[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: drumstep
Forum Index Profile for drumstep »» Messages posted by drumstep
User Generated Maps » Skull Valley 2 » Go to message
Hello everyone. As part of the initiative to clean up the rated map pool I have published a fixed version of the map Skull Valley. The only change was to the position of the base owned at the start so that blue krahls no longer have a way to stop red's initial base capture. If you get a chance please downvote the original Skull Valley and upvote Skull Valley 2 as a replacement.
Bad maps - to be voted out of the rated pool! » Skull Valley » Go to message
I've published the fixed version. It's called Skull Valley 2
General Discussion » Why i hope to remove randomness » Go to message
  TheDragon wrote:Actually I think the string is generated at the beginning of each turn. But I had heard (not sure if correct) that in mirror tournies that the same string was used for each turn.


It definitely isn't the same between mirrored games, but I guess I could be wrong about when it's generated.
General Discussion » Why i hope to remove randomness » Go to message
  Edisontrent7 wrote:
  drumstep wrote:
  Edisontrent7 wrote:Or, how about we make it so that it tournament matches, both players get the same randomness modifiers to prevent players from winning because they were more lucky with that factor.

Does that sound like a good idea


That wouldn't change anything unless both players made the exact same moves for the entire game.


I am not trying to turn tournamant matchs into mirrored MOVES, but i am suggesting that the randomness factor is changed in tournamant matchs to prevent wins by luck rather than strategy


The random string for the entire game is generated before the first turn, and each unit uses a different size piece depending on it's health. If at any point one player does something different from the other, the string will become out of sync.
Bug Reports » Undo Action button now missing » Go to message
It's in the top left now. If you hit it after doing an undoable action like moving it undoes it. Hitting it at any other time allows you to undo the whole turn if you have the tokens.
Bad maps - to be voted out of the rated pool! » Please downvote map Skull Valley » Go to message
Looks like we both had this map topic waiting for approval My suggestion for improvement was just making that threatened base the one the player starts with so we can keep the map otherwise the same.
Bad maps - to be voted out of the rated pool! » Skull Valley » Go to message
Map name: Skull Valley
Map maker: Hawaiian
Number of Players: 2

Reason for down voting: Blue krahls can easily stop red from capping the right base in the group of three bases. This is nearly guaranteed against red krahls and saps, and still the most likely outcome against red titans. For an example, see my June 2016 round 2 championship tourney game against SeaKrait.

Change recommendations (if you have any):
Make the threatened base the one that is owned at the beginning of the game. This keeps the map the same and ensures both players make all their caps. If the feedback on this idea is positive I can go ahead and remake the map myself since I have 100 map tokens lying around that I'll never use otherwise.
General Discussion » Why i hope to remove randomness » Go to message
  Edisontrent7 wrote:Or, how about we make it so that it tournament matches, both players get the same randomness modifiers to prevent players from winning because they were more lucky with that factor.

Does that sound like a good idea


That wouldn't change anything unless both players made the exact same moves for the entire game.
New Feature Request » A new idea for Uniwar: The Elite Forces. » Go to message
  Apercent wrote:
C)Titans cooldown
Yeah I think that's gonna make maps a lot harder to balance. I'd just give it something else like a cooldown power attack ability or something (maybe it can also gain 2 range for 1 turn? Idk). The biggest problem problem with this is that teleporting with a fast cooldown gives Titans a far greater earlier start on 50% of maps


If getting the upgrade takes a turn then it doesn't actually have any effect on how fast a mecha can reach a target like a base. Currently it works as teleport=>cooldown=>move. Upgraded mecha would be upgrade=>teleport=>move. The difference is that the upgrade removes the vulnerable turn, but also has the drawback that you need to wait a turn to teleport so if you need an immediate block you go without the upgrade.
New Feature Request » Proposal: Make buried underlings visible to the enemy » Go to message
I feel like it should be noted that the "soft undo" to find underlings has only existed since a week or two ago. It is likely a bug and therfore should not be used as a counter argument against fully visible buried underlings.
User Generated Maps » How to post ranked maps that should be made unranked » Go to message
  wookieontheweb wrote:I like the idea, but I see a problem. First, what are the exact criteria that make a map rated and is this the same tipping point that turns it back?



Criteria for a map being ranked is 25+ votes with 75%+ positive I believe and if the map falls below 75% positive feedback it becomes unranked. Recently a score based weighting system was introduced so that your vote value is (score-1500)/10, up to a max of 10, so a few high ranked players can have a significant effect. The things I'm not sure about is if the weighting was applied to votes already cast before it was implemented, and if the thumbs up/down show the effective vote count or how many people have voted.

Additionally, each player can vote once for each matchup, and once just from looking at the map selection screen for a total of ten individual votes. At some point in the future, the data collected from each matchup will be utilized so a map can be either rated or unrated for each matchup. For example, rated for SvT, unrated for SvK.

I hope this clears up any questions
General Discussion » Poll: How should undo work, once 'free undo' is disabled? » Go to message
The last two options are interesting, but I can see a problem that may or may not be difficult to address. Imagine a scenario where I retreat a unit so that I can no longer see the units I could see at the beginning of my turn and then I move a different unit (with same vision value for simplicity) back up to the same space. Would the game treat this as new information and disable undo, even though nothing really changed? Same kind of thing with buried underlings, and would finding the same underling from a different space also disable undo, since this actually is new information even though it's about the same unit.

I'm one of the people that likes being able to optimize my turn, so I voted for ad support free undo, but FOW is an unfortunate casualty to this style of play.
Bug Reports » game against bot gets rated, can't play against real players » Go to message
Sounds like a bug. Playing ranked games against bots is normal but you should definitely be able to play against people as well. Send an email to support@uniwar.com.
New Feature Request » New map system » Go to message
The data necessary for this actually already exists according to Xavi, as when you vote on a map it asks about the specific race combination played. He has also said that that dividing the maps so that only certain race combos can be played ranked will come, although we don't have an estimate as to when.
General Discussion » Why i hope to remove randomness » Go to message
I've seen this mentioned a few times in the past and while I understand the arguments and the appeal of having no random factor, I don't think I agree. Maybe I'm not as much of a "hardcore" strategy gamer, but to me part of the fun is being able to calculate things like: "If I move my unit to point X, I have an 80% chance of being able to eventually cap base Y, but a 20% chance of failing and falling behind," and then deciding whether the risk is worth it. Removing the random factor would change it so a unit is either guaranteed to survive or guaranteed to die. It could also reduce variety so that games on the same map eventually become the same with everyone playing the solved best strategy.

I do understand the option to undo changes the risk calculations and I use it pretty heavily myself, but unless players have a very large unit pool they aren't that likely to find a combination that produces a completely unpredictable result (though I did once have a +3 gangup buried underling on plains do 4 to a plasma tank), and I greatly prefer weighing the risk and reward rather than a simple "dead or alive" system.

So those are my thoughts, and I will most likely stay with the game regardless of what the devs do, but personally I like the random factor the way it is.
Forum Index Profile for drumstep »» Messages posted by drumstep
Powered by JForum 2.1.9 © - 2020-04-14 v124 - UniWar website