[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Messages posted by: Hachiman
Forum Index Profile for Hachiman »» Messages posted by Hachiman
New Feature Request » Allow one player to take multiple armies on the same account » Go to message
I think it's a simple, great idea.

However:

1) Should be disallowed for FFA's.
2) Should be an option, disabled by default.
3) All slots you take must be on the same team.
4) You should have to take to take all the slots you are going to take when you first join the game. Otherwise it is prone to abuse (you set up a game, people join, then you take the remaining slots, giving yourself an advantage).
New Feature Request » Fix remaining balance issue: Mountain/ Infantry / Converters » Go to message
Thanks for the response Kralux.

I can understand your hesitation, they are not simple balance thoughts.

However, I would like to draw attention to the fact that the game is simply not balanced for experienced players on maps with many strategic mountains (eg Wild Plains, Great Wall).

It's not a game killer, but it would be nice to address in some manner.

I don't think its worthwhile arguing over specific race advantages, if you'd like me to demonstrate, just challenge me to a game on Wild Plains with you as Khrals (I'll play Titans).
New Feature Request » Potential New Feature: Cancel and REDO Turn » Go to message
I think it's a very bad idea to allow a player to pay for an advantage in a strategy game, especially one with a random element.

The appeal of the game is the opportunity to out think your opponent, not to out pay him. Many of the game's best moments are tense decisions are about what to attack with what, and in what order. This change would diminish those decisions.

I wouldn't pay for this, and I wouldn't want to play anyone who used it against me.

I think any paid for add-ons should add content, not unfair advantages.
General Discussion » Online Code of Conduct - The UniWar "Constitution" » Go to message
I think it's fine to play on the same team as yourself ONLY IF your opponents know about it in advance (before joining).

It would be good if there was an automatic warning coded into the game. Failing that a game title that indicates it would be the only fair thing to do.
New Feature Request » Fix remaining balance issue: Naval Units » Go to message
Yeah I definately think a little tweak like that is the best way to go. Better to under shoot than over do it.

I understand that what I said is not always the case btw, but I think it is a good general rule of thumb.

The new units for UW2 sound awesome by the way!

Guides & Tips » Map Quiz ... say what you would do. » Go to message
  newuser wrote:

I weakened the Pinzer with my 10 boat and killed the artillary with my 8. I built two Mechas in the North and then an Eclipse in the Southern peninsula to help against the birds. I also moved the existing Mecha south one spot so that the Garuda's would have a hard time getting at my boats because they were blocked by my zone of control. I basically put them in a cage for a turn to deal with later. For the next turn I had an eclipse and two boats which easily handled the Garuda's, and plenty of Mechas around to defend my northern area. Once the boats got repaired from the initial battles it wasn't hard to mop up and counterattack.

I think you could have lost this way. The Garuda could have ganged up on the eclipse from either side and (possibly) killed it, leaving the Underling to cap the base. At worst the underling finishes it making you a unit down. The underling further up caps the base you left undefended by moving your mecha south meaning you've got two bases under threat. If you don't get them both back the same turn (admittedly, the chance is good) you're at a big disadvantage. Even if you do, the Pinzer and the two Garudas can probably escape while you are distracted.

aLoN wrote:
  Hachiman wrote: Kill Garuda with boats. Build mecha on bottom base, leave mecha on next base up, build a Speeder on each of the top bases. Now he can't take any bases in his round.

Kill Underlings & Wyrm with Speeders and Mecha, kill Pinzer with boats once the Garuda are neutralised.

Not sure how many credits you get on this map to say what you do next round. Basically if you can stop him taking a base you will have a building advantage though ...

i think this strategie would fail because the speeders, 1 of them might be dead before you even gonna use it (pinzer + worm + underling) and then the other underling will keep you busy by capteruing the upper middle base, wich means you gonna have to use your boat and the speeder to take it down.

a plasma will help you in the next rounds to hold up with the attack and then win the game when you have a unit advantage.

Perhaps, but I think if you build a Plasma on the top middle base, the top right Underling has enough movement to capture the other (it can move over the mountain and sit on or cap the top one). This forces you to use one, maybe two of your boats to kill it, and leaves his forces free to attack or repair. Then both of your lower bases are in danger, and the Garuda can keep out of range of your boats...

In any case, if you can stop him capping a base, you should win.
New Feature Request » Fix remaining balance issue: Naval Units » Go to message
There are some exceptions, but mostly it seems

Hydronaught beats Dreadnought beats Leviathan for cost

The Hydro's extra range is overall better than its short range vulnerability, and the Leviathan is just flat out underpowered for cost vs the Dread. And Air units mostly don't help.

