[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Leviathan Rush: Why Khraleans have the best water unit
Forum Index » Khraleans
[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

Okay, so everybody has probably noticed that Leviathans are pretty bad at fighting other water units. They only have twelve attack against other water units (Destroyers have 16; Hydronauts have 13, with farther range). But, on the other hand, they are more cost effective, being only 600 credits where the other units are 800. Doing some simple math, we can tell that Leviathans are better for a couple reasons:

First, let's bring the price up from 600 to 800 credits. In doing so, we will also bring the stats up one-third (I will round down in this math, so don't freak out; also note that we only enhance the attack and defense stats:

Type:Original:New
Ground Light: 10: 13
Ground Heavy: 10: 13
Aerial: 8: 10 (This DOES leave something to be desired, as it is still the smallest one, but there's nothing we can do about that)
Aquatic: 12: 16 (This puts it equal to the Destroyer)
Defense: 11: 14

So, after all that, the Leviathan has the best stats in all the categories except for two, the Aerial and the Aquatic. In Aerial, most of the time, nobody throws a flying unit at a water unit, because the aerial unit will lose when both are full health. As for Aquatic, it is tied with the Destroyer, but it isn't behind. I don't think anybody would complain about that.

In conclusion, the Leviathan is the most cost-effective unit, having the best stats in proportion to the cost. Outlined below are the reasons why Leviathans are better water units (Seeing as they are still the weakest "brute force"-wise, you have to make up for that with sheer numbers).

1) You can make more Leviathans than Destroyers/Hydronauts simply because they are less expensive. In three turns, where 600 is given each turn, you can make three Leviathans, but only two Destroyers. If used correctly, the three Leviathans will win (I tested it a few times, it works with good coordination and use of the flank bonus). The Leviathans are left pretty badly damaged (depending on how it was played, one or two of them were destroyed). However, even if you only have one left, you are still ahead.

2) Because you can have more, you can take advantage of the flank bonus more.

3) In games like Starlake where you only have a small income with water, it is easy to rush for Leviathans as they are deadly when the enemy has no water units of his/her own.

That's it. I hope I've made it understandable with the stats and all. I hope I've changed some minds. Thoughts?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06, 2010 19:01

The most dangerous enemy is the one nobody fears
beijingdream

beijingdream

Titan's boat has better range, saps destroyer better mobility. You're sort of sound on cost effectiveness, but personally I love to throw flying units at boats. 2 garudas massacre a titan ship. At least the leviathan can fight back, but aerial units are great zoc against ships.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 18, 2010 08:38

[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

Agreed. Also, I recognize that it is possible to say that Underlings are more powerful than Pinzers proportionally, but you still wouldn't replace them against heavy units (or something like that).

But here's how I see it:

You against an ant (which seems appropriate). Yeah, it's stronger proportionally, but you can still crush it after a few stomps once you've collapsed it's exoskeleton. But because the water units are all pretty close, you are able to compare them with more equality (probably not the best word here, so input one of your own), if that makes sense.

The most dangerous enemy is the one nobody fears
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

I don't agree with you, apart from the rush. Sure, with it's low cost you can build it earlier, but that is it's ONLY advantage.
I can tell, I had a game with someone - don't remember his name - on Naval war, and we had a huge destroyers (me) / Leviathans (him) fight. I fille 3 line of water with destroyers (yes that much), and him probably 4-5 being a low cost unit. Now see we were building up forces, no one wanting to give the initial strike since the first rush assault failed for both sides, but then he charged. By attacking only low health units from his attacks, I could eventually defeat him, bringing him to an equal number of leviathans, and with the destroyer capability he just couldn't fare against me.

So on a rush, yes they are better. On everything else, they kinda suck

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

I disagree.
Putting this bluntly, I don't like Krahleans. Maybe that's because they're ugly and fat.

Besides, a group of the titan's hydronauts can cut up half of the leviathon's numbers.
I just like to weaken the whole group instead of just killing a few.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28, 2010 21:12

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
thethanx

thethanx

I agree that proportionally raising a unit's stats doesn't quite accurately asses their value. Especially with hydonauts extra range. Not only that but I almost always mix destroyers with helis as saps against khrals. If you want to look at stats lets compare helis vs leviathans:
Heli aquatic attack- 8
Defense- 10

Leviathan aerial- 8
Defense-11

So a full HP heli is on almost even ground with a leviathan... provided it can get close enough to attack of course.
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

thethanx wrote: I agree that proportionally raising a unit's stats doesn't quite accurately asses their value. Especially with hydonauts extra range. Not only that but I almost always mix destroyers with helis as saps against khrals. If you want to look at stats lets compare helis vs leviathans:
Heli aquatic attack- 8
Defense- 10

Leviathan aerial- 8
Defense-11

So a full HP heli is on almost even ground with a leviathan... provided it can get close enough to attack of course.

seeeeee............?
Leviathons are fat and they stink....

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
keymaster2

keymaster2

lethiathans aren't that bad.They deal damage to aerial and can attack units next to it(unlike hydronauts) but yes they are bad, but they are cheaper than walkers and walkers are weaker.It just depends how you use levathons and they are just misunderstood creatures
Forum Index » Khraleans