[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: dougman4
Forum Index Profile for dougman4 »» Messages posted by dougman4
General Discussion » Dougman4's Unit Value and Other Game Improvement Suggestions » Go to message
SUMMARY: Overall, I think I agree with about 25% of the modifications and disagree with 25%. The remaining 50% I think are situationally good or bad. Having the possibility for this 50% to be bad suggests to me that it is not a net improvement and shouldn't be done (at least not to the degree indicated).

SECTION 1: But before I go into the details for my rationale, I want to point out that I think we are addressing the wrong thing. We want balanced play. In my mind, this only can be done by giving map makers greater tools. We need:

- To be able to customize quantity and type of starting units by player position. If I think a player is at a disadvantage, let me create more starting forces for him, of whatever quantity and type I feel balances the map. That even lets me design great "defend the castle" type games that we don't really have yet.

- To be able to customize starting money by player position. If I think players 4 and 7 need more money because of gang ups, let me give them more money then the rest. However much I want, and to whomever I wish.

- To be able to customize unit attack/defense/mobility values of each unit. Being able to customize all unit statistics is the holy grail. It lets a mapmaker account for terrain advantages/disadvantages to a particular race in a particular map. It instantly lets Uniwar to be forever interesting, since endless "new" units can be created for new game play experiences. Why are we being pitted against each other arguing for particular global unit values? Set us free, give us the freedom to play how we wish!

With these three changes, every map can be a balanced map. I would also like to float the idea of an automated system where the game server tracks wins and losses and adds units or starting money to whatever races/positions seem to be at a disadvantage on a given map.
General Discussion » Desktop Online Map Making » Go to message
Please give us the ability to create maps from our desktops/laptops using a web browser. It find it extremely frustrating to do so on my phone, and it still frustrating on my iPad even though a bit easier.
General Discussion » Uniwar clans? » Go to message
Closest to a clan we have is runiwar.com which is mostly Russian players. But, you could reach out to Talone about joining.
General Discussion » A few things... » Go to message
Hey, with the new iOS update I can see the championship ladder - thanks!
An addition comment. I run the iOS version and only the solo ladder is visible. There is no way to view the championship ladder. It stays greyed out as a selection choice.
Tournaments » Sky Watch 3vs3: Need a Slot! » Go to message
Missed a slot, would like to be first on the wait list or perhaps you could open up more slots.

Thanks,

Team "FeelThree"
Invul/Pretty Imp/Dougman4
Kudos to the developers with the iOS version update. Indeed, many of my concerns and suggestions have been answered. In particular, I think these features especially helpful:

- Battle forecast (showing exact kill/loss info for multiple units at once)
- Pinch to zoom map (works fantastically)
- Reformatted layout of war report (separating players by team) and info screen is nice
- Being able to view leaderboard and sign up for tournaments is nice

Wish list:
- PLEASE ENLARGE THE CHAT TEXT INPUT BOX, IT IS DIFFICULT TO VIEW AND EDIT WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN BEFORE SENDING!
- Be nice to see kill info by team member in team games (though having a team total is very nice and the most important thing)
- There are still some actions you can't undo, like helicopter move after attack (if you try to undo it drops you in your original location)
- Units colors are still too similar. I've screen shots of large battles and I defy anyone to easily pick out red vs orange khrals. Orange sapiens looks to be the same color as red khrals. Why are units a solid color just for certain races? Black sapiens are solid black, but black is actually a weird mix including dark green for titans/khrals. I can understand the desire to add detail, but a solid color for all units is HIGHLY desirable for me. Having multi-tone unit colors that combine different player colors (black/green, orange/red) is a poor design choice.
- Please add more common slang to the icon lookup in chat. For example, instead of just marauder, add "jeep" to reference the marauder icon. There are a couple dozen common shorthand terms that could be also used.
- The text crawl at the top of the screen in game is driving me absolutely crazy. Please get rid of the crawl and develop a concise phrase that fits without crawling. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO KEEP SPENDING MY LIFE WAITING TO FIND OUT JEEP ACTIONS REMAINING! Or, maybe you could insert a temporary 1 or 2 (for moves remaining) onto the marauder icons during a players move.
- Stop the vibrate every time I open the app.

