[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: Mantis Lord
Forum Index Profile for Mantis Lord »» Messages posted by Mantis Lord
Tournaments » Spring Freshet: 3rd place matches online translation » Go to message
Wow, great play by play! Very excited to see the highest level games with commentary. Thank you so much for sharing.

Would love to see more of this in uniwar in general. I have a screenshot capable phone finally...

Congratulations to the victor AnuarAnsat! Wow, what a tough field!
Admiration too for everyone else that placed this tourney, and the other final 4.

That is just so many jeeps, egads! Gross gross gross gross haha. Neat to see boats make it into a final round game.

(Way to go Talone too for running another great successful tourney!)
Tournaments » The Beach Wars: rules and registration » Go to message
It will be like http://piranha-3d.com/.

Mantis Lord, 2800.
User Generated Maps » Feedback Request on New Team Map! [Game of Thrones Themed] » Go to message
Hello uniwarriors -

I've carefully crafted a new, balanced and reasonably sized 3 vs 3 team map.

Map Title: GameofBones3vs3
Winter Theme, battle as the Watchers on The Wall!

Try it out if you get a chance, with your own group of friends or feel free to invite me too.
I considered most scenarios for balance, but would like to know how it 'feels' to you all, or if I missed something big!

A good solid amount of credits on this one too, so quite a few options open up early in the game.
Also features a unique solo-harbor turret I think you'll have fun with...

Fight on! Post any thoughts or questions on this thread.
If things go well I may host a tourney on this one down the road.

Thank you!
Tournaments » Spring freshet: 1 tour » Go to message
Just confirming the results that SU47 posted. My money is on him to win the whole tournament now

They were hard fought matches, but the reality is that SU47 picked a far superior strategy from Move 1 and I could not catch up after that point. It even looked like we'd split the rounds 2 to 2 but that he'd win by turn count, but he was even able to tip the tide back in one of those games.

I was hoping to make a far better showing in my first tournament here, but I was very glad to participate. May as well have gotten the hard match out of the way first round apparently. Thank you for all the hard work you put in to create, organize and motivate the fanbase Talone!

If any one is looking to improve their strategy before the next round, start an unrated game with me on this map and we can chat there. I can tell you what I learned and what to watch out for. Even though it was just the first round, I assure you that this was top-level play and that you can expect to see similar tactics in the final matches.

Can't wait for the next one! If for any reason you run out of people to fill in empty/dq brackets, you know where to find me
Tournaments » Spring freshet: 1 tour » Go to message
Linked up with su47.

ML sap v sap
sap v ML sap
ML kral v titan
kral v ML titan

Traveling until Tuesday, requested patience if i miss a turn Can finish games by deadline.

[Also having some serious login issues]
Titans » are protoss..i mean... titans underpowered? » Go to message
Waxoid! Thanks for the response I accepted the tester invite.

There are so many cases to cover, I don't even know if I believe a map can ever be truly balanced. That said, the tourney map you linked me in question is brutal for titans. Kral obviously thrives on swarm tactics, and with so many bases to defend and so few credits to do so, no wonder it just turned into a race like that. With almost zero choke points too. Really cool to see all those screenshots. Painful to me to think about how long it took to build all that up though at like what, 225 a turn? ick If that is the right amount of credits a turn starting, also think about how much nicer that is for kral. 2 turns - crab. Oh titans, you want a plasma? 3 turns. Poof. What a difference 25 credits makes. With such constricted credits too, yeah getting a walker up is nigh impossible. Snakes not so hard though, hence another balance issue to consider. I'll put it this way - I wouldn't make a case for titans on that map, because I'd simply never pick them on that map. I try to always pick the right tool for the job.

I in no way mean to knock anyone's experience, and I'm relatively new compared to the old-timers I know. I was just surprised by the seemingly generally accepted view that Kral tend to rock Titans. I just haven't observed that type of skewing on the battlefield.

That said, I apparently have an unconventional Titan strategy that seems to do very well. Not the plasma line / walkers behind general strategy from above. I will not describe it in forum as I'm still refining it and we have the tourney coming up. I'll post more about it afterwards, depending how I do You might see a slice of it in our tester game, not sure yet what I want to do there. But I have never seen another titan player use my approach.

I'll also add a caveat that I almost entirely prefer team games. My 1v1 repertoire is not as flushed out. I wouldn't be surprised if I get schooled in the tournament by solo arena veterans. But so far I've found most of my plans in team games translate well to 1v1s.

