[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Surrendering Etiquette
Forum Index » General Discussion
Orion3T

Orion3T

Just curious how people feel about surrendering under certain conditions early in the game. I just had the following 2 examples where I admit to surrendering but wondered if it would be seen as bad etiquette:

1. A team match where at least 2 of my teammates were either skipped or so incompetent they were almost wiped out at round 3, and I could tell there was no realistic way back for my team. Decided to surrender before it could affect my points as I felt I had done nothing wrong.

2. A 3 person FFA where I joined at the 3rd player - have to admit I was slightly suspicious from the start whether it could be a setup, and when they both headed straight for the 2 bases closest to me I backed out on round 2. Was the triangle one - I checked out both bases and they had headed right for them both. Could be bad luck, but is it worth playing on in a rated game?

This all assumes it's rated of course... to be honest it didn't occur to me to check it was before I banged out but I will in future. If it were unrated I'd relish the challenge.

Any thoughts? I don't want to spoil other people's games just because I don't like a 'possibly' unfair game.
Unimarobj

Unimarobj

I don't know about others, but I surrender when they've got me down to a base and are probably getting annoyed that I'm still fighting, so I say "Good game." etc. and go. Other than that, I fight to the the finish usually.

As for the scenarios, I don't blame you at all for the first one, I only do team matches with reliable friends I make through 1v1 games, (revZloco, Insignia, Nixflix, Fortunato are a few if you'd like to play with them) because people I don't really know might suck as a team mate with working together, or just neglect the game.

As for the other one, I disagree. You should've fought it out. But I don't blame ya, I've had the same happen. But I managed to win one of those games
Orion3T

Orion3T

To clarify for the second one, it wasn't simply that I got off to a bad start but that I was (perhaps unnecessarily) suspicious of the game setup i.e. 3 players where I was the 3rd player and didn't know either of the others. For all I knew it was 2 friends who would co-operate to get the win between them or even 2 accounts belonging to the same player. The fact they both headed right for me made me even more suspicious so I decided not to continue the game.

Of course when you think about it there's no reason someone couldn't do the same sort of thing on bigger games and someone smart probably wouldn't even be detected doing it. No doubt this already goes on.
dingo

dingo

I have to admit it gets frustrating when someone leaves the game on the 2nd turn if my friend and I play a few specific maps.

That and people who just stop taking their turn in 3v3 maps once they know they're going to lose. That's probably the most irritating, though it does suck to lose 20-25 points.
Orion3T

Orion3T

dingo wrote: I have to admit it gets frustrating when someone leaves the game on the 2nd turn if my friend and I play a few specific maps.

If you and your friend are joining a FFA 3 player map then I'm not surprised people leave if you give them the slightest hint they are going to get ganged up on, but maybe that's not what you mean. To be honest I can even imagine joining any FFA with a friend and agreeing not to attack each other would be borderline cheating at best. But again, maybe that's not what you are referring to.

Overall I think 3 player maps are best left well alone or leave them unrated. Rated 3 players will never work that I can see, far too abuseable.

That and people who just stop taking their turn in 3v3 maps once they know they're going to lose. That's probably the most irritating, though it does suck to lose 20-25 points.

Anyone quitting prematurely in a team game is annoying - I'd never do that unless we all agreed to surrender.

As an aside am I right in saying that if you are defeated in a game then your team goes on to win, you get credit for the win as well? Anyone ever been in this position?
Fortunato

Fortunato

Yeah, it can be tricky and these are good questions to raise. I agree with bailing on the crappy team game. However, I do agree that bailing on the 3-way after one turn was a bit premature as that could have been purely coincidental. I never join 3-way rated games for the concerns that you mentioned. And even when I do 3-way matches with friends, I prefer unrated. Luck can just play a much larger factor in three way matches than 1v1, 2v2 etc.

P.S. Uni, thx for the shout-out...appreciate it. Right back atcha. And Orion's a good teammate, too.
Orion3T

Orion3T

Yeah I think you're both right - my mistake on the 3-way was not to bail out, but to join it in the first place.

If it were unrated I'd have fought it out - better an active 3-way with little chance of winning than an 8-way match that grinds on for weeks and weeks...
dingo

dingo

I was only referring to a 2v2 map where people leave.

I don't play 1v1v1 at all.
Forum Index » General Discussion