPEN! That way maybe we can leave all the details of things like unit stats and specialties in the hands of the wonderful uniwar team.

@sphinx I´m glad more people are onboard the ¨this is not advance wars¨idea. You´re also right about a flare, it would have to expose only a small area (and only for a turn or two) for it to be balanced.
@Lantry if you want to access the closed slots you have to make the game unrated, this keeps ¨stupid people¨from joining a totally unfair game and losing points. Nfong´s right though it doesn´t work with team games...

Forum Index » New Feature Request