[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Marines: Underated?
Forum Index » Sapiens
Are Marines underrated?
Yes 64% [ 14 ]
No 36% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 22
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

My helis were getting killed by swarmers the other day, so I decided to build some marines. The marines surprised me by killing the swarmers easily. Two of my marines could kill a swarmer on the right terrain. Heck, three of my marines did 9 damage to a garuda on the right terrain. So my question is: Are Marines underated?

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
phishster

phishster

Well, seeing as the mecha has only one less attack vs aerial and one more defense, along with it's tele ability it isn't that much of an advantage. Swarmers are low defense, so you are supposed to have some extra defense(hence, swarming) against capture units. Swarmers are they only thing they have a chance against, and that is with the swarmed trapped, alone, and unable to utilize it's range. If you let 3 marines get within attacking range of a swarmer without a comeback then that swarmer is in trouble.
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

thanks for the feedback phishster.
but I think marines also have a pretty good chance against garudas on the right terrain i.e. forest or mountains

[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Marines kicks ass! Although they don't have any abilities, they rape air easily and gets you a cheap AA unit. Countless times i've pulverized an incoming swarmer swarm (lol) and on the right terrain (forest/mountain) swarmers just don't stand a chance! They say mecha is slower but more powerful, I really don't see how he's powerful if it isn't for that +1 in defense.
And I don't agree with phishster, marines don't just own swarmers, but every air units. Make a wall of them on forest and attack enemy air first with them then go for the kill with the copters or batteries if you have the,

As a newbie I didn't understand why marines didn't have any special ability, but now I understand why, they just rock

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
Orion3T

Orion3T

Marines are Saps best Anti-Air unit IMO. Other than a well-defended batter of course. Helis are good but quite expensive and very slow to repair. I'd take 5 marines vs a heli any day provided they can get good terrain.

Mechas are not so good on forested maps as their move is much slower. Marines get 2 forest spaces mecha only 1. So not so able to gang up on aeriel units but still decent on good terrain and especially on mountains. Of course slightly better in defense due to +1 defense.

Really the terrain, and therefore which map you are on, is key. If it were all desert and plains marines are pretty weak. On forests/mountains marines are great. Also depends how many bases you have of course - ultimately if you can only make 1 unit per round marines aren't gonna cut it on most maps.

That said I wouldn't say they are underrated by good players, and bad players are just as likely to overrate them especially on weak terrain. This goes for all units of course - they are all good in the right circumstances. Except for tanks. Tanks suck. If I make a tank it's generally because I can't afford anything better but must build something for defense, or because a titans opponent decided to spam eclipses.

EDIT: Or possibly on maps with lots of desert where tanks faster move is handy against PTs, provided they don't just kill them in 1 turn. Which is still likely.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16, 2010 02:23

[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

probably the reason you could beat the swarmers with the marines easier is that marines are almost as good as helos against air, (especially weak ones like swarmers) and they are five times cheaper. one helo can *almost* knock out a swarmer, but it still takes two of them. two marines can sometimes kill a swarmer (on the right terrain), and three definitely can, so for 1000 credits you can build 2 helos, and kill one swarmer a turn (which doesn't account for repairing, and the fact that they would be overwhelmed because with so few targets, the swarmers will easily knock them out). building marines, you can build ten marines, and knock out three swarmers at least. plus, there are more targets, so the swarmers will be less focused.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27, 2010 14:13

thethanx

thethanx

I agree, marines are fantastic anti-air, but I feel like people are forgetting about infectors, too many marines and a smart khral player can turn them against you... In truth a good mix of strategically placed marines, helis and even mauraders (especially with a gang up bonus) can do a number on garudas and swarmers alike. mauraders and helis are also useful for keeping away those infectors from your marines...
[Avatar]
dr34dn0ught

[Avatar]
dr34dn0ught

Marines are awesome marines are the best exterminators in the galaxy, as long as you have 3 or 4 marines they aint scared of no bug. but against titans they just sit back on defense n shoot up anything that teleports anywhere near them.

Life is too short to skip dessert
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

Against saps or krahleans on rocky maps, I like to take down them fliers with a few marines on the rocks.
My marines ain't scared of nothing!

thethanx

thethanx

I feed my marines wheaties... but mountains help
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

thethanx wrote: I feed my marines wheaties...

I give my marines steak for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

On rocky, a couple of swarmers can take care of any marines if they shoot from the water

PS: Khralean meat?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 10, 2010 06:11

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
thethanx

thethanx

yea actually on a fewmaps swarmers are a pretty good counter to sap infantry

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12, 2010 11:05

Gen Petraeus

Gen Petraeus

Yea? Well I think before the update, Marines were underrated; didn't they take one point away from their aerial attack? So they not as good now? Either I think they should put that point back, and downgrade the Khralean Swarmer; weaken its attack against things like um, battleships? I believe they are destroyers, but 5 of them can kill one battleship, which I think is a little cheap; yes I had more visiblility than them but I couldn't get into range to kill them, even with helis guarding them, because THIS GUY SWARMED ME. yea. Marines used to be underrated, now they just kind of plain out suck; give back their AA point and weaken the swarm's atttack just a tad bit. Because 5 Swarmers won't kill an air unit, but it will kill a battleship? Don't make any sense if you know what I mean.

Why is it that people suck sometimes?
It's a question I ask myself sometimes. My answer??? "It's Life noob! Get on with it!"
[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

5 swarmers cost 1,250 credits
One sapien battleship costs 800 credits
Just saying

Sorry if i offended you
Forum Index » Sapiens