[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: Kevor
Forum Index Profile for Kevor »» Messages posted by Kevor
General Discussion » Balancing questions » Go to message
  Cavvo wrote: It seems to me that with each race having one caster unit, and having that caster unit be specialized against one other race, that there will be an inevitable imbalance in every 1v1 that isn't a mirror match-up. It seems like titans are at a disadvantage against sapiens, who are at a disadvantage against khraleans, who are at a disadvantage against titans.

Now, I've seen the copter as a potentially devastating weapon sapiens have against khraleans, but what balances khraleans against titans, or titans against sapiens?

I can kick titan butt almost every time playing as Khralean – depending on the map. (In fact, in a "A River Runs Through it", I think it is impossible for Titan to beat Khral.) Titans are strong but very slow -- take a long time to build and long to heal. And buried underlings can take out assimilators before they can take them over. You can almost always find a strategy to overcome the enemy.

Likewise, sapiens can kick Khral butt as well. Infectors are expensive and slow -- vulnerable. Easy to kill before they plague or infect, if you go at them with a massed attack. And engineers are cheaper and can cure plague.

Titans vs. Sapiens is tougher. You have to KO engineers ASAP, or they can take you out. With the revised rules, it is easier, but still not very easy, to survive an engineer spam. Plasma tanks are the strongest land unit, bar none. Use them, with eclipses and speeders close behind, and you can rule sapiens. Sometimes...
General Discussion » Anonymous Not Allowed to Post Anymore » Go to message
  kralux wrote: Anonymous visitors of the forums will not be able to post messages and reply to threads anymore.
To many bots have been spamming the forums and we now require identification.

The UniWar Team

About time....
New Feature Request » Since you can designate a friend... » Go to message
Agreed -- on both points -- I like the idea of this feature, and would definitely want it to be private. I have not had much experience with the 'cheating' problem, but I cannot imagine it is widespread. These days I tend to stick to playing with others I played with before.
New Feature Request » A request for dullards like me... confirm peace acceptance? » Go to message
  akumaextreme wrote: The problem I have with the Peace Offering is that it pops up before I even see which game I'm playing. Quite often I'm playing multiple games on the same map and I would like to see what the situation is like before I accept his Peace Offering. I would like to see the Peace Acceptance show up as a button in a corner or below the End Turn button.

Yeah, this is an issue that keeps popping up in multiple threads.... (And it will continue to pop up until they fix it! Hear that, guys??) If you are playing multiple games at one time -- like most of us do -- and then you see the "Peace is offered" dialog box, you rarely know the details of the situation. They really need a button where you can examine the field and remind yourself what was going on. It would also help if it indicated WHO was asking for peace. That really matters, if its a multi-player game.

In any case, I usually refuse peace offers. I never ask for peace either. That's the coward's way out, IMHO. If I'm gonna lose, I go down swinging or surrender. (And I couldn't care less about the frakkin' ratings either.) One exception to that I can think of -- in a team game, if someone on the other team flakes out (i.e. gets booted), then I will accept peace from the remaining team members left holding the bag. Doesn't seem fair that they get screwed over because someone on their team couldn't be bothered to hold up their end...
New Feature Request » In-game chat icon alerts » Go to message
Yes, the delayed chat is a very annoying thing. So many team games I screwed up a move, because the chat icon was not on when the game first loaded, I started moving, and then after it was too late saw that one of my teammates wanted me to do something. Oooops! Too late! Anyway, these days I have taken to always checking the replay first. By the time the replay is done, if you have mail, the chat icons will be on. A bit annoying, but there you are....
New Feature Request » Buried Underlings are too strong in mass..... » Go to message
  Anonymous wrote: Anonymous: I would point out all the ways in which you are both wrong and a jerk, but it’s not worth my time to embarrass you unless you login first.

Well, that was unnecessary, don't you think? And maybe you should log in as well, eh?...