Question:
- What does it mean to agree to peace in a tournament game? Is it really a draw? Or does the system automatically calculate bases owned or unit value killed and declare a winner anyway? By mid game, it would be more likely than not for one person to be ahead if only by a few units killed. And, if one player is slightly down and agrees to a draw I don't know if that player automatically loses or really draws.
New Feature Request » iOS App Bugs and Game Improvement Ideas » Go to message
7. I know many times a week I have to quit a composed message just because I'm terrified it could possibly be public when I intend for team. It is easily preventable if I could just see a header confirming it was public or team. Of course, there will still be mistakes but this would improve my experience a lot. That is such a small fix, you really ought to do it.

11. If you thought the chat text crashes should have be fixed some time ago, I can assure you I've been getting them routinely until present. I don't get the crash all the time, one every couple days maybe. And occasionally, maybe a couple in a day.

Let me add a new request:

12: On the in game chat compose window, please have the area for inputting chat text start further below the header. When I edit chat text on the first line, my iPhone FAR TOO OFTEN sends or cancels the text before I actually want to. That's because, the first line of text is right next to the SEND or CANCEL buttons. Since texts are limited in size, there is no reason to have such a large area to input text in anyway. Have a smaller area for text input centered in the middle of the screen. Thanks!

Question: Back a while, the plan was to reset ratings to a certain level (say above 2500 back down to 2500). Over the last few months, I've been playing risky games for fun knowing my rating was going to be reset anyway. But, I've never seen the rating reset. Is it finally coming, and to what level?
New Feature Request » iOS App Bugs and Game Improvement Ideas » Go to message
I'm having these issues with the iOS version of the game.

1. Get rid of the information text crawl at the top of screen in game. Use abbreviations if you must, but get it all on one line that doesn't crawl. To have to sit and wait to see how many moves marauders have is painful beyond measure.

2. When I exit out of an in progress game, the messages indicator resets as though I have new messages even though I have already read them.

3. Unit colors are too close in hue to each other. Difficult to differentiate green and black (why is black green?) and orange and red. This is at its worst with Khral units, when you have a screen full of green/black and orange/red units it is impossible to distinguish between them. Stop making units two toned, make black just black!

4. Certain actions can't be undone, like bury/unbury, when most other actions allow you to. All actions should be able to be undone.

5. The hex size on the iPhone 6+ is too small. Man sized fingers can not accurately select a hex. For some reason, the hex size was dramatically reduced in the last Uniwar iOS update.

6. Please allow in game text. It is difficult to arrange games, especially team games, without it. You frequently would like to agree beforehand to certain things, and without text that becomes difficult or impossible.

7. People routinely send private chat texts in error to the public chat in game. This causes embarrassment and revealed strategy. There should be a header at the top of the screen that identifies "Public Chat" or "Private/Team Chat". The only way while composing a message to know for sure if it is being sent to public or team chat is to delete it, and start over again.

8. I think you should be able to accept a rated game with the condition of it being mirrored. As it stands, there is no way to communicate in game beforehand that you will join someone's rated game but expect to be able to play the reverse too (to offset race or turn order advantage). Please create a mechanism where this can happen.

9. The damage forecast dots are impossible to see (especially now that the iPhone 6+ hexes are so small). I'd prefer little numbers instead. It would also be cool for a unit to turn color (maybe flash red or grey) if the forecast is for it to die.

10. Build in the damage calculator into the game, those running Android have access to one and us iOS players do not. Barring that, build it into the Uniwar website so I could look it up.

11. While composing in game chat texts, the game crashes frequently and has to be restarted.
What's New in the Latest Updates » Rank Reform - Part 4 » Go to message
This comes as a relief. Gives me the option to play how I want to, ...except perhaps how most important to me. Most experienced players I chat with prefer team play. Is there to be no way to have rated custom team games independent of assigned teammates? I understand and am ok with stripping team points from solo play points, but why not have a similar team play rating where you can have your choice of teammates and play custom games. I mean, I'd like to be able to search rated and unrated team games being formed and join 4, 6 or 8 player games in the works with assorted players as I can now.

Are you still planning to wipe/reduce current ratings? If so, to what level?

