[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: Orion3T
Forum Index Profile for Orion3T »» Messages posted by Orion3T
Sapiens » Marines: Underated? » Go to message
Marines are Saps best Anti-Air unit IMO. Other than a well-defended batter of course. Helis are good but quite expensive and very slow to repair. I'd take 5 marines vs a heli any day provided they can get good terrain.

Mechas are not so good on forested maps as their move is much slower. Marines get 2 forest spaces mecha only 1. So not so able to gang up on aeriel units but still decent on good terrain and especially on mountains. Of course slightly better in defense due to +1 defense.

Really the terrain, and therefore which map you are on, is key. If it were all desert and plains marines are pretty weak. On forests/mountains marines are great. Also depends how many bases you have of course - ultimately if you can only make 1 unit per round marines aren't gonna cut it on most maps.

That said I wouldn't say they are underrated by good players, and bad players are just as likely to overrate them especially on weak terrain. This goes for all units of course - they are all good in the right circumstances. Except for tanks. Tanks suck. If I make a tank it's generally because I can't afford anything better but must build something for defense, or because a titans opponent decided to spam eclipses.

EDIT: Or possibly on maps with lots of desert where tanks faster move is handy against PTs, provided they don't just kill them in 1 turn. Which is still likely.
General Discussion » Skipping and other etiquette questions » Go to message
Oh and on 1v1 with longer time limits skipping someone who was previously taking their turns in good time I would also seriously frown on. Anyone can have a busy day or 2 and if they have 20 close matches on the go and everyone skipped them, on higher level games a single skipped turn can be decisive. Resulting in many undeserved losses just because they couldn't play for a day.

I had several players do this to me recently when I was only a few hours late taking my turn and it resulting in at least half a dozen losses which until then were closely contested matches. I think I lost about 150 points just due to this as some of the players were rated considerably lower. This was the final straw for me on 1v1, which I was getting tired of anyway, so I gave up on that account.

So yeah... just try to be fair and sportsmanlike about it would be my advice.
General Discussion » Skipping and other etiquette questions » Go to message
On the 3 minute games I agree with you - you don't really have much choice but to skip for exactly the reason you said. Unless it's someone you know and trust not to skip you back of course.

Personally I don't play 3m games because it's just not enough time to take a turn once you take into account lags between turns etc. Even if you do see it right away it's not much time on a busy map.

As for surrenderring - on a 1v1 I think it's OK to surrended whenever you wish. Your opponent gets the win. Only arguable time might be within the first 3 turns if it's purely because you made a mistake. After that few opponents would prefer you to drag things out rather than say 'gg' and surrender. In fact it can be quite frustrating to have someone drag a game out when they have clearly lost but it's just taking some time to 'mobilise' and finish them off.

In a team match surrendering without agreeing it with your team would be really bad. Don't do that.

On a multiplayer FFA I would also never surrender as it can adversely affect the other players strategies and screw someone over. Besides which even if things look really bad for youthere's a chance the stronger sides will start going for someone else and you can hold out for a better final place if they end up knocking someone else out before you. Damage limitation in other words. On FFA every place counts!

Enjoy.
General Discussion » New player. Do people still play this? » Go to message
2000-2300 is a pretty wide range man

Yeah - my 1v1 acct is about 2250 trending upwards and my team acct has stagnated somewhere between 2030-2100. I think it's partly due to general fluctuations and partly due to to different types of game.

If you play a lot of games then several bad games can produce quite a sudden change.

My ratings tend to go down if I make a few consecutive moves whilst drunk too.

And I know there's an edit button thanks. It was just easier to add a comment as it was a kinda seperate point I didn't want to lose among my ramblings.
General Discussion » Stop Cheaters » Go to message
I guess he's suggesting that by playing large FFAs he can get probably 7 points per game no matter how low rating the 'spoof' accounts have. I don't know that this works, but I am pretty sure you always get 1 point no matter who you beat.

That said I think manipulating all those accounts would be a very tiresome way to cheat just for the sake of a few points on a handheld game, and I'd expect any dev glancing at IPs would be rather unimpressed by that many accounts. I know I would be.
P.S. If you do want someone to give you some lessons (and I'm assuming you did the campaigns as that's the best place to start) feel free to invite me to 1v1 friendly or 2 on whatever maps you like. I'm rated somewhere between 2000-2300, so I'm decent, but far from pro.
Hi and welcome!

There's lots of pleople playing but I agree that you shouldn't expect to make friends too quickly when starting out. Lots of players around the 1400-1600 mark just stop playing, presumably decided this game's not for them.

Your best bet is to turn on Random games and just keep playing. Your rating will settle down to indicate your 'true' level (which itself should gradually improve) and by the time you get to 1700 or so you will probably have made friends with some reliable players through the random matches. If you have some good games then ask them to play team matches with you - you know you are about the same level and you will know you are both reliable as you completed several matches between you.

For this to happen of course you need to make attempts at chat occasionally even if it's 'gg - I think I went wrong when I did X what do you think?' and so on. Some will ignore you and others will chat back. Just remember to give them chance by not surrendering and deleting the game before they do!

I love FFA matches but they are such different playstyle I keep them on a seperate account only. It's very easy to play well and get beaten by 2 weak but aggressive players, or to win purely because someone else resigned or gave you an easy win. So FFA are great fun but not a good place to learn how to play well.