Anyway, leaving aside the issue if the first Anon is a jerk or not (I have no opinion on that matter), I think he/she is right that the buried underling issue is more of a non-issue. I have both used this strategy and been abused by it, and as far as I can tell, it is not an automatic game winner by any stretch of the imagination. There are many ways to reduce its effectiveness, including covering every damned hex with a cheap unit (marine or mecha), so they can never pop up - or at least, not en masse. They cannot do much good if they have to stay underground. Yes, it takes some thought and patience. Boo hoo... (Am I a jerk too now?)

Also, I gotta agree that the UV-blast hitting buried underlings is not a solution -- assuming that you think there was a problem to begin with. (Obviously, I don't.) That said, I think its a cool idea -- as well as the idea that assimilators can detect buried units -- but both should be studied for their effect on game balance.

The underling is the weakest light ground unit. Being able to bury it is a game balancer for the Khraleans, who have other weaknesses too. If you want to reduce its effectiveness, I think a simpler and better way would be to reduce their movement allowance while buried. Not being able to heal while underground doesn't seem quite fair. On the other hand, I think it would be fair that underlings don't get the heal bonus from adjacent infectors while they are buried. (And it would make sense too -- how can the buried underling interact with the infector when its underground? I've always wondered that... but maybe I just take this game too seriously...)
New Feature Request » Deliver Plague / Infect.... I'm confused! » Go to message
  Unimarobj wrote: To the anonymous user, yeah, I use plague.
It can be devastating in the right situation, if not totally annoying lol

Yeah, I can totally back up Unimarobj on both counts! In the right place, you can really screw over the Sapiens player, especially if his units are tightly packed and not much room to move. (Unless he already has a lot of engineers.) I have also been on the receiving end, and it is SO annoying when you get rid of the plague on some units only to give it to other units, because you were not paying attention to where you were placing your copters or marauders on their second move. (I recently had a game where I got plague once, and it took me over 14 turns to completely eradicate it! If I had been more careful, it would have taken less. However, sometimes for tactical reasons, you have to put a unit in a certain place -- and if that place is next to unplagued units, they will have the plague on your next turn. Can really trip you up...)
New Feature Request » re-engineering the EMP » Go to message
  Anonymous wrote: So? Sapiens are still overpowered against khraleans, even if the engineer cost more they'd be the superior race. Hell most sapien vs khralean games are won by sapiens with no engineers used at all.

Only against players who don't know how to play Khraleans properly, in my humble opinion... (I beat Sapiens all the time playing the bug, but maybe that's just me...)

Anyway, the real point of this post is that it looks like our work is over! As you've seen by now, the guys at Xpressed have made up their minds, and decided to go with the option of engineers not moving and EMPing on the same turn. I think that our discussion here might well have been an important factor in that, and I thank all of you who participated. So, lets just close this thread out.... 'cause I have the feeling that somebody will start a new one to bitch about the change to the EMP that was made...
New Feature Request » Special unit benefits affecting a teammate » Go to message
Sorry, last post was by me. System put me in as "anonymous" for some reason. (This gets annoying after a while... hope they fix that bug soon...)
(ran out of space...)

(11) EMP shuts the Titans down for the Sapien's round (when the EMP was fired), but not the for Titan's next round.
This also makes the EMP too weak, in my opinion. Don't like.

(12) Assimilators provide an EMP protection umbrella to Titan units immediately around it (1 hex range)
This is a really interesting idea, but I'd want to see some game testing before I could form an opinion. At this point, I just don't know what effect it would have on the game. (It would make the assimilator a stronger unit, which has been a subject of other threads, so you could solve 2 problems at once.... still, I just don't know...)
OK, that said, I am going to weigh in on the choices we have on the list:

(1) Make the engineer unable to move on the same turn as they do an EMP
I still think this is the simplest fix, and the best one to try.

(2) Lower the engineer's defense, so they are easier to kill
(NOTE: as mentioned, engineers already have Defense Strength = 0. Would have to start them with <10 hit points to make easier to kill.)
Doing this would make an exception to the game -- every unit now starts with 10 HP. Not worth changing the game that much, unless the designers want to start changing that parameter throughout the game.