Titans » are protoss..i mean... titans underpowered? » Go to message
What, are you serious? Titans are the most overpowered race in the game. I personally think your suggested nerfs/changes to Krals are ludicrous.

With a wall of plasmas and walkers behind, Titans cannot be beat.

On any map larger than a small to small/medium size, with neutral bases to be fought over, Titans grow even more powerful. On the largest maps, they are simply unbeatable. Chain teleporting is a broken feature the other races cannot compete with.

I am not trying to be mean. But you could probably use some deep guidance on Titans if you think they are underpowered, let alone even just thinking they're similar to the other races. I'd be happy to help with that.

I will agree with you though, they are underrepresented at the top 50. But that's because they require more skill to play effectively, since their units are more expensive. It means building the wrong unit punishes you more than with the other races.

PS - race matchups depend so deeply on the map though, generalizations are hard to make. The above statements, apart from map size, are made concerning games with average amounts of terrain and base spacing.
Bug Reports » Cannot use special ability on units turned by own team » Go to message
It works great the way it is. It takes time to cap and boost a unit on your same team, ie that unit loses at least 1 turn of action, so that's the tradeoff for the extra power. And it's a great way to defend against having your units turned by the enemy. It's an important consideration when picking your team in a 2v2 or more players game. Just adapt your strategy.
Tournaments » Spring freshet: basic rules and registration » Go to message
Mantis Lord
2713 rating
14 months playing.
New Feature Request » Refuse challenge » Go to message
Agree. It feels like a bug or major oversight that you just can't decline a challenge, and it sits there polluting your active game list in the mean time.
New Feature Request » 90 day rating reset! Vote in poll » Go to message
I would like to add that Uniwar games span a wide, wide range of durations. I have recently completed 3+ games that lasted for more than 4 months each. It would be really strange to start a game one day, and not have it completed before the current ladder resets. I think 2 resets a year is a much better balance.

We should also discuss long term rating vs ladder rankings. Right now, the ladder serves as the only tool to try and find players rated near your 'skill' level to challenge others or invite them to play as teammates. All that information would get lost in a ladder reset. So keep the old ladders public for viewing, or do a ladder system and a separate long-term rating.
General Discussion » 302,583 registered players » Go to message
No doubt the ladder is very messy. I am a high-rated player on my first account and have never used tricks or gimmicks - for reference. I think a ladder reset 1-2 times a year is reasonable though, and pretty common for other games that use this kind of ranking.
New Feature Request » Non-harbor bridge » Go to message
This is a major piece of terrain needed in the game, no question.

I would argue to just turn the swamp into a lagoon, that serves this function. And drops the defense still quite a bit for every unit that lands on it, except air, but including water units.
User Generated Maps » Uneven maps » Go to message
I am exploring uneven scenarios in AncientCastle, a 4v4 siege map. Maybe try it out and share your thoughts? Attacking team has slightly easier access to the neutral bases, but cannot reinforce from one side to the other easily. Whereas the defending team benefits from walls, choke points, and being able to swing around quicker inside the castle walls.

It's not possible to set different starting credits for different teams is it, other than through bases owned at start of turn?
General Discussion » Weekly news from the Runiwar.ru » Go to message
Hello Talone! Greetings from the USA. I used to be your neighbor up in Alaska, now I am down in Washington.

I have been fascinated by the Russian player contingent, and the orbital base you have put together. It is pretty hilarious to try and read the site with google translate on. There are many...interesting combinations of terms. I can understand probably ~75% of the intended content of any given post there haha

Best of luck tournament players!

Now on to matters of fairness...

I agree with most of the posters. Unfair players are those that use cheats or gimmicks to win, including baiting players into the extremely short games or setting up blatantly unfair matches (where they can get an extra base first etc). The problem though is that some players may not know a match is unfair when they set it up, for example.

Players that don't participate in 'peace' offerings, or that skip other players quickly when they get the chance, are very fair players still. Some might call it 'dirty' or 'rude,' but that's personal preference and style. Not cheating. So if you want have 2 lists, 1 for 'Cheaters' and 1 for 'Impolite' players.

>>> What we really need is a list of all the maps + matchups that the mainstream Uniwar community has decided are unfair games. Let's start that list, keep it visible on both forums, and try to keep it updated. Maybe even as a spreadsheet, that starts to list the evaluations of all the matchups for all the rated maps that people are really playing right now.
Forum Index Profile for Mantis Lord »» Messages posted by Mantis Lord