[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
The Hate Units
Forum Index » Guides & Tips
[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

I have noticed in my days playing UniWar that there are a few units of every race that I refer to as "Hate units". These are units that, when playing against that species, you will loathe those units because of their unfair strengths.

For the Titans, I have decided that the Hate unit is definitely the Eclipse. If you aren't Titans you have flying units and this thing will make you go nuts. It has a range of two, so it guards a relatively small area, but is shreds aerial units like mozzarella. It's weakness is heavy units. Another Hate unit for Titans is the Plasma Tank, although I think it is overrated.

For the Sapiens, the Hate unit has got to be the Helicopter. This is one of the main reasons I played Sapiens (now I play Khraleans). The Helicopter is one of the best units in the game, can cause extreme amounts of damage, and, wait for it, can retreat after attacking, allowing it to get out of risky situations and perhaps let another unit attack in that spot. This unit can be countered by lots of Khralean aerial units or artillery.

For the Khraleans, since I play them most of the time, I don't really know which is the Hate unit. Based on what I play, I think it would most likely be the Pinzer. This unit is also one of the best in the game, with a huge defense and a high repair rate of two. Where most units are slowed down, this unit does very well in the desert. These tanks can hold choke points and are very difficult to destroy (I believe they are tougher than Plasma Tanks, to be quite honest, because of the repair rate). Their weakness is flying units.

Now, let's consider the strengths and weaknesses of these three Hate units. They actually counter each other. The helicopter, the Pinzer, and the Eclipse are like rock, paper, and scissors. Most people might think that the rock, paper scissors thing comes from the engineer units and their special abilities, but I believe that the RPS aspect comes from these three Hate units. Think about your past games. Did they revolve around these Hate units (you can include the Plasma Tank)? I would guess so.

BUT, that's just my modest opinion. Thoughts?

The most dangerous enemy is the one nobody fears
beijingdream

beijingdream

Eclipses dish out massive damage to flying units, but a Garuda will hit it pretty hard. Sure, the garuda takes a little more damage, but it cost 150 less. Although you're right about Pinzers being awesome because of repair rate (plant an infector behind it and watch it heal +6 in a turn: can your plasma tank do that?), I disagree about the khralean 'hate unit.' I think snakes (I'm forgetting what they're actually called) are the serious hate unit. As titans, I can shred khraleans players until they put a pinzer up front with even one snake behind. They block anything I try to get close to it, it dishes out ridiculous damage, and it's relatively cheap (at least compared to walkers) and can attack after move, something unique to khralean artillery. I really, really hate those *@#$!ing things.
[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

They're called the Wyrm. There's a units section on the site that I just looked it up in.

They are pretty awesome. Their weakness is range, although since they can attack after moving, this pretty much cancels it out. They're the same price as Batteries. Because they have high attacks (and it's right up there with the Walker, save for one less against Aerial, so it's not weak at all) they are very deadly to anything. I see what you are saying, which is that Pinzers, although great for defense, are not really the best attackers even though they have high attacks (except against Aerial units), so they are mostly just used to sit there and repair themselves, or with an infector if you have a wall, until Wyrms can take down the enemy. Wyrms are more active, is what you are saying. They are doing something where the Pinzer is just sitting there. Good point.

[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

Also, Garuda's are basically flying Pinzers. They also have a repair rate of two and have a high defense with high attacks, even on Aerial units. The Garuda usually makes up a large part in a Khralean army (I mean, many could argue against that notion, but any Khralean player who has not seriously exploited the use of Garudas should try them in large packs to see their effectiveness) and are probably one of the best unit when considering it's only 350 credits.

I like to think that they are a Pinzer's best friend because they work well together, one taking the ground while the other takes the sky (and ground). Since they both repair at the same rate, which is high in Uniwar, they can just sit there and defend while repairing every turn.

If you have one Pinzer with two Garudas, you have a great team. It only costs 1150, which I suppose is expensive, but compared to teams of other races (A tank and two helicopters (which wouldn't happen because helicopters are superior) is 1400 or a Plasma tank and two Eclipses (It seems like a good team) is 1300). They can take down a lot of heavy equipment if used correctly.

There are countless little teams that work well with each other in all races. The engineer units are many times part of it, especially if their special abilities make the team more effective. I really like Khraleans for the repair rates of the two more powerful units and the underlings and for many other reasons.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 05, 2010 13:37

[Avatar]
IzzyNobre

[Avatar]
IzzyNobre

I'm gonna break the mold and nominate a suport unit for my hate unit: the Infector. As in, "my oponents HATE when I use it".
Myself, I actually love it.

