[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Nuclear Missiles
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Destructor49

Destructor49

So I was playing starcraft recently and I was thinking that it would be awesome if a nuke or similar weapon was integrated. This is different from a suicide attack unit as the missile would have to be a special ability of say an engineer or artillery class unit (battery/walker) and would deal massive ammounts of damage to it's targets. I was thinking something like this:

-Nukes could be launched from heavy ranged units
-Nukes would deal damage over a 3-hex radius
-If any given unit is at the very center of the blast radius it is instantly destroyed (even buried units)
-Targets immediatley next to the blast center would recieve moderate-sever damage (as in like 6-8 points worth)
-Targets 2-3 hexes away would recieve minor-moderate damage (2-5 points worth)
-Units that survive the strike will recieve radiation damage for 2-3 turns unless repaired by an engineer class
-If the unit that launched the nuke is within the blast radius, it along with any friendly units recieve equal damage as all hostile units.
-The unit launching the nuke does not have to be within standard attack range. Nukes would have a range of 5 hexes even on non-visible terrain.
-Nukes have a built in travel time of around 1-2 turns and can be shot down by air units and ground units alike, however since they are a small target they are hard to hit but if you do hit them massive damage is dealt (like a 3 in 10 chance to hit and destroy it)
-In order to launch a nuke a player would have to have mad cash like around 1500 credits for one nuke

---The next three ideas are not official but I thought I'd put them in anyway---
-Players would have to pay extra money like around 500 credits when purchasing a long range unit (like a battery) to give it nuclear launch capabilities, meaning only equipped artillery units could launch nukes.
-idk if this would work bt maybe if a nuke targets a base the player in control of that base losses control of it.
-Similrly to how each race has special abilities against another maybe nukes could work that way instead of radiation damage.
>Sapien nukes could make a EMP and disable all titan units within the blast radius for 2 turns
>Khralean nukes could leave damaging residual acid on all sapien units for 2-3 turns
>Titan nukes could leave crater that any khralean unit passing through would recieve minor damage if travel through for 2 turns

Let me know what you think!!
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

I'm not sure about this. You seem to have good ideas, but uniwar is doing fine without "super units" like that nuke or "experimentals" in Supreme Commander for example.
But that aside, i don't think khraleans would have a built a top-tech missile capable of dealing massive damage whilst having no technology at all (being only organics)

I'd say it's definitively not a good idea for uniwar, i tend not to like "uber units" so much, bu thanks for sharing your thoughts!

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
Britannia

Britannia

It could be do-able. Nuke units would have to cost the most, and they would need to cost a bitch in order to make them balanced....... I think to prevent OP you would have to limit the hex radius to a 3-CLUSTER, yes you read correctly, cluster, not radius, especially if they were to do the amount of damage you were talking about. I think you could launch a nuke to anywhere on the board you can see. I don't think nukes should have a "travel time", balancing them out can be easily achieved via recharge time. Also, to prevent people from buying tons of these units on maps with high amounts of Credits-per-Base-per-Turn, each unit would have an insanely high recharge time (say 15-20 turns) which would apply to all a player's nuke units.

Example. I have 10 nuke units, I deploy a nuke, all 10 of those units would then have to wait the recharge time before firing another nuke. They would have insane range though, which would allow it to be used routinely.

I feel that this could be a good idea because it would allow for ground to naval attacks. I feel, for a good chunk of maps, if ships want to stay away from land units, they can do it easily. I feel particularly bad for titans, as I am a Khralean man, there are two or three maps with low Credits-per-Base-per-Turn amounts that have naval bases. On these bases, I build tons of cheap Khralean ships and keep them out of reach of the Titans walker units. As the Titans have no air units, I can run maneuver circles around them on these maps, giving me complete naval supremacy. The nuke could help eliminate that. Just thinking out loud.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 22, 2010 20:58

Forum Index » New Feature Request