[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: Swarrrm
Forum Index Profile for Swarrrm »» Messages posted by Swarrrm
Khraleans » Beating Sapiens » Go to message
  Solitary wrote: Khrals and saps is an odd one though xD. On balanced maps I think it's not so bad but the random element can totally screw khral over in a way that doesn't happen with the other two races, also there's potential for luck in covering buried units. For example if you hit a heli with two garuda and +2 gangup bonus then most times it will die but on the few times it doesn't then you've badly weakened two units for no gain, or you lose another tempo and screw up your attack. Also 10hp garuda will mostly kill 5hp heli but if it doesn't then again you often don't have the tempo available to stop from becoming disadvantaged.

Titans and saps both have less of an issue in that area because they have more units which can move after attack or attack with range so they have better strategic options from unlucky combat results. If you get unlucky with your garuda against helis then it's stuck right in the front row waiting to get mowed down by marines, and there's no real way to compensate for it.

It's also fun to do 9 damage instead of 10 to an assimilator with your ninjaling.
  Solitary wrote: You are swarmmmm, lol. Only one sapien has ever beaten me on hurtgen forest xD. You need to spam and bury loads of underlings before they have a chance to fill the map with helis and then once they get close with a single heli you make your first garuda. You should be able to get ninjalings up the map as well to watch what the sapien builds. Hurtgen forest isn't a khral map, it's just a map where sapiens don't really have an advantage over khral as they can't get their troops in to run you over in the first three turns like most maps! Also because your credits per turn is double the number of bases you have then marine spam isn't overpowering like on other forested maps :o.

And yea, I already posted up about chato hill and the easiest way to confirm is to play same race matchups there and you'll find yourself behind every time as blue. Because of the start setup not being able to capture first turn as blue then red has a 200 credit advantage rather than 100 credit and it can be pretty tough to overcome so I just play chato hill as red >.<. It's also critical as khral because once the helis are out in force you can't really make underlings that easily so not having that base early on means you're getting overrun by helis too early. I'm going to add some bits to the guide soon but using this as a basis I am around 2040 now with over 40 wins and 3 losses!

This strategy is highly dependant on placing buried underlings well and I can't stress that enough.

Yeah, I know you know what you're talking about, I was just fishing for more advice. I've been winning more often than not on Hurtgens lately. I was building too many gaurda initially I think. Chato is tougher because the sapiens can turtle their helicopters much easier, but with some practice I think I'll figure it out. And Montevideo is fun: I love to Pearl Harbor the enemy's seaport with buried underlings.

Any other maps you like for Khrals? Wild Plains? Jungle? Forest Walk? I'm experimenting with Marshes and Rocky at the moment.
I tried a couple KvS games on Chato and Hurtgen and got destroyed. My opponents were all 1970+ though and I'm only 1870 or so. I can beat 2000+ ranked Titans and often good/decent Sapiens with a wyrm rush on Dead Monk (I often lose with it too, but I at least feel I have a chance). Underlings and gaurda just seem to get destroyed by marines and helis. So if this strategy works for you, I must be making some serious tactical errors.
Thanks for posting this.
General Discussion » Stand offs: when making the first move loses » Go to message
Gaurda I mean (I get my games mixed up, they're similar to gargoyles in Warcraft III).
General Discussion » Stand offs: when making the first move loses » Go to message
I've been in a few situations where both players seem to be at a disadvantage if they attack. I'm just wondering how common this is or if there are ways around it.

Thermoplyce(sp?) is an example, because the distance between bases is so long that if you attack the opponents' base they will have more of their forces in the fight than you will. I had a game like this as Sapien vs Sapien. We both massed helis and fought in the middle. He came out with the clear advantage. Then he attacked my base and I could fight him off with my local unit production. I refused to attack and he wasn't going to attack me again either. So we just agreed to peace.

Another example is swarmers vs gargoyles. I played a game on Dead Monk where I went all swarmers and he went all gargoyles. Whoever moved their units across the map first would be at a big disadvantage, because the other army could then pound on them for a turn.
(I got impatient and lost)

And I don't play naval battles too much, but Naval War and Montevideo seem to have potential for this situation also, especially with Titan ships vs Sapien ships.
Sapiens » Single Helicopter Push - Dead Monk » Go to message
I am wyrm rushing pretty much every time in this match up right now and I'm happy to see an early helicopter. Bikes and marines I'm more afraid of.
General Discussion » Attack calculations » Go to message
  celadonz wrote: To try to get back to the original topic, I found the following formula to be _close_.

((Attack Strength + All bonuses) * HP of Attacker)*.05 – Defense Strength * 0.14 = Amount of HP lost

It only calculates the defenders losses, I've yet to look into the counter fire formula. I came to this formula by writing down a few battle outcomes and doing some basic linear algebra. The small sampling I used (around a dozen) all came very close to this outcome. Perhaps with a larger sampling (and another few hours of intense boredem) I could find a formula for the range of possible results.

Anyways, just thought I'd share.

Thanks, that's probably close to accurate. I came up with something like (I forget what the decimal values were)

4 + (attack - defense)*(.5) = average damage

And the standard deviation from the average I didn't calculate, but it's probably something like 0.5.
General Discussion » Bots in ranked games » Go to message
True, that's next on my to-do list. Actually, I need to learn how to play well first, but it's somewhere on there.
General Discussion » Bots in ranked games » Go to message
Hey all,

I'm new to the game. I just noticed you can play against bots in ranked matches and that seems strange to me. The bots seem ridiculously easy so far. I don't know if there's different difficulty levels or what. But in most online games with a ranking system you can't boost your score by playing the computer, so I'm just wondering what the rationale for allowing that is in this game? While I can I'm going to continue to rack up some points vs bots and feel dirty while doing so.
New Feature Request » Retain Game Records on Web » Go to message
  kralux wrote: Solitary, this is an option that we will add to the game.
We are already storing all the games in memory on the server and replays will be possible at some point.

Awesome.
Forum Index Profile for Swarrrm »» Messages posted by Swarrrm