[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Feature requests
Forum Index » New Feature Request
ggez44

ggez44

I'm almost sure this has been requested before, but here goes anyway:

- when creating a new game, allow a setting for player rating (e.g. only players > 1900 can join)
- when creating a new game, allow a setting for races (no khraleans available this game)
- when joining a game, filter on average level of players? this is less concrete, but basically i don't want to see matches which have a bunch of 1400 players.

thanks!
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

ggez44 wrote: I'm almost sure this has been requested before, but here goes anyway:

- when creating a new game, allow a setting for player rating (e.g. only players > 1900 can join)
- when creating a new game, allow a setting for races (no khraleans available this game)
- when joining a game, filter on average level of players? this is less concrete, but basically i don't want to see matches which have a bunch of 1400 players.

thanks!

uh we already can choose which races we don't want available.
Unless you're talking about rated games...

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
[Avatar]
Nixflix

[Avatar]
Nixflix

disabling certain races on rated games would be unfair, unless if they make it if you disable it then you cant use it either

Sorry if i offended you
asdf

asdf

The starting player already has the ability to remove players from the game. So this in effect is a way to limit races in the game. For example, if I start a game and only want to play against titans, then I can just keep removing players who want to join that aren't using titans. When a titan player does come along, then I play out the game. It seems that limiting races should not force a game to be unrated since the starting player already has the ability to remove a player. Either remove the forced unrated game feature or remove the ability to remove a player.
[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

In my opinion, if you need to cheat to get what you want (I'd say discriminating is cheating) than you don't deserve to get points for winning. Honestly, why would you want to play against a certain race? Do you think you are better against one race more than the other?

That's why you learn the weaknesses of the units you hate (like the helicopter), find a way to beat it (not telling you my strategy in particular), and plan for that maneuver when the time comes. Every unit (micro) and every race (macro) has a weakness. Each race has a strength against the other two races to exploit each and every one of the weakness of every race and unit, blah blah blah, word salad, word salad. Just play to get stronger. Play unrated games until you are confident in your ability to win. When you make mistakes or play someone who is better than you, you will get better for the next time. (hint: that's how a sport or game grows, everybody gets better at some point and then their friends want to play )

That wraps up my speech about not cheating or something. Whatever. Just play fairly. Don't play rated games if you don't like to play fairly.

The most dangerous enemy is the one nobody fears
asdf

asdf

lol. how is that cheating? Liking to play against a certain race is not cheating. Far from it.

It's already built in the game that you can remove a player that is trying to join your game. Since that is already allowed, and can be used to filter out races, then there is no point in forcing a game to be unrated if you want to limit the races. Think about what you say before you say it.
thethanx

thethanx

I wouldnt go as far as calling you a cheater, but Charnel has a good point- by picking and choosing what races you play against you can essentially always give yourself an edge over other players. Especially since some maps give a significant advantage to one race over another (Titans on peninsulas for example have an incredible edge with teleport)

Part of the strategy of the game, at least I feel, is that when you pick a race you plan on a strategy for NO MATTER what the other person picks. Hand picking what races joins your games isn't cheating because it's built into the system, but I have to agree that it's a cop out to real strategy.

Going back to my peninsulas example, a team with even just one titan player will almost always beat a team without titans, simply because they can get to, and protect the outside bases with ease. By your logic, I could create a game, set myself up as titans, and then boot anyone on the other team who does pick titans so I can with 99% accuracy know I will win that game.
Is this cheating? Not literally, I mean, cheating is that hack a while back that let a 2 hp ling one shot a full plasma tank. Does it eliminate a certain element of fairness and strategy? I would have to say yes, it does.

I can totally understand booting a player for having way to low of a rating, and I agree there should be a way to set a cap (but what if a players rating drops below the limit during the game?). On the other hand I think waiting until you can play the exact game you want with the opponents you want is kinda like training wheels... which is why those types of games are unrrated.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, I'm not trying to flame you just let you know why people like Charnel and myself find that particular discrimination... unethical. I hope we can come to an understanding.
asdf

asdf

So would you say that the feature should be removed that allows you to remove a player? Since removing any player for any reason is unfair? Come on. If a certain map really does have an advantage for 1 race over another, then the joining player should know that and just not join the game. Simple.
thethanx

thethanx

Please do me a favor and reread my post. I SPECIFICALLY said that removing a player due to a low rating I think IS a good idea... I believe the sentence started with "I can totally see booting a player..."

What I'm saying is that by waiting until only the races you want to play against join a game gives you an unfair advantage. I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm basically just saying it's a pretty sad way to make up for skill...

