[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
"Network Error" when trying to end a turn - network is OK
Forum Index » Bug Reports
davidparks21

davidparks21

I've seen this in 4 games in the last 3ish days.

I end my turn and I get a network error.

I can go to other games in my list and they run fine. The network is fine (browser, etc works). But this one game constantly fails no matter how many times I try to end the turn.

In each case this has resolved its self after some number of hours (I've put it down and come back say 12 hours later and found that I can submit the end-of-turn).

I have this problem currently in 2 games. I'm hoping these two resolve themselves.

I'm able to play all other games just fine.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 10, 2010 20:56

davidparks21

davidparks21

Interestingly enough I was able to clear this problem with a re-install of uniwar. Lucky I went for that option I was just a few hours from missing my turn in those two games. Now I re-played the turns and was able to submit them successfully.
davidparks21

davidparks21

Ok, this one game is murder, here's what happened since the last post:

I had 2 games that I could not submit my turn in.

1) Reinstalled uniwar on my iPod touch (with latest OS)
2) accidentally submitted the turn without making my moves in failing-game #1 (forgot that it erases my moves when I re-install). It submitted successful.
3) played the moves in failing-game #2 and submitted the turn successfully.
4) continued to successfully play numerous other turns in other games.
5) I successfully play another turn in failing-game #2, it looks like that one's working again.
6) Next day - I try to play my next turn in failing-game #1 and I get the same, long delay, and a network error. I cannot submit my turn in this game AGAIN!
7) stomp around a little and wander off to update this post, cross my fingers that someone actually reads this stuff.

I am now going to re-install uniwar AGAIN and try failing-game #2 with my moves played. Will update after that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 10, 2010 20:30

davidparks21

davidparks21

Aha! Perhaps I have a smoking gun, or at least the scent of gun powder...

I just re-installed and re-played my turn in this game that won't submit.

It failed to submit again.

I re-installed again

I played only a minimal set of actions (I am winning by a large margin in that game so previously I had performed perhaps 30+ actions). This time I performed about 10 actions.

The game submitted successfully.

I guess it's death by a thousand papercuts for this guy, the game won't let me kill him too quickly. Perhaps the server has empathy for his plight. joking.

Anyway, do some testing on games with many many actions, it "feel like" that was a common thread between the games (though I didn't count actions to provide any empirical evidence) when/if I hit the problem again I'll start counting actions and post more.

Hopefully someone reads this. It's a pretty damning bug.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 10, 2010 20:53

davidparks21

davidparks21

Ok, just hit this problem with another game. Near it's conclusion. I now have 2 of 20 games that won't submit their turn. Am I the only person having this problem??

So I'm going to re-install again and count how many "actions" I take in each turn for each of these two games. I define an action as a movement of some unit along with whatever else it may do (attack, repair, etc)

Game #1 - 12 actions - failed to submit turn
Re-install
Game #1 - 9 actions - failed to submit turn
Re-install
Game #1 - 8 actions - failed to submit turn
Re-install
Game #1 - 6 actions - successfully submitted turn
Game #2 - 8 actions - successfully submitted turn (I must have been more efficient this go around than last)

10 other games all submitted turns successfully

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 12, 2010 06:46

davidparks21

davidparks21

Well, finished the other games finally, and today I hit this problem in a different game. As soon as I have too many pieces I end up with this problem. Pretty rough too because I really can't afford to "cut down" on my moves in this game. ::sigh::

Is anyone out there? This is really makes this game not fun to play. I can't hardly imagine others aren't experiencing this problem also.

Here's the breakdown this time:

Twice failed without counting actions
10 actions, failed to submit turn (I'm really hating this game at this point)
9 actions, failed to submit turn (note, there are 3 or 4 repairs that happen automatically, not sure if they affect anything)
8 actions, successfully submitted (but I didn't play a few units and opted not to buy anything new, quite a sacrifice just to complete the turn)

I'm playing on The Great Wall map
I am playing as Khraleans (vs titans)
I currently have 12 units on the map (would be 13 for the games that failed as I tried to purchase 1 more unit in each of those games but did not in the one that succeeded).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 14, 2010 10:24

davidparks21

davidparks21

Someone suggested posting screen shots, so here they are. I just ran into this in another game, Naval War map. 15 units on screen.

Here is some other info about my device: iPod Touch, 1st generation, Settings->General->About->Vers ion: 3.1.3 ( 7E18 ) Model: MB376LL

I'll help with some QA if someone from Uniwar is interested in dealing with this problem.

If not... well, I guess I'll just give up playing, it was an otherwise fun game, but not worth playing when 10% of the games force me to play hindered.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 15, 2010 03:37

[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Uuuuuuuh, do you have a high connection? Because sometimes it did that to me but only when my router was too far and with walls between for it to work properly.
Apart from that I see you have tried almost everything I would've suggested, except one. I wanna know if you chat in your games? Because delogging from your account and logging in again instantly kind of resets the cache for me. At least it resets a lot of things including chat, and before I did so it was slow as hell.
Maybe give it a go, you never know.

PS: Sorry if you got your hopes up but I'm not a developer of this game or anything. I'd say the best way to do so is to send a PM to the player named kralux on this forum for your problem. HE'S a dev and generally replies

Hope it turns out right for you

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
davidparks21

davidparks21

@Nicko, thanks. The connection is fine, browsing is fast and I can play all other games just fine, it's only with a game in particular that has too many moves in it. I can try and try to submit it, but it will always fail. I can then go play other games fine, and come back to that game and it will always fail. Play that game with fewer moves, and boom, it works! It's definitely not network related. Regarding chat, I've chatted a few times, twice to explain why I had to ask for peace (once rejected, meanie) and another time in a 3-person game just as part of the game. Chat didn't seem to have any affect that I could notice. The chat buffer gets wiped when you log out/in or re-install.

Unfortunately it appears no one from dev is listening, so I've wound down all but a couple of games and am no longer playing, sad, it was a great game, but this bug makes it unplayable. I had to quit two games (surrendered one and made peace on another). I also hit the bug on a number of other games in winding down the 20 I had going, and got by playing fewer moves without too bad a sacrifice.

If someone does decide to deal with this in the future I'm likely willing to help with the QA - I am a java developer, so can probably follow most debugging instructions. My contact email is: davidparks21@yahoo.com, or reply on this thread.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 17, 2010 21:19

[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

David, thank you very much for taking the time to describe your issue and offering your help for QA. I will discuss your issue internally and I will contact you directly via email during next week. Thank you for your patience so far.

The UniWar Team

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
jimhun

jimhun

The same happens with me many times and I had to give up (surrender) the game and losing points . The network is ok. Is there any chance to solve this problem?
Thanks
Forum Index » Bug Reports