[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Penalize players that drop out immediately
Forum Index » New Feature Request
zCRP

zCRP

Often I start a new game only to find that the opponent has dropped out immediately. This usually results in no score for both but I think that there should be a small penalty for people behaving like this.
aurens

aurens

I quite agree. I sometimes get four of these in a row. It seems that some folks keep challenging until they find a scenario they know they can win. Cowards!
clamato

clamato

The only thing is there's a lot of legitimate reasons people drop out immediately, especially if they're the one who started the game (for example someone comes on with an offensive name or who insulted them needlessly in a past game, I've dropped other players for both those reasons recently.)

There's also not a way to filter by ratings and some want to play against other high-rated players. If you're 1900 you may not feel like playing against someone who's 1300 (or vice versa.)

I agree it's irritating, but look at it this way, it's better than when you're playing a 12-hour or longer game and someone just stops making moves. Then your only option is to wait it out or surrender. I'd rather someone just leave quickly if they're going to be a poor sport instead of wasting one of my slots doing nothing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12, 2009 13:47

arinya

arinya

Well I don't always get to play much so a day might go by when I don't get to check in and make a move. I agree that there should be something done for people that stop making moves when they see that they are going to loose and hope that they get dropped. You get nothing for dropping them even if you are winning! I hate it but I just might be one of those guys that has not been able to get back into the game because I've been too busy.

Maybe if a player has been unactive for a really long time they can get points deducted? I dunno. But I'm sure the Uniware team are on to this.
exile

exile

One thing that becomes frustrating is when a player drops out on an 8 player map, the first to grab the empty bases are teleporting titans, making it unfair for the other races. This very reason is why I make 8 player maps with only one race allowed. It would be cool if the bases where unavailable for a few turns after they dropped out giving more people a chance to get to them beside those who chose to be titans.
Jelaludo

Jelaludo

+1 to the idea of somehow "freezing" the bases of a player who surrendered in a multiplayer game.

For the imbalance mentioned above, but also because that can be abused by unethical players with access to two iPods/iPhone, i.e. just join the game with two accounts, drop out with one (located next to the other), to give an unfair advantage in early extra bases without fight.

Whenever I join a multiplayer game and there is a "high ranking" (1800+) AND a very low ranking (1400s), then I get suspicious that the low account might just be used to prop up the other one.

Otherwise, there are many valid reasons for one to drop immediately :

- gonna be busy/out of reach for the next few days, can't even commit to a 1-day pace
- the game is an unfair setup (there are many, say, player 1 is Terran on desolate, you are Titan and you'll never get your second expansion
- there is no obligation, moral or otherwise, to play on somebody else's terms, it's a game, and it starts when both players agree on the parameters.

I think the best games are those with people whom you've played before, and there is an agreement beforehand as to what the next game will be.

Anonymous

Anonymous
You can have multiple accounts on the same device actually, and since it's a turn based game you could technically play an 8 player game by yourself. Unless they find a way to make it one account per phone there's not much you can do to stop abuses.

I think the answer to this one is to just not care about ratings so much. Play the game for fun not some arbitrary score that is very easy to artificially inflate.
Anonymous

Anonymous
> You get nothing for dropping them even if you
> are winning!

I definitely think this should be changed. If the game has went on more that 2-3 rounds then it should be a game for points and you shouldn't be able to get out of losing by just ignoring the game.

I have a hard fought game on round 23, that I'm winning, and the guy just stopped taking his turn (it's a 3-day game so it's not like he didn't have the chance). I'll give him a few more days before I get tired of seeing it and kick him but it's been a lot of time and work for no score.
rolando

rolando

Anonymous wrote: > You get nothing for dropping them even if you
> are winning!

I definitely think this should be changed. If the game has went on more that 2-3 rounds then it should be a game for points and you shouldn't be able to get out of losing by just ignoring the game.

I have a hard fought game on round 23, that I'm winning, and the guy just stopped taking his turn (it's a 3-day game so it's not like he didn't have the chance). I'll give him a few more days before I get tired of seeing it and kick him but it's been a lot of time and work for no score.

If the game is rated, after 3 rounds it counts towards your score, even if the player surrenders or gets kicked.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 17, 2009 21:42

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thanks rolando ... I misunderstood from some of the earlier posts.

I think it's quite reasonable to let someone out in the first three turns before it counts towards the score.
zCRP

zCRP

I still think that someone who enters a game only to surrender immediately should receive some form of penalization. Let it be symbolic, like 2-3 points or something like that, but the current policy is very annoying.

I think it should be after each makes their first move myself.

There's too many good reasons for dropping someone before the game starts (like it's a random matchup you don't want, the same person joins multiple games you set up, you have a bad experience with them before, etc.)

I could come up with more, all valid. It's an annoyance when someone drops out but it's a lot better that they do it at the beginning than disappearing altogether when you're 10 rounds in.

If you ask me the big problem is people joining games then disappearing and never making a move. A lot of people try the game out and then disappear, that's way, way more annoying than someone dropping out right away, and there's nothing you can do about that.
Forum Index » New Feature Request