[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: boourns
Forum Index Profile for boourns »» Messages posted by boourns
General Discussion » What idiot created new scoring system » Go to message
If they redid the scoring system than all that means is the average score and what is currently considered good may go down, and there will be an adjustment period. Basically, many will undergo a "correction" in their score and settle in at a lower score. But if you don't care about score and just want to play, what does it matter?
Bug Reports » Unrated random game? » Go to message
Random games used to let you match with someone higher or lower than your rank, but it would ask you if you wanted to proceed. Then the devs made random the only ranked format and that system got overhauled. You got who you got, but it seemed all opponents were closely ranked (It also took away the option to have multiple matchups with the same person).

Now they seemed to have switched back. I am occasionally getting prompted to match with players way out of my range. For example I am about 2050, allowed to match with a 1450 and recently a 2500.
General Discussion » No balance at all » Go to message
Nice post. I agree with almost all of it. I am not at your play level or experience, so I had a few questions (sorry if it derails the thread a bit but these forums arent exactly bursting with activity).

1) I feel that Khrals can stand with Saps on most maps as long as they are very good at minimizing the marines with buried ling traps and infectors. The advantage does seem to go to the Sapien in this matchup but not by enough to call it an auto-win. What am i missing here?

2) Most naval maps allow the titan player to run mechas and eclipses as blockers for their ships - i never seem to have trouble with guruda spam. A balance of destroyers and helis rushing the titan player does seem to be a winning strat though.

3) Is great wall the one with many low resource bases along the sides and a line of mountains down the middle with 2 bases in it? I never play that map because i find it poorly designed but i am failing to see how this map favors titans vs saps?
General Discussion » Critical Flaw in Uniwars Undo Button Mechanics » Go to message
Not a problem but a curious "quirk", that if the design team thought of from the getgo they no doubt wouldn't have included.
General Discussion » Siege units and gang up bonus » Go to message
+1 bonus is for attacks that are right beside the 1st attacker (or in the same spot if it was a marauder double attack), are ranged, or if the 1st attacker pulled away (speeder or helicopter for instance).
Titans » Titan vs Titan » Go to message
Does anyone enjoy this matchup? Personally I find it exceedingly tedious. Every match just ends up being plasma tank vs plasma tank with a race to build walkers. On low resource maps this process just takes way too long, with many turns spent with little combat and just saving up resources.

I could be biased, since i find the titan race to be the most flawed anyway. If i were redesigning, i would make all the race's infantry units have more similar movement, with mechas able to move 3 spaces. I would also change the speeder or the eclipse to not take stat penalties in swamp/forest so titans can better hold their own on terrain heavy maps.
General Discussion » Going 1st/2nd » Go to message
First post on here, but i have read (lurked) most of the forums already

I see several people making claims of an advantage of going 2nd on some maps, and i just can't see it. Personally, I play most of my games by hitting "start random game", which means i go 1st. So i don't know how much of a credit boost the 2nd player gets, maybe it is more substantial than i thought.

But the way I look at it if you go 1st you can still play as if you were 2nd. Just pretend that your 2nd turn is your 1st, and compare that to what the 2nd player gets (credits as well as starting unit position). So for instance on ChatoHill, i see claims that it isnt fair that 1st player cant move to capture the base while 2nd player can. But the 1st player is still ahead of the 2nd player on his 2nd turn compared to 2nd player's 1st turn. That's the inherent bonus that 1st player gets, and any turn based strategy game designer should be aware of this by giving 2nd player more resources, and better starting positions for units (if the game has starting units).
Forum Index Profile for boourns »» Messages posted by boourns