(3) The effect of the EMP would be to immobilize Titan units, but they can still attack and defend.
(4) The effect of the EMP would be to immobilize Titan units, but they can still defend.
(5) The effect of the EMP would be to slow Titan units (e.g. halving their movement)
All of these are worth considering, but I don't like them, because I think EMP should be all or nothing. It just doesn't make sense to me that an EMP would knock out a unit's ability to move or attack, but it could still defend and inflict damage. But that's just me – I like some element of realism.

(6) After a Titan unit recovers from EMP, it is immune to EMP for the next 1 or 2 rounds
I do like this one, and it is my second choice after (1). It would definitely stop the 'engineer spam' where a column of titans is stopped dead in their tracks forever while one engineer after another pops up and freezes them. Gets really boring...

(7) Make engineers "cooldown" after using EMP for a turn or two
(NOTE: by 'cooldown', not referring to the EMP, which already has a 10-turn cooldown, but to the engineer being able to move, reprogram, etc.)
I also like this one -- third choice. But I would make it only a 1-turn cooldown.

(8 ) EMP only affects 1 space around the engineer, instead of 2.
This is also OK, but would really lower the impact of EMP. (Which is the point, I know -- but maybe it would lower it too much.)

(9) Engineers get no terrain bonus.
This is a really easy fix, and could be done in addition to any of the choices above. I like it.

(10) Engineers with less than 5 (or X) health cannot EMP.
This would be another exception to the game mechanics -- all the other support units can do their special power even if they have only 1 HP left. So, I do not favor it.
Good save, Dogalyst! I missed that one. Like Unimarobj, I kind of wonder what it might do to gameplay. But I think its a cool idea! Its on the list, which now reads:

(NOTE: as mentioned, engineers already have Defense Strength = 0. Would have to start them with <10 hit points to make easier to kill.)
(3) The effect of the EMP would be to immobilize Titan units, but they can still attack and defend.
(4) The effect of the EMP would be to immobilize Titan units, but they can still defend.
(5) The effect of the EMP would be to slow Titan units (e.g. halving their movement)
(6) After a Titan unit recovers from EMP, it is immune to EMP for the next 1 or 2 rounds
(NOTE: by 'cooldown', not referring to the EMP, which already has a 10-turn cooldown, but to the engineer being able to move, reprogram, etc.)
(11) EMP shuts the Titans down for the Sapien's round (when the EMP was fired), but not the for Titan's next round.
(12) Assimilators provide an EMP protection umbrella to Titan units immediately around it (1 hex range)

(Sorry for not being around so much, work has been a bitch lately...)
  sunnyohno wrote: I have nothing constructive to say, other then...

lol

wow, that looks so familiar...

(Are you the one that did that to me?? You should be ashamed of yourself... )
  Hachiman wrote: wouldnt this thread be better as a poll?

Well, perhaps, eventually -- but I think we're still trying to decide what the poll choices are. I doubt we're ready yet to vote on anything. So, since I started this darned thread, maybe I should take some responsibility for it... OK, here is a re-cap of the possible alternatives, with my best attempt to summarize the options put forward since last time:

I think that's it. Please chime in if I missed one. I also put some notes and modifications to the list, in response to suggestions and valid points made earlier. What I think we need to do is narrow down our choices. We have way too many here! Could people please let me know which ones you think are the best, and which you think are the worst. I think we should have no more than 5 choices before we go to a poll.

(souled and 5200 made a valid point that the Assimilator's UV utility sucks eggs, but please don't reply to that. Lets stay on focus here: EMP. Period. If you like the idea of improving the Assimilator's utility, then please start another thread. Thanks.)
New Feature Request » Sick of players bailing out » Go to message
AMEN to that! This has happened way too many times to me too. VERY annoying! Would it be possible to have the option of "Random game with NON-anonymous players"?

The same goes for team games too. I swear, half of the team games I have played have been ruined when someone backs out in the middle of it.
Forum Index Profile for Kevor »» Messages posted by Kevor