[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: 5200
Forum Index Profile for 5200 »» Messages posted by 5200
New Feature Request » Team match problem with new rules » Go to message
I hate "skip turns." It sounded like a pretty good idea but it's harmed the game more than it's helped.

It makes it so you have to wait 3x as long to kick someone who drops out because they're losing. That, or surrender yourself. This happens A LOT.

Plus the multiplayer problem as described here.

This is a cheap game with a lot of people who sign up to look around and disappear. The regular players need a way to quickly clear out the riff-raff who start games they don't intend to play, or who play a day or two and then lose interest.

It would be one thing if you automatically lost if you were over the time limit but you're not. In short games your opponent is under no obligation to kick you when the time runs out, so if it's a game between respectable players the time limit doesn't really matter.

I hope you guys consider changing it back and soon. At least make "kick" and "skip" the choice of the player who's actually playing, and not force them to clean up the mess of the guy who may or may not be coming back.
General Discussion » What to do if teammates are playing terribly » Go to message
The Uniwar team isn't going to do anything. I doubt they'd ban anyone unless they found a way to hack the server or something. Besides it's your words against the players you suspect and it's pretty tough to prove that they're intentionally throwing the game (and if they are, I don't know of any actual rule they're breaking.)

This is a common problem in every multiplayer game, including online gambling rooms where they have a vested interest in shutting this kind of thing down, as well as games like WOW where people team up to ninja loot etc., and it's really tough to detect and prove.

I'd just surrender and walk away, and remember their names so you don't play them again. You'll have to eat the ratings loss but who cares? It's ridiculously easy to inflate your rating (look at all the people at the top of the board with 150+ wins and less than 10 losses; you don't get that without using some sort of exploit.) It really doesn't mean anything and I'd just concentrate on playing for the fun of the actual game.

Play unrated 8-way games, you might have better luck finding people who just want a good game. Or try to set up games here on the forums and do it through invites so you're more likely to get quality players. Just my opinion, as someone who's seen it all (and a lot worse) in multiplayer games through the years.
General Discussion » Skip Turns » Go to message
I like this feature and think it's a great addition.

However...

Whe n your opponent gives up on his game, it's now effectively tripled the time before you can "kick" them. Effectively a 1 day game is now a 3 day game, and a 3 day game now takes 9 to kick them (right? or am I missing something?)

So you basically have to wait it out, or surrender and let them win. Not a big deal if they joined a game and never started since no ranking points are lost. Kind of a big deal if they're losing and disappear, which is pretty common.

Or am I misreading something? I'd like to still have the option to "kick player" and make "skip turn" an option to be used when you're feeling generous.
General Discussion » Where is the new update? » Go to message
I reinstalled the game and got the update. Is there a list of changes? I thought some of the maps were supposed to be updated, like Montevideo.
General Discussion » maximum online games » Go to message
The problem is when you don't have a ground of friends to play with (online or real.) If you're going against strangers the dropout ratio is really, really high so to get 6-10 games in rotation that play through to a satisfying conclusion you need to start or join two or three times as many. It gets better when you're higher ranked of course and when you make some friends but the solution shouldn't be to only play against people you know (how do you get to know them or new people if you don't play a lot of others for the first time?)

Of course 10 minute games are an option, and 1 hour too, but I can only play on breaks so I often have to disappear for a few hours. I have one account for each race plus another for random games. They're all generally full and out of those 60-80(!) games I'm happy when I have a handful that actually work out.

New Feature Request » Make Helicopters cost 550 points instead of 500 » Go to message
Yeah, I have to say I really can't figure out why the titans haven't figured out how to make one of their units fly.

Maybe if the Mechas got jetpacks? Give them the same mobility they have now, but let them move wherever unhindered? Just a thought.
New Feature Request » Add remaining time from this turn to next turn option » Go to message
If you're playing a 1 hr game and need to take time off, you can always open chat and actually tell the other person that you need a break and you'll be back, and ask them not to kick you.

I've done it quite a few times and others have done it with me. If they're decent people they'll say "OK". If they're not willing to do that then they're probably not someone I'd want to play against anyway.
New Feature Request » [Poll] Adding Option to Lock the Screen Orientation. » Go to message
Yeah, this poll is kind of rigged honestly. I vote yes that we should have this feature, but you make it sound like doing so means you won't have time to deal with other features.

Is it really either-or? Because in reality there are other features and bug fixes that need to be addressed ASAP involving fairness and ease of use, and not doing so will only turn people off from playing the game... And in the end that's your problem and not ours. On the other hand the screen lock would be a nice thing to have.
Titans » Fighting buried underlings » Go to message
Underlings are only a threat if you make yourself too vulnerable. Against walkers they're deadly, against plasma tanks not so much.

I do think they should lose 1 point per round for every time they're under a heavy unit. I have the feeling that's how it's supposed to work now but in practice they each only seem to lose 1 point once and then never again. That would be one way of weakening them.
Sapiens » vs. Plasma tanks » Go to message
EMP is fine, though I think plague and UV should be upped a notch to compensate. Both of those are relatively useless compared to being able to paralyze and opponent completely for a round.
New Feature Request » More Random Games suggestions » Go to message
Some of these are covered elsewhere, I know, but this is what I think they need and soon.

1. Don't make the default 3 days. An hour would be better, but even 12 hours would be fine. Random games are much more likely to be dropped in the middle than others, especially by anonymous types, and then you're stuck with it for 72 hours before you can kick them.

Obviously the more customization allowed the better (being able to block races or maps, time limits, ratings) but at the very least the default time needs to be shortened.

2. Make it so when you select "join random game" twice or more you don't get the same person. Right now you do, and often get the same map. If there's anyone else available you should go to them instead.

3. When you've been assigned a random game have the immediate option to "deny." Don't make it so you have to start the game and surrender. Both parties should have to approve the match-up, really, especially since there are so many well known exploits (I'm not playing land bridge against titans no matter what, for example.)

4. Make it so you can block a player. If someone's abusive or just a jerk then I'd like to never have to be hooked up with them again.

Thanks.
New Feature Request » Need to have some way to decline game invitations » Go to message
Yeah we need this. Right now you can surrender before making a move (with no loss of rating) but that's a pain.
General Discussion » Forcing ads on us » Go to message
It's not that big a deal if it happens once, but it's one of those things where I think something should be said, because I'd hate to see it become common practice in all my games and apps.

Meant to post that logged in since it's obvious who that was
I love Uniwar and Javagrounds seems like a good company overall, but I am not a fan at all of being forced out of a game I've launched, into Safari, and then into the app store to see an ad for another one of your games.

Not that big a deal I guess, but still, this isn't too common of a practice and for good reason. It's annoying.
Forum Index Profile for 5200 »» Messages posted by 5200