Of course, it's really only a bigger pain in the ass for the enemies when you're playing against Sapiens. The thing is, not only does it provide you with an invaluable repair bonus, the Infector dishes out the infection - which my buddies immaturely like to refer to as "THE AIDS".

I've turned many a standstills thanks to infection (which forces the player to yield a move with a key unit to avoid the spread of the disease). If not dealt with IMMEDIATELY, the infection will cause a bigger pain in the ass in the long run.

The engineer is pretty awesome, too. Even after the nerf (remember when you could EMP after moving? Those were the days, hehe. Poor Titan players...), the hability to take out a huge area's worth of enemy Titans will turn the tides pretty quick.

In fact, when playing against Titans, my default starting move is create two Engineers. Not a lot of players can bounce back from a one-two EMP suckerpunch. And you only have until he pumps out a Walker to worry about defending them.
[Avatar]
guolin

[Avatar]
guolin

charnal wrote: Also, Garuda's are basically flying Pinzers. They also have a repair rate of two and have a high defense with high attacks, even on Aerial units. The Garuda usually makes up a large part in a Khralean army (I mean, many could argue against that notion, but any Khralean player who has not seriously exploited the use of Garudas should try them in large pacts to see their effectiveness) and are probably one of the best unit when considering it's only 350 credits.

Oh darn. I personally haven't used the Garuda a lot. I guess I'll have to use it a bit more - after all, I'm currently using Pinzers for offense against even Mechas. Garudas can kill those lighties while Pinzers take the annoying Eclipses/defend/wall. And I can't even believe you two didn't know/forgot the name of the amazing, almighty Wyrm. You forgot its range of 1 - not only does that allow it to counterattacker close-rangers, it can also punish units like Hydronauts, Batteries, and Walkers without getting hurt themselves!

Also, I'd like to suggest Underlings as a possible hate unit. I find myself spawning loads of them in the beginning, then burying them. Not only do they confuse the opponent, but if you can put 6 buried Underlings around a base, that's going to turn the tide. Even if they succesfully "defend" by bring some heavies down there? You can push with some Pinzers, Wyrms, and Garudas down the front. If they build an Assimilator? Two resurfaces, and that guy is no more.
[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

Good point, guolin. You can really tear apart a player's domestic defense with underlings. They are basically phantoms when you surface them again and again in different spots. In another article (http://www.uniwar.com/forum/posts/list/403.page, at the bottom) I explain the effectiveness of using underlings to capture bases and/or force your opponent to spend credits that are lemons because they are never used.

It seems as though the Khraleans have many hate units. *cough* But that's why they're the best race *cough cough*

[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

charnal wrote:

It seems as though the Khraleans have many hate units. *cough* But that's why they're the best race *cough cough*

LIES!!! Titans can beat krahls on any big map....Invite me if you would like to try it out...

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

Okay. Let's go. I'll invite you to Starvation. Unrated. You must be Titans. One day for turns. Everything's on there.

[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

huh...
not starvation.
Maybe a map like thermo, where there aren't so many mountains....

[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

Set it up and invite me then. Unrated, of course.

[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

Okay, but you'll have to wait because right now I have 20 games...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 07, 2010 14:19

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

Yep, Khralies are the best. I'd probably agree that I hate the Pinzer the most when I play other races (it's so crazy tough!), but as Khraleans I rarely use it because the other units are so great. Wyrms are awesome, as well as Swarmers, so I often use those as the main heavy hitters. Between the two of them, those units can tear through defenses in no time, making Khraleans great at offense, but as you guys have noted Garuda and Pinzer are tough and can heal 6 with one infector, making the Khralies great at defense too. Basically, bugs rule in UniWar.

DroidFreak, the roboticist who plays as Khrals.

(Or Titans now that I realize how legit they are)
[WWW]
cogger

cogger

Id have to nominate the infector as the hate unit of the khrals . I like saps, and that means using a lot of marines. Usually when i see garudas, i just laugh and gang attack them and finish them off with the helicopter. But when i see the infector coming up the rear of them, i really have to watch where i poace my marines, which usuallu means no gangup bonuses
[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

Hate unit = Walker.

It kills you when you CAN'T SEE IT!

Hate hate hate

Sanity is for the weak!!!
Forum Index » Guides & Tips