[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: Solitary
Forum Index Profile for Solitary »» Messages posted by Solitary
General Discussion » bug report: EMP not working properly? » Go to message
Lol, I'm hoping you don't assume after our games that I'm too noob to know how to use EMP properly :p. I did try your strategy though and it is a "skin of the teeth" strategy so I'm looking to develop a technique based on it xD.

The bug it 100% NOT people being unable to use EMP correctly though!

EDIT: At least, I'm hoping my memory serves me correctly although I did only play some of my very early games on that map xD.
General Discussion » this forum is almost unreadable » Go to message
Light blue on dark blue for me xD.
Sapiens » Single Helicopter Push - Dead Monk » Go to message
To anyone following this thread, Nicko's first test against this strategy ended in complete disaster for the dark lord who was almost out of the game in 7 rounds after some careless play and went down completely in about 15 xD. Second game Nicko opened with two pinzers and I stopped making marines on round 3, so whatever the result of the game I think it would be safe to say that this strategy is worth considering as an option as the debate has now moved onto who is the better player :o.

Hope to hear some feedback on the first game from mr Nicko as well shortly \o/.
I assume whatever the result of the second game you'd be agreeing with me that this strategy is dangerous :o.
It's not exclusive to dead monk as a strategy but I've taken down a 1900 rank player with it and an 1800 xD. I had to make a few other units after the initial push but it was a single helicopter and then about 6-8 marines which gave me the decisive advantage!

EDIT: By spam in this section I mean it's mostly full of junk, nothing I read here was helpful in terms of picking up the game.
General Discussion » bug report: EMP not working properly? » Go to message
I had this problem on hurtgen forest and got quite badly humiliated as my strategy was very engineer heavy xD.
As the strategy forums seem spammed with polls and completely useless general information I thought I'd post up a strategy I've been using very sucessfully against khrals on dead monk, although I'm sure it works on other maps. As blue sapiens you capture the grey base and then skip, so on round 2 you have 500 credits to open with a helicopter. As red sapiens you build a marine in the starting base and then do the same (this marine is important to combat wyrm cheese rush). On round 3 in both cases you will have a completed helicopter ready to move, on the upper base also for both red and blue sapiens.

As blue sapiens move the helicopter right two spaces (assuming you don't see garuda on the horizon already), this will allow you vision of both red bases and keep you out of range of garuda still on the starting base and any sneaky ones slightly forward will be unable to attack your helicopter without dying when you make one marine in each base. As red you can mirror this if you don't see anything coming into field of view, although it is important to move your marine forwards into the middle of the three forest tiles. This allows your heli to attack any underling you see jumping into the edge of your FOV as there's a fairly popular khralean trap to try and lure your helicopter into wyrm range (but the marine on the forest blocks this as then the wyrm gets beat down by the marine and heli if it chases).

Obviously you have to vary based on what you see but I've found in a lot of cases with this opening I can move straight into a hard push with nothing but marines and the single helicopter, using the helicopter to finish off weakened units and scare off infectors/wyrms. Occupy the central forested area and mountains where you can and definately don't try to force this strategy if you see two swarmers when you scout the bases, as you might find it a little painful xD. Two swarmers as well as being unusual is also not that strong if you just load up on helis as the khral won't be able to delay you for long enough to get anything which can fight the helicopters.

Okay, hopefully that's a talking point at least >.<.

ps. This can turn into a bit of a dogfight if khrals go after your initial helicopter with a garuda but you will come out of that fight ahead if it happens.
General Discussion » lol 5 bots in Ladder 10 first players » Go to message
I think there's more than 5, lol.

Alon is the only player in the top 10 who I'm sure is 100% legitimate ranking!
New Feature Request » Retain Game Records on Web » Go to message
The other thing to consider is the effort involved in specific modifications that are requested. For example, ideas which develop the game in the sense you're saying would require considerably more time and effort to implement than just adding a record of the game as a downloadable file. In that sense it's tough to compare features like that with gameplay altering modifications xD. This isn't what I'd say is a top pick for modifications to the game but it's also not a difficult one to program and implement, whereas other changes might never happen for that reason.

The number one feature I'd like to see is a map designer and a way of regularly voting in player designed maps, to keep things fresh.
I think we're discussing different ideas here xD. The part of the idea I liked was a downloadable file so you could have a record of a completed game to review afterwards? There's no need mid game to review previous moves as I think keeping track of how many credits your enemy has is something that you should have in your head anyways.

I think being able to go over games and analyse them afterwards, or even just keep them for posterity if you get a win against a high ranked opponent would be something a lot of people would use.
You've never wanted to take a second look at a really good game you played?
I don't look back mid game but post game I'd quite like to have the option of downloading a file so I can take a look at the game again whenever I want xD.
I'm not worried how good he is at this game, I am 100% confident I'd beat him at over the board chess based on what he just said and in terms of quickly advancing your technique I found it very useful in chess to analyse my own games :o. This allows you to check if you had a powerful strategy or if there was a weakness that neither you or your opponent noticed at the time, as opposed to learning only by trial and error (plus a bit of memory).

It's a faster way of reaching a high level and a useful teaching tool as well.

ps. In terms of my own skills at this game we'll see where I end up :p. I am currently 9-1 mostly against players under 1600 ( with one kill against an 1840 player >.< ) and have just passed the 1600 mark xD.
General Discussion » Race Preference » Go to message
I'm very sure AloN doesn't cheat xD.
General Discussion » Race Preference » Go to message
Lehi is right, there's loads of cheats that aren't him at the top of the ladder. Loads of those win/loss ratios are just impossible without cheating or at least only selecting matchups that you can't lose, which makes the ranking position just as meaningless. I personally don't have an issue with lehi highlighting the cheating and making the problem 100 times worse because that actually forces action from the developers.

If you're going to have 3 cheats at the top of the ladder you may just as well have 20, it doesn't mean anything unless there's no cheats.
Forum Index Profile for Solitary »» Messages posted by Solitary