I don't know if it has been brought up before, but in addition to certain maps having race advantages - certain maps have advantages with turn order. I know of rated maps where it is impossible to win against another good team if not in a certain turn order. I'm not sure what I think of voting for maps to be rated, I tend to be a nice guy and overwhelmingly vote yes. Maybe I should be more strict, or maybe there should be additional criteria for maps to be chosen as rated.
What's New in the Latest Updates » Rank Reform - Part 2 & 3 » Go to message
Ladders: Stop using the term "Ladders" already! ELO Ratings have nothing to do with LADDERS. A ladder is completely independent of a rating, and is simply the current rank of a player globally. If you are 130 globally, in a ladder you would challenge 129 and be challenged by 131 and swap positions based on outcome. Nothing we are talking about resembles a ladder!!

ELO System: You can't have a higher ranked player lose ELO points to a lower ranked player if they merely split their two games (including mirrored) because the race advantage may be the driving force in the outcome. You should instead have a tiebreaker check of units VALUE killed (not quantity) or number of turns to victory to determine whether the lower rated player outplayed the higher rated player to decide if ELO points should be awarded.

Team Play: I don't like having to be tied to particular players for team play. My partner may quit playing, or I may have a falling out, or I may think it fun to play with a variety of players. That only gets more likely with 3 or 4 player teams. So, I think team rating should be independent of teammates as it is now.

Multiple Ratings: I am for having as many separate rating systems as possible, and let us play how we wish. US Chess maintains 3 separate ELO ratings for each player, for example. I think the current rating system should be preserved for those who wish to play in it. I think not allowing the current system to continue as a separate rating is a big mistake, creating a forced nanny state I feel is antithetical to this game. If the game had originally begun with the proposed random system, we would all be universally clamoring for the freedom of custom single/team rated games. Why on earth would we want to kill what is already in place and preferred by many?

Ratings reset: Resetting ratings is not a big deal to me. Are the historical high rankings for each player going to be wiped or preserved? A bit of a shame if not and if previous players are to be completely forgotten.

Random games: Anyone who is experienced knows that the map and races all too frequently make all the difference in random games, so not having forced mirror games will ABSOLUTELY mask true talent level and make the ratings artificial. Since I thought fairness was the whole reason this new system is being forced on us - I can't see how anything other than forced mirror games is suitable.

Solution: I think a forced rated random game with mirror should happen once or twice a month. And, I think the UNIWAR community should jointly preselect a single map that everyone plays on during that particular random game timeframe. So, if it is to be monthly, 12 random maps would be selected during the year with everyone playing on the same map on that month. This solves the problem of unfair maps, as fairer maps can be chosen. And, it solves the problem of some players benefiting from easier maps than others. It normalizes some of the problems associated with random play, and focuses the randomness as being the opponent selected and race if you didn't have a preference.

FFA: If FFA is short for free for all and means a multiplayer non-team game, then I am completely, absolutely, 1000% against allowing FFA to ever be rated. FFA is a complete and utter joke, simply a trivial pass time and nothing more.
General Discussion » What's the news? » Go to message
I've played quite a bit of random, and find the map/race combination makes difference in a significant portion of cases. Boy, that would be lots of work for me to go and catalog the maps where this happens. I believe it would be easier and fairer if a new single map was selected each week where the random games occur for that week. That way, developers can vet the map before play and everyone is subject to the same map dynamics during that week.
Tournaments » The Beach Wars: rounds and statistics » Go to message
1. elroyomj (black sapiens) - dougman4 (red titans) dougman4 win with 13 rounds
2. dougman4 (black sapiens) - elroyomj (red titans) dougman4 win with 15 rounds

3. elroyomj (black sapiens) - dougman4 (red sapiens) dougman4 win with 13 rounds
4. dougman4 (black sapiens) - elroyomj (red sapiens) dougman4 win with 14 rounds
General Discussion » What's the news? » Go to message
Has a new rating system been decided upon? If so, what are the details and when will it be implemented?

And, when is the team tournament going to start?
Tournaments » The Beach Wars: rounds and statistics » Go to message
1. dougman4 (black sapiens) - ketr (red titans) dougman4 win with 12 rounds
2. ketr (black sapiens) - dougman4 (red titans) dougman4 win with 11 rounds

3. dougman4 (black sapiens) - ketr (red sapiens) dougman4 win with 13 rounds
4. ketr (black sapiens) - dougman4 (red sapiens) dougman4 win with 13 rounds
Forum Index Profile for dougman4 »» Messages posted by dougman4