Just keep playing though, and you'll make friends. There's lots of good folks playing the game.
Guides & Tips » Uniwar Hack Revealed! - 2 week notice » Go to message
  Nicko wrote: Hrm I mistook the wyrm for the support units, artillery does have defense although a low one.

No need to correct or prove yourself, just tested it and I have the same results, sorry I don't even know why I wrote that. Well could you give us his name so that we don't play with him? Or did you put him up on the "unstrustworthy uniwarrior" list??

Again sorry for doubting you, I am wrong and you were right!

Hey no worries - quite right to question, I'd rather find out I am wrong than continue believeing I am right when I'm not. If you got the impression I didn't like your comment then blame it entirely on the limitations of text communication combined with my writing skills.

The player's name is in the above post and on the untrustworthy thread already - but the more players who know the better, so to save you the bother of looking it up the player was 'shadowking'.

As an aside I haven't heard back from Kralux yet - what's the best way to report this sort of thing, anyone know?
  Nicko wrote: Hum, a 7 pinzer doing 8 damage to a wyrm with 0 DEFENSE seems higly probable... I don't see how's that cheating at all
Then if it was a garuda or a plasma tank then I would agree...

OK Nicko feel free to test it by starting an offline vs match and playing both sides yourself. I did exactly this and despite trying about 30 times the Pinzer never hit for more than 6. Never 7 and definitely never 8. My 99% certainty before doing the test was thus increased to 99.9% certainty.

I have never seen any unit deal more damage than its current HP except this one case with the hacker. I'm 99.9% certain it's not legitimately possible.

The most extreme way to test this is to get an engineeer/infector/assimilator , dump it on a swamp and hit it with a damaged helicopter or battery. Despite having 12 attack against -2 defense (+14 difference which is massive) I bet they will still only hit for their current HP. Now take into account that the Pinzer was on a swamp and the Wyrm has 1 defense even on forest, and it's even less possible in the situation I posted with shadowking.

But if I'm wrong please let me know and I will consider myself to have been educated.
New Feature Request » Starting games on 'next game' » Go to message
Please when we choose 'Next Game' could it not automatically start a new game? This doesn't give us chance to kick players who ignored rating limits etc.

For example I had games titled '1800 up' and players <1500 joined, but because I used 'next game' it just started the game which meant we had to surrender and start all over again.

Ideally it would take us to the game screen so we have chance to review the game and kick players before we start, but simply ignoring all 'ready' games would be a viable alternative.

Thanks.
Bug Reports » Eclipse Not Given Option to Fire » Go to message
Yeah you have to have visibility at the start of that unit's move. It's the same for all ranged units.
  malachi wrote: The problem here is that since the developers have been unresponsive in the past, players think they have to go to extreme measures to get them to act. It is much better for the community for a hacker to go public and simultaneously force the developers to take notice while warning players of what to look out for. Keeping it secret would delay the fix, and allow others to keep cheating.

You can warn players exactly what to look out for without telling everyone how to do the hack.

A more appropriate 'extreme measure' is to put pressure on the developers by threatening to give bad reviews and make those considering buying the game aware that it is hacked i.e. plain old bad publicity. This would not further increase cheating and would probably provide a greater incentive to developers to get it fixed so it no longer discourages new players. Spreading the exploit further only affects those who already paid for the game.

I am saying this having just been cheated on by a player who seemed to think a 7 Pinzer can hit a Wyrm for 8 damage, among other things. I don't care what terrain it was on (in this case swamp!) - that is not possible. I have screenshots as proof and have reported it directly to the team. I hope to hear back from them shortly.
General Discussion » Ranking Poll: Separate Ranking for 1 vs. 1 and Team matches? » Go to message
I don't think I voted before I viewed results on this, but I think 3 seperate rankings would definitely be best - quite different tactics are required for each type of game so it would be nice, for example, not to have your losses on random 1v1s reflected in team games where you might have strong teamwork.

Similarly 1vAny games are a different beast altogether, considerable luck and often a lot of politics on those games I have noticed.

As for players beating on Bots etc - each game type has a different way to build your ranking in ways which are probably dubious at best. This is not including blatant hacks which are a different beast altogether. This wouldn't make that any worse but it would probably make it require more efort to get comparable rankings in all 3 game types.
Khraleans » Plague bombing » Go to message
That's a great idea - gonna suggest we try it in our current team game where an ally just accidentally infected a marine I sent to help him.
General Discussion » Greetings... » Go to message
Hi there.

I have found these forums in general to be fairly quiet so that's probably the main reason nobody responded. Personally I didn't even notice your post but then I only have a quick look on here occasionally.

As for in-game Uniwar players seem to range from 'very friendly' through 'somewhat aloof' all the way to 'downright rude'. Which isn't that unusual in my online gaming experience. Thankfully the latter group is a minority and tend to come out in open FFA games where they get exceedingly mouthy when they start winning.

Best thing to do is try and make a few solid friends and play with them in friendlies against each other or form a regular team and try to invite opponents of a similar level. That's what happened to me. I still join some other random and FFA games but my hopes are never high for finding gracious opponents.
Forum Index Profile for Orion3T »» Messages posted by Orion3T