[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Do you hate 1.3.0? Rant here.
Forum Index » General Discussion
Zerofalse

Zerofalse

I awoke this morning to a day off, my wife out of town, and with excitement i sat down for a long day of uniwarring. Unfortunately, what i found was less than i had hoped for. I wondered why all the rated games i started showed as unrated. After updating to 1.3 and logging back in i found, to my horror, that rated games can now only be RANDOM and can only be 24 HOURS in turn length. This was a major mistake by Uniwar dev imho. And is evidenced by the fact that the community chat has talked about nothing else all day. And by the fact that the Uniwar game has lost 1.5 stars on the app store since this morning.

If you too are outraged by the 1.3 update please let the dev's know, so hopefully we can get this game back to the way it was.
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

Haven't updated my game yet, but from what you're saying, the update does suck. First of all, I always play 3 day games, so now I have to log on more frequently than before.
And now I can't play rated games with friends, so that really sucks. If the devs wanted to prevent cheating, they can just check IP.

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
[Avatar]

[Avatar]

Yep, it's not a good update, frankly, and they should have focused on more important, preventable/ fixable things, like bugs. Because trying to fix cheaters is virtually impossible without taking drastic measures that would upset the majority of people, which is exactly the case here. They tried to fix something that everything will have- that's like coming to a conclusion in politics. Not gonna happen, there will always be people out there, so why not deal with it? Try banning them instead.

In any case, crying about it won't help, so back on the topic that has once arisen, WHY NOT JUST RESET THE LADDER?
Because there are people who have CHEATED (exactly what you are trying to prevent with the update) and in that manner made their way to the top of the ladder be in number 3 (not calling names, I promise, just an example) or 45 (Heheh).
So by resetting it, you give everyone a chance to start over fairly, and knock out the guys who cheated from their current ranks.

The end.

Yet nobody wins (But a decent ending).

I DO COCAAAIIINNNEEE!!1!11!1
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

Good call, 45, good call
Lol @ Uniwar's rating now.
I think the devs want Uniwar to be more like Starcraft or something...

[Avatar]

[Avatar]

Thanks nfong :3

Ahaha it's funny you mention Starcraft..............

I DO COCAAAIIINNNEEE!!1!11!1
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

Lol that was a quick reply. You play Starcraft, 45? :3
I just got SC2 a few weeks ago

Sphink

Sphink

Hmmm... Uniwar seems so different from when I took a break. I don't have the updates yet but from reading a few posts it looks like most people don't approve of them. as for the specific dislike of no costum rated games I propose this:

1) I like "45's" idea of resetting the ladder. I would think once or every other month would be ideal.
2) in the "open games" screen there will usally be a player or two with about 20 or so open games of the same map, there can be a few things done about this. (a) have a limit on the amount of open games a player can have at one time (3-5) or (b) have a "smart" ratings system that keeps track of the percentage of games you play on each map and and award more or less points accordingly.

Banning all custom games seems like a quick fix to stop everyone from complaining about how so-and-so is doing "this" and is cheating.

To the developers: perhaps a section in the forums could be dedicated to future updates where instead of us tellingyou what we think you should do, you tell us what your thinking about doing.

I know alot of negitive comments will be posted and people will give you totaly off the wall ideas which don't even relate to the update. But it might get the creative juices flowing and might help you think of something compleatly different.

Maybe you could have avoided releasing an update that hurts more people then it helped by banning custom games. Idk I'm just thinking out loud.

Good luck, Have fun!

My biased opinions are open-minded.
-Sphink
guruguru

guruguru

This update is AWFUL.

First, finding a random game is a pain in the butt. It can take way, way too long. If you could figure out how to do it like Words With Friends does it, where you start a game and then find an opponent randomly later (who might not even be logged on yet), then maybe. But it can take 5 minutes to find one person to play against especially in off hours.

Again, if you're going to continue with this system, you need to match the match-up progress much quicker.

Second- why do maps have to be randomized? I don't care what anyone says, there are a lot of maps that aren't balanced. And there's just a lot of maps that also aren't that fun. I can't stand to ever play on Thermopylae again and I'm getting there with Rubicon. I have zero interest in Laguna or Gold Rush. I detest Great Wall and Scramble and Too Close because it's the same damn game on those maps every time. There are a lot of maps I DO like, but I don't want to have to keep deleting random games until one I want to play comes up. That's not fair to me or my opponents.

