[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Specialized weapons
Forum Index » How to make the uniwar.com website better
Do you think that these ideas are valid?
Yes! 38% [ 5 ]
Some but but not all (please post) 15% [ 2 ]
No! 46% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 13
Destructor49

Destructor49

So in similar games like Starcraft, players will have the option to build specialized units that specialize (no duh) in attacking a certain type of target (flying/ground/water). It would be nice to see some sort of anti air unit like a battery with range, but for attacking air only.

I was thinking of combining the double attack skill of the marauder, and the range of like an eclipse (1-2) and putting them together to make a flak cannon or something. Obviously it would have to have a drawback like limited mobility or armor to balance it out.

-also-

I was thinking that it would be cool to have some sort of upgrade so that engineer class units can build structures or some sort of base defense. Or some sort of upgrade to give bases defenses for last resort kinda point defense systems. It would have to cost allot and be ranged, but it would have to be killed before the base could be taken. This could also manifest into a sort of immobile turret to be built on a map with high defense and range, but also cost, and a limit to how many could be built and how close (so that you couldn't build nets to prevent people from passing).

-on that note-

I was also thinking that it would add a whole new dimension to the game to have a sapien cloaking unit sorta like a ghost spec ops from Starcraft. It would have high mobility and okay attack, but low armor. Going with Starcraft II it could also have a secondary sniper weapon to take 1 shot 1 kill ranged shots (only on soft ground targets), but it would take a turn to recharge and disengage the cloak. This could help balance out the disadvantage of the sapiens not having burrowed units, or teleporting, and it could be really cool.

-Finally-

I think it would be cool to have sort of like mass effect weapons for the long range artillery units to use a a special attack that would affect all hexes touching the target hex. It could only be used a limited number of times and would take up two turns (first turn to fire, second to recharge/reload), and would lower defenses making them vulnerable to attack. This could help with infantry swarming and such especially with swarmers.

Let me know what you think!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 17, 2010 09:47

Destructor49

Destructor49

bump
Pie2.1

Pie2.1

You have been playing WAYYY To much starcraft bud. I disagree with everything EXCEPT, the immobile turrents idea, now that is a good idea enabling workers to build turrents to deffend key spots.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Pie2.1 wrote: You have been playing WAYYY To much starcraft bud.
I second that.

Also you have to be careful not to think UW as a Real Time Strategy like starcraft is, it's a Turn Based Strategy.
I'm reluctant to the idea of turrets, but not to the point of bashing it and refusing it at all force.

A sapien Cloaking unit? Well, then you should nerf the marine a whole lot. Sure, saps don't have any abilities like burrow or teleport, but they have the best infantry imo. They move rather quick, reasonable power/defense (for it's class) and it's the best cheap AA you can find anywhere! Have you tried spamming marines on a forest/mountain composed map against a swarm of swarmers (duh)? Yeah, it IS effective... (I prefer the woods, move faster...). But while I won't reject that, I would for the one kill thing... You could protect your bases a bit too well... Maybe only on plains? Then again it's OP, I would say it deals a good amount of dmg for a range of 2 (like 6 or 7 dmg...)

Having more units is always a good idea, and having specialized like you say is a good idea, since the titans have the only AA of the game other than infantry. But that is a huge request, and I would expect it rather in a sequel than a patch.

I'm not sure for this... Maybe I didn't understood it well...

Anyways, you have good ideas, played too much starcraft (don't worry, it's too awesome for that to be bad...), mix rts and tbs, play too much starcraft and I like the sniper.

PS: you don't need to bump, activity is so scarce here that your topic won't go unnoticed because of other topics

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

wait, i thought we already had a sort of specialization? like eclipses against air units? also, not having burying or teleporting is the reason sapiens' units are so tough. like nicko said, the marines dont have any special moves but are the best in their class (at combat and general stats).
as for turrets, i think engineers (not just sapiens, but the assist unit for each class) should be able to build a sort of fort, that wouldn't generate any cash, but would give a defensive bonus to units occupying this space. or, you would be able to build units from these forts. if an enemy moved onto the fort's hex, it would have a "destroy" command, that would work like the capture command for infantry, but any unit would be able to destroy an enemy's fort, it would just take up their turn.
other than that, i have nothing to say that hasn't been said already.
[Avatar]
. .

[Avatar]
. .

I second this:

lantry wrote: as for turrets, i think engineers (not just sapiens, but the assist unit for each class) should be able to build a sort of fort, that wouldn't generate any cash, but would give a defensive bonus to units occupying this space, if an enemy moved onto the fort's hex, it would have a "destroy" command, that would work like the capture command for infantry, but any unit would be able to destroy an enemy's fort, it would just take up their turn.
MasonC

MasonC

lantry wrote:
as for turrets, i think engineers (not just sapiens, but the assist unit for each class) should be able to build a sort of fort, that wouldn't generate any cash, but would give a defensive bonus to units occupying this space. or, you would be able to build units from these forts. if an enemy moved onto the fort's hex, it would have a "destroy" command, that would work like the capture command for infantry, but any unit would be able to destroy an enemy's fort, it would just take up their turn.
other than that, i have nothing to say that hasn't been said already.

So you saying that they would be bases but you don't get any credits from them? I think that it would be a good thing to have in uniwar as long as the already set on the land I don't like the idea of them being made by units that could be a little over the top it could make a map like Peninsulas(team game) better because if they were in the center not bases then it would be less like the first team to get the center base wins because they would get no bones credits they would only be able to make units there or maybe some other map I don't no.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

If support units could build infinite "forts" it would be madness. Don't you think titans can already tank in good enough as it is?? You want to make that shell even better? Crazy I say!
If you made that "fort" option available you'll have to make support units 100 credits more expansive and put a cool down for this ability, otherwise it would ruin the game.

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
Revan_3

Revan_3

I personnally like the idea of a fort,
but what if it used the unit as though it had just captured
the base?
The unit would also only be able to build 1 per 2-3 squares,
so as to prevent overcrowding, and not make impenetrable shells.
It might also be wise to have to create these for at least 200 credits.
Revan_3

Revan_3

This is pretty far-fetched but what if you had the ability to distribute
points to the classes to enhance them and fit them to your specific
style? That way you would be able to have more refined strategies
and a more variable game style.

[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

Neat idea, but thats a bit more complex than you should get in a mobile platform game IMO. (which is why uniwar 2 should be PC :D:D:D)

as for the bases, you are right, way too campy. what if they cost a certain amount of credits per turn to whichever team owned them? or, just make them a new terrain type, and not buildable. (though without a mapeditor available, you wouldn't get any new maps using this XD)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16, 2011 20:14

Forum Index » How to make the uniwar.com website better