[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Scoring algorithm?
Forum Index » New Feature Request
zCRP

zCRP

How are scores determined?
[Avatar]
Gargoyle

[Avatar]
Gargoyle

I agree. This would be great to know. For example, do I lose more points for surrendering or for fighting to the death. How does the level of my opponent figure into the scoring (i.e., do I get more points for winning against a Top 10 player than against a noob)? Do different maps provide different points for winning?
rebelxt

rebelxt

scores only depend on your and opponent's rating at the moment when game ends. if ratings are equal, score diff is 15. one can lose up to 30 rating points if he/she loses to a player with much lower rating (by a few hundred points).

whether you surrender or fight to the death does not matter.
[Avatar]
Gargoyle

[Avatar]
Gargoyle

Thanks, Rebel. How does it work in team games where there could be a big swing between teammate ratings?
rebelxt

rebelxt

in team games they seem to calculate average score for each team, and then calculate score change using the same algorithm. i noticed both team mates always get the same rating change even if there is big swing between teammate ratings
DEvil

DEvil

Will this algorithm be extended in future versions? I think the count of units destroyed/lost (depending on the kind of unit) and bases captured/lost should also be considered.
[Avatar]
Gargoyle

[Avatar]
Gargoyle

I agree with DEvil. More carnage should equal more points.
brainiac

brainiac

also staying alive for more rounds before losing should result is less score loss.

does anyone understand how scoring works in multiplayer games (not team matches)? i remember one game when the guy that came in second had a bigger minus than the guy who can in third which doesn't make sense
Anonymous

Anonymous
In a free for all game, each player that is knocked loses as many points as he would in a 1v1 - so, around 15 if his level is around the average of the other players, 20 if slightly above, and so on.

These lost points are then split evenly between the survivors.

So, in a 4-way FFA, supposing all have equal rank and will lose 15 points (I'm actually not sure 15 is right, but anyway):

4th player is -15. (Which gives 5 points to each survivor)
3rd player loses 15, but has gained 5 so net is -10. His -15 gives 7 points to each survivor.
2rd player loses 15 but has gained 5 + 7 so net is -3. His 15 goes entirely the only survivro.
1st payer gains 5 + 7 + 15 = 27.

Anonymous

Anonymous
I wouldn't want to see scoring based on duration, bases captured, or units destroyed. As in chess, it's winning that counts.

What I would like is a system that considers the odds of winning a given scenario. For example, if one map favors first-turn sapiens against second-turn titans so much that the former win 75% of the time (as recorded by the uniwar server), there should be more points awarded for winning as a second-turn titan than as a first-turn sapiens.
lion37

lion37

I think that any player ranked above 1900 should get zero points for winning against players ranked less than 1700.
This would prevent all the "farming" that we are seeing.
Some highly ranked players just set up these no-win games hoping that a new player joins in.

If my suggestiuon is adopted, then the only way to advange beyond a score of 1900 is to win against experienced players that know what they are doing and will not enter into no-win games.

This will also make it easy to tell who is really a master since anyone with a score much higer than 1900 would clearly be someone that earned his score.

A more general sugestion is simply that you cannot earn any points defeating someone that is ranked over 200 points less than you.
lorfje

lorfje

Maps with a large first-mover advantage should be improved anyway (this is happening). As for maps that have a clear race-advantage, maybe a warning could be given if the map cannot be made more balanced.

On the issue of strong vs. weak players, to play a strong player also means you get to learn fast, so you do get something in return for your (modest) investment of points...
rebelxt

rebelxt

I also wouldn't want to see scoring based on duration/units captures/etc. Winning is the only thing that should count.

Sometimes a game is decided within first 5-6 rounds (especially on small maps), and if I'm at a disadvantage against a good player, it doesn't make sense for me to turtle and drag the game for days, so I'd rather just surrender but not take extra penalty for it.
magic molly

magic molly

Oh, not this again.

Why does everyone question the ever-perfected 1500 point system? It has been used by countless different games, with almost no changes made, to great ability. Changes to it may make it seem more perfect, but as rebel said, the currently proposed changes would simply encourage turtleing, instead of simply recognizing defeat and surrendering.

Also, think of the coders. Would you rather they made you your update, or shot the rating system to hell? Would you rather they fixed all the bugs in this forum, or that they shoot the rating system to hell? Would you rather they made the game and the community aspect of the game better, or that they shoot the rating system to hell?

However, it would be nice to know the exact algorithm, rather than just guessing based on what we've seen.

And lion, (his idea was to limit the points gained by 1900+ pointers v 1700- pointers) it's already a rather small gain for them to waste time playing versus lower point people. When they win, they get 4-5 points, but if they lose, they might lose up to 25 points. I remember i got 22 points off a very high pointed player when i had only about 1500 points.
Anonymous

Anonymous
the "1500 point system" (a.k.a the Elo Rating System) is just fine.

my biggest issues are :

- all games vs bots should be unrated
- ranked FFA games give an incentive for collusion and/or foulplay (multiple accounts for one)

Forum Index » New Feature Request