I'm not playing this game again until this new feature is reworked. This update was a horrible idea, and you really should have consulted the community before doing something this radical.
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

I totally agree with you, guru. Randomized maps is a horrible idea.
This App Store review basically says it all:

"Crappy update - don't buy

by revengeofpodus

This game reflects the way most people want society to be organized.

You used to be able to play who you wanted, on which level you wanted, and how long the game would be. You had the "freedom" to play how you wanted ( how unfair right!) . Now you play as your told to play. No choices.

You cannot control who you play against online - that is assigned to you by the system

You cannot control what game map you get to play on Online- that is assigned to you by the system

You cannot control how long that game will last online- that is assigned to you by the system.

The new update removes those choices from you and now you only may play as assigned. I'm sure at some point you will be assigned which apps u must buy. Perhaps that's in the next update.

Its a game and I want to play it the way I choose. What's next ?real jail time for putting money in the middle when u land on free parking?"

S phink, are you coming back to Uniwar?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23, 2010 16:28

MasonC

MasonC

My Christmas has been ruined before it even started .
Sphink

Sphink

Just got back from playing (if you want to call messing around in the menus and chat playing the game) and after failing to find a rated game to play, I came up with a few improvements to your new rated game system.

It shouldn't be totaly random, you should have a few options/filters you should be able to choose from.
Example: you should be able to "thumbs down" 3-4 maps of your choice and not get random'd into that map.
Example: ratings filters options should be "less then" or "greater then" 1500, 1600, 1700... 2100, ect..

Also the matching system should be updated because when I hit the random game button it matched me with the same person over and over (I assume it would have done it as many times as I hit the button). This should be fixed. I have a rule that I don't play more then 1 rated game at a time per person. I don't want to play the same person in 10 games.

I don't know if its because of this update that nobody is playing or thatmy score is higher then most that I'm not getting matched to them or what, but as of right now I'm finding it extremely difficult to find a rated game.

Good luck, Have fun!

-Sphink
Sphink

Sphink

@nfong: idk I have a low attention span. I might move on to something else tomarrow or I may play uniwar regularly... There may be a renewed intrest with the recent updates and nerfs/buffs. But that is, if I can find a game before I get bored

Good luck, Have fun!

-Sphink
revofpodus

revofpodus

Mods :

I can't play this game after is update.. I try to play a rated game I keep getting assigned to m-27 but he's offline and has been all day. S what's the point of updating the game so I can't play it. I used to play any rank when i wanted to play.

I also don't like playing only 1 day games. Why cant I play a 3 min game? I liked having several 3-min games going at once. Like speed chess against multiple players. But now I'm stuck to somthing that takes day and days to finish

The average player jut walks away from the game when their losing. So that means the third ship would take 3 days. Do you really want thousands of abandoned games running on your servers for days and days on end. I cant resign I lose points for I have to wait to remove the player.

Finally what's the point. It's a game on a phone. Do you really have some warped sense of fairness that forcing people to play your way makes it better. If your worried about the rankings, make them degrade as the player sits idle. Something

But as of today the game doesn't function, I cant play it because m-27 isn't online, how does that make it "more fair" for me? It's your move. You made the game unplayable, so this game has no point to exsist.

mogrog

mogrog

Here's how I see ratings... Ratings are for finding a decent match with another player. You get a general sense of their skill so you know if they're a noob or an expert. If they're 2100, you know you have to be on your toes. If they're 1500, you know they just bought the game. Etc. It's not perfect or exact but it's a good way to get a general sense of another player's skill.

So some people cheat. So what? If they have an artificially high score but still can't play, then they'll get their ass kicked in a "real game." If their rating is undeserved then it's painfully obvious to figure that out, anyway.

As for the ladder... Yeah, some people cheated to top it. So what? Does anyone really, truly care about being first place on a website that maybe 100 people visit, none of whom you know besides as a silly nickname? Get rid of the ladder and the cheaters won't have incentive to try and top it, and the rest of us can use rankings as a way of gauging our opponents.

Or reset it and make it a monthly ladder, or whatever, for those who do care. But I bet a lot fewer people care about the ladder itself than you think. I bet many of the problems with cheaters would be solved if it was just scrapped entirely.

Please bring back things the way they were before the update. This update was only for the purpose of making the ladder fair, but it's going to make the ranking system worthless as people abandon the game or play unrated instead. I know I'm only playing unrated games now, as I want to play the maps and races I want and I can't stand the messed up random pairing. You really had one of the best multiplayer match up processes in any iphone game and this update screws that up.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 23, 2010 18:55

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

this game is crap now...
Forum Index » General Discussion