Saying the joining player should simply know better is an increbily weak excuse, which is why you find it so "simple" and it falsely blames innocent people for lack of experience, yes some people should know better and probably do, but some people HAVEN'T PLAYED LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW.

Listen, I'm done with this topic, feel free to continue doing whatever you like, just don't expect us, or anyone who sees this and agrees with us, to ever join a game of yours. If you really want, I'll show you what it's like on the other end of your tactics. I'll pick the maps and races for both of us, and we'll see how you fair...
asdf

asdf

lol. No logic whatsoever. You are done because you are wrong. There is nothing wrong with wanting to play against a certain race. Doesn't matter what the experience level is of either player. That is not the issue.
[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

You know what, asdf? I agree with you completely. I do not think there is anything wrong with wanting to experiment with certain races on certain maps. In fact, I would encourage that. It could allow you to see some raw hard strategy when it comes to the pros and cons of any race.

But when it comes to RATED GAMES, you should never know what to expect. The unrated games are for experimentation. That's like R and D (research and development) in any company that sells a product. But rated games are the real world. That's when you have no idea who or what will happen. That's REAL war. You never know what to expect. You can have the best ratings from all your focus groups, but if REAL consumers hate the product, you've lost money. THAT'S what is simple.

I second thethanx's movement on leaving this forum. You can argue with yourself over this. So by my troff, I am off.

asdf

asdf

lol. If there is an advantage of one race or another on a certain map, then that is a fault of the map NOT the player. By some people's logic, it would be unfair to start a game when the joining player has a disadvantageous race. That's complete bs. If the joining player wants to use that race, then where's the problem? Should the starting player remove the joining player in that case to keep things fair? Total lack of logic. Blame the map not the player.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

asdf, you're so full of shit. thethanx and charnal were nice enough to try and reason with you, but you mindlessly keep putting them down and take out the same stupid argument. For you it's not "logical". Are you a Startreck freak?

Anyways, if you don't see the discrimination/disadvantage for the other player not being able to pick his race, then you're a complete moron. You persist on saying a good player will never join such a game, then WHY the hell do you make them? I'd say it's to trap some players that aren't sure of what they're doing and don't have lots of experience. It's not cheating like thethanx said, but it's so fucking unfair and if you can't see that then I guess you like playing unfair.

Don't you think the developers put some thought into this? You think that you, the consumer, can know exactly what to do for the game to be "better" while you didn't even touch the developing of the game or the brainstorming before hand??

Seriously, if you can't play fair by letting the other player choose his race, then you should be rather playing with bots because you don't seem to see the competition in this game...

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
asdf

asdf

lol. You are so stupid. Only "Startreck" fan use logic? Unbelievable. Your reasoning is flawed. Just because you say someone is trying to reason with me doesn't mean their argument is sound. So stupid.

Here's a scenario. Let's say there is a map that supposedly completely favors Titans over Saps. So I create a game with Titans as my race. And the 1st person who wants to join the game chooses Saps as his race. Is it unfair for me to start the game? Would it matter if the Saps player had a higher rank then me? Did I discriminate against his choice of that race? No. If a player WANTS to use Saps against me, how is that limiting his races?

Unless you don't play that often, you should know that when you beat a player with a much lower rank then you, that you get NO ranking boost.

If you really think it is unfair to only want to play a certain race, then you should also want to do away with the ability to remove a player. So regardless of race or ranking, there should be no reason to remove a player.

This is a game. People play to have fun. If you have more fun playing against a certain race on a certain map, then where's the harm? If you were to join a tournament, then I can understand where that wouldn't fly, but if not, then so what?

Think about what you say before you say it. If you think a race has an advantage in a certain map over another race, then that is a problem with the map NOT the player. Simple. And still, you just "think" there is an advantage. That doesn't mean you won't get beat.

It also works the other way. I also play games which I "think" are to my disadvantage just so I can get more experience with the matchup. So I keep removing players until someone joins that uses the race which I think is the bad matchup for me and that has a higher rank then me.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 17, 2010 09:12

[Avatar]
charnal

[Avatar]
charnal

Okay, this is too juicy to let go.

You say "this is a game, so what wrong with wanting to play one certain race against another?" THAT'S WHAT UNRATED GAMES ARE FOR!

And the fact that you are arguing against two, maybe three (yeah, that's me ) more experienced players than you points out that you have no respect for experience. Yes, there are people like Hitler in this game that go crazy after they get to the top, but most of them are pretty cool people and they know what they're talking about.

Obviously you aren't reading the long posts, so I'm just gonna stop there.

Case closed. I win. You lose. Court adjourned. Jury dismissed.

(Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ohs nos!)

I might be back for more if you say something else.

Forum Index » New Feature Request