[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
3 minutes turn game
Forum Index » General Discussion
tian

tian

hey guys, im new here and have a question about 3 minute turn game. i joined 2 and it says the game won't start until my opponent starts. what would happen if he decided to wait half a day before starting the game, after the game started, do i have to be there and take my turn within 3 minutes after he took his turn?

Thanks.
Sphink

Sphink

Yes, if he waited and started the game later you would have 3 minutes after he started it to take your turn. If you are not online at that time you will probably be skipped and eventually kicked, however the game will be counted as unrated because it did not go into the 4th round.

Good luck, Have fun!

My biased opinions are open-minded.
-Sphink
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

I've never played a 3 minute game...They can be used as a cheap way to get points...
the first online uniwar game I ever played was 10 minutes...and it was a biggggggggg hassle...that's why I only stick to 3 day games now...1 day if it's unrated.

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
asdf

asdf

No such thing as a cheap way to get points, except by a hack. Either you are paying attention and taking your turns, or you are a dumbass.
Sphink

Sphink

asdf wrote: No such thing as a cheap way to get points, except by a hack. Either you are paying attention and taking your turns, or you are a dumbass.

wow, do you always post negitive comments when someone else disagrees with your opinion? He said "they CAN be used as a cheap way to get points." not "it is a cheap way to get points.".

You could have just stated why you like them instead of calling the people who don't like them names. I don't like them because if anything at all comes up at work (where I mostly play) I get skipped on a perfectly good evenly matched game and if it's at a critical point at the game I feel cheated. Although it was my fault for joining the game in the first place. I will play 10 minute games because I can do something at work and come back to the game, make my moves, then go back to work.

For those who enjoy the "on your toes action" of a 3 minute game, more power to you! I enjoy them too.
10 minute games are better in my opinion because there is some extra time incase something comes up (important phone call, text message, work, life...) then you have a little extra time to play with.

Good luck, Have fun!

-Sphink
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

asdf wrote: No such thing as a cheap way to get points, except by a hack. Either you are paying attention and taking your turns, or you are a dumbass.

lol. I'm no dumbass...unless the definition for a "dumbass" has changed recently.

asdf

asdf

lol. no such thing as a cheap win. either you play by the rules or you don't. such a simple thing to understand. if your turn gets skipped, that is not cheap in any way. you didn't take your turn, so you deserve to lose it.
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

I have a question though asdf...you haven't played one online rated game yet, so you're just stating your opinion without any prior knowledge of how online games work?

asdf

asdf

I've played many games online. I prefer 3m turn games because I don't want games to drag on for days. Should my opponent not take his turn, I skip him. When I don't take my turn, my opponent skips me. That is fine. Either follow the turn time limit or don't play that match. Anyone who complains about turns being skipped is just plain dumb. What's the point of a time limit if there is no penalty for not following it?
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

but you haven't played a rated game yet...

asdf

asdf

I have played many rated games. Even if I haven't, that doesn't change the basic premise of following a time limit. If you don't want your turn skipped, then take your turn. Simple.
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

well i mean on your asdf account you haven't...

Sphink

Sphink

I think your missing what we are trying to say asdf... You keep saying the same thing over and over. We know what the rules are, and we know what happens when we don't follow those rules. What we (and by we I mean me) are trying to say is it sucks to have your turn skipped in the middle of a good game. And I've said before it is my fault for joining that game in the first place, but it still feels like I was "cheated" (and no it's not "cheating"). Yes if you don't move you deserve to have your turn skipped, I personaly never said otherwise (I don't see where nfong did either). It's a feeling, not literally cheating.

Again it is not cheating or cheap to skip someone when their time runs out, but it does "feel" cheap and I "feel" cheated when it happens in a good game. Maybe you should start a new thread (because we're obviously off topic on this one) "is skipping part of your strategy?". Maybe I'll go make one now.

Good luck, Have fun!

-Sphink
asdf

asdf

It's okay to have your opinion. In my opinion, it is not cheap in any way to skip someone. Doesn't matter if it's a good game or not. Just follow the rules. You already know the rules when you head into the game, so there is nothing cheap about it.

My game name is not asdf. I am rated 2400+, and I rarely skip. The vast majority of my opponents follow the rules, so skipping is not an issue.

I have played a few games where I was winning, but then got busy so I couldn't take my turns. I had my turns skipped and I lost. I didn't feel cheated in any way because it was my own fault that I didn't take my turns. My opponent had every right to skip me. Of course I was upset that I lost, but that's the rules. I didn't feel cheated in any way. I was upset with myself for not being diligent.

lol, skipping is not a strategy. It is part of the rules. If you want to start a stupid thread, that's up to you.

How about you lobby with the devs to remove skipping entirely? That way there is no point for a turn time limit. So it becomes infinite turns and you are just hoping for your opponent to take his turn.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 08, 2010 09:06

Sphink

Sphink

asdf wrote:

I have played a few games where I was winning, but then got busy so I couldn't take my turns. I had my turns skipped and I lost. I didn't feel cheated in any way because it was my own fault that I didn't take my turns. My opponent had every right to skip me. Of course I was upset that I lost, but that's the rules. I didn't feel cheated in any way. I was upset with myself for not being diligent.

lol, skipping is not a strategy. It is part of the rules. If you want to start a stupid thread, that's up to you.

How about you lobby with the devs to remove skipping entirely? That way there is no point for a turn time limit. So it becomes infinite turns and you are just hoping for your opponent to take his turn.

the first part is understandable. I see your side of the story clearly now, maybe in the future I'll have your outlook on games where that happens to me.

I assume you were being sarcastic about the second part. Because if you think I was even remotely suggesting that then you are not even paying attention to what I'm trying to say, but twisting my words to say what you want to hear.

Good luck, Have fun!

-Sphink
Forum Index » General Discussion