[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Single Helicopter Push - Dead Monk
Forum Index » Sapiens
Solitary

Solitary

As the strategy forums seem spammed with polls and completely useless general information I thought I'd post up a strategy I've been using very sucessfully against khrals on dead monk, although I'm sure it works on other maps. As blue sapiens you capture the grey base and then skip, so on round 2 you have 500 credits to open with a helicopter. As red sapiens you build a marine in the starting base and then do the same (this marine is important to combat wyrm cheese rush). On round 3 in both cases you will have a completed helicopter ready to move, on the upper base also for both red and blue sapiens.

As blue sapiens move the helicopter right two spaces (assuming you don't see garuda on the horizon already), this will allow you vision of both red bases and keep you out of range of garuda still on the starting base and any sneaky ones slightly forward will be unable to attack your helicopter without dying when you make one marine in each base. As red you can mirror this if you don't see anything coming into field of view, although it is important to move your marine forwards into the middle of the three forest tiles. This allows your heli to attack any underling you see jumping into the edge of your FOV as there's a fairly popular khralean trap to try and lure your helicopter into wyrm range (but the marine on the forest blocks this as then the wyrm gets beat down by the marine and heli if it chases).

Obviously you have to vary based on what you see but I've found in a lot of cases with this opening I can move straight into a hard push with nothing but marines and the single helicopter, using the helicopter to finish off weakened units and scare off infectors/wyrms. Occupy the central forested area and mountains where you can and definately don't try to force this strategy if you see two swarmers when you scout the bases, as you might find it a little painful xD. Two swarmers as well as being unusual is also not that strong if you just load up on helis as the khral won't be able to delay you for long enough to get anything which can fight the helicopters.

Okay, hopefully that's a talking point at least >.<.

ps. This can turn into a bit of a dogfight if khrals go after your initial helicopter with a garuda but you will come out of that fight ahead if it happens.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17, 2010 11:16

[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Mmh, I'm not totally convinced, but you are definitively right about controlling the middle forest part with marines.
I'll invite you to see how I fare with me as khral and you as saps, I'm not sure I will succeed though.

PS: Not to be mean but, could you post this into the "map specific strategy" of the "strategy" part of the forum? Well personally I don't think it's spammed but if you think it's that hard to find your thread then nevermind...

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
Solitary

Solitary

It's not exclusive to dead monk as a strategy but I've taken down a 1900 rank player with it and an 1800 xD. I had to make a few other units after the initial push but it was a single helicopter and then about 6-8 marines which gave me the decisive advantage!

EDIT: By spam in this section I mean it's mostly full of junk, nothing I read here was helpful in terms of picking up the game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19, 2010 02:51

Solitary

Solitary

I assume whatever the result of the second game you'd be agreeing with me that this strategy is dangerous :o.
Solitary

Solitary

To anyone following this thread, Nicko's first test against this strategy ended in complete disaster for the dark lord who was almost out of the game in 7 rounds after some careless play and went down completely in about 15 xD. Second game Nicko opened with two pinzers and I stopped making marines on round 3, so whatever the result of the game I think it would be safe to say that this strategy is worth considering as an option as the debate has now moved onto who is the better player :o.

Hope to hear some feedback on the first game from mr Nicko as well shortly \o/.
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

Well for me personally I never play krahleans against saps on dead monk...
Titans vs saps are probably the best match on that map...or titans vs titans.

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
Solitary

Solitary

Oddly enough a wyrm rush gives good chances for khrals on this map :o.
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

I think there are just too many forests for khrals to effectively play on this map. I did try pinzers and hold out longer but still, he was too fast for me to make a wyrm and do enough damage.
I'm saying it's impossible, it's just way too easy for saps to camp the forest tiles xD
And then titans vs saps is a laugh, as titans you just carefully build up and then the sap won't be able to do anything, I tried too.
This map is definitively unbalanced, if we are making up tournaments this one should be banned xD

EDIT: but how do you protect the wyrm? In two turns the heli is already all over the wyrm...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 05, 2010 10:28

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
Solitary

Solitary

I'm not sure that's correct Nicko. Recently I've been upping my kill ratio against titans on dead monk and finding that just massing batteries with a couple of tanks, a couple of marauders and some marines as a shield is actually proving very effective. The problem titans have is that battery is cheap and you'll have at least 2 batteries to their one walker, sometimes 3.

Titans move walker forward one, you move battery forward one and then suddenly they're trading punches only you have more seige so the killing blow will come from your side. Titans need to turtle up if you have two marauders and a few marines about because it's just too dangerous to let them near the walker and I don't know if it's just the people I'm playing but if you just use your space advantage and make the titans come to you then mass seige seems pretty strong. Titans always have the weakness of less units and I'm finding they just can't kill my weaker units fast enough while I smash their tanks up with 3+ batteries xD.
undeadslayer

undeadslayer

That's an interesting strategy, solitary.
Care to play me?
I've been playing unrated games for around 1 and a half months, and I think I'm ready for a few rated games xD

what's your rating?
Solitary

Solitary

I am currently 2183 but you can send me an invite if you like.
undeadslayer

undeadslayer

great!
which map do you like to play on?

EDIT: I guess I'll invite you to the bog...it looks like a fun map

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16, 2010 14:07

Solitary

Solitary

Well, this strategy is only for dead monk against khrals! I don't know what race you favour though but if you want to see it in action then send me an invite on dead monk as khrals xD. I got bored of posting up strategies after my second one because I've had a pretty indifferent response to most of them tbh .
Xenai

Xenai

What do you against a wyrm rush? First unit is a wyrm, then underling meatshield, garuda, infector to heal.
MasonC

MasonC

looks like the best strategy these days to use long rang shooters with a meat shield.
Forum Index » Sapiens