Best solution would be adding another naval unit with different interrelated strengths for each race (in a paid for expansion?) to make the balance more strategic.

Second (more likely) option would be to buff the Leviathan vs the Dread, and the Dread vs the Hydro...

At the moment I don't bother with most naval maps for this reason. It is a pity.

Any thoughts?
New Feature Request » Fix remaining balance issue: Mountain/ Infantry / Converters » Go to message
The game is better balanced than ever before, and might never be balanced for every map, but there's a few little fixable quirks left.

One is caused by several factors combined:

1) Infantry rules in mountains (and to a lesser extent forests)

2) Converting units mean Saps beat Titan infantry, Titans beat Khralean infantry. The Khral converter is more expensive so doesn't have as big an effect AND

3) Underling inability to attack air means Saps beat Khrals in mountains.

4) The lack of air units mean Titans are at a big disadvantage if mountains need to be crossed (mainly vs Saps, as above)

5) Titan weakness in mountains is well compensated vs Khraleans by the ability to teleport Mecha (out with wounded units & in at the most advantageous points). This doesn't work vs Saps, as the Engineer captures them at will before or after teleporting.

Basically all these balance skewing factors mean that maps with strategically important mountains are very often badly unbalanced in the following ways...

On very many mountainous (+ forest) maps:

Sapiens beat Titans
Sapiens beat Khraleans
Titans beat Khraleans

I propose the following solutions:

1. Converter units should not travel over mountain hexes .
- Reduces the Saps > Titans and Titans > Khrals advantage in mountains

2. Garuda should get a bonus in mountains, and Swarmers a bonus in Forest.
- Reduces Saps > Khrals and Titans > Khrals in heavy terrain
- Allows Khrals to compete vs Air in heavy terrain
- Justified as "home ground advantage" - Garuda's nest in mountains, Swarmers in forest

3. Allow the Speeder to traverse mountains (without penalty?)
- Reduces Saps > Titans in mountains
- Allows more mountain maps to be balanced, as Titans have a fast unit that can traverse them (like the other races)
- Justified by a "hover jump" ability.

Further thoughts and critisism welcomed....

General Discussion » Thoughts about titans » Go to message
The thing in this matchup is that the Plasma is stronger, but it is mostly ok to wear it down over several turns, but requires some planning.

The Pinzer is weaker, but you have to kill it quick, or it will heal and come back strong again. There are several ways to do this, but it requires some thought.

For mine, that's a good dynamic.
New Feature Request » Fix remaining balance issue: very unfair maps » Go to message
Post Fix remaining balance issues: Unfair maps
A game with such different races is probably never going to have perfectly balanced maps.

However, there are some maps where a side / race can apply a very easy set of moves for a certain win. I think this should be corrected where possible.

This thread is to point out those maps for correction. Players are invited to add more unfair maps below (or correct any errors), preferably in the same (easily understandable) format.

To make it easy to correct the worst maps, I suggest only adding maps that confirm to the criteria "a side / race can apply a very easy set of moves for a certain win". Maps that are a little unbalanced but not so easily demonstrated should be left out for now.

Unbalanced maps:

1 Desolate.

Problem: A Blue Sapien or Khralean player can always win by using fast units to prevent the red player taking an equal number of bases.

Solution: Improve initial infantry positioning, modify initial credits

2. Green Valley

Problem: A Blue Sapien or Khralean player can always win vs Titans by using fast units to prevent the red player taking an equal number of bases.

Solution: Some combination of the the following: Improve initial infantry positioning, modify initial credits, remove some mountain hexes, let speeder traverse mountains without penalty.

3. Wild Plains

Problem: Red Titans can always defeat Blue Khraleans / Red Sapiens can always defeat Blue Titans by spamming infantry and some infantry converting units and targeting the opponents base that is almost surrounded by mountains.

Solution: Reduce the number of initial credits red gets. Remove a mountain or two from around the targeted base.

4. Harbour

Problem: Blue Titans (vs Saps or Khrals) and Blue Saps (vs Khrals) can always attack player red's ship in the naval base giving blue an advantage.

Solution: Fix naval balance, make water on Harbour wider.

[edited to reflect feedback from following post - thanks to brainiac]
General Discussion » Online Code of Conduct - The UniWar "Constitution" » Go to message
Also, aren't short term alliances and attendant backstabbing common practice in multi-player FFA's?
Kill Garuda with boats. Build mecha on bottom base, leave mecha on next base up, build a Speeder on each of the top bases. Now he can't take any bases in his round.

Kill Underlings & Wyrm with Speeders and Mecha, kill Pinzer with boats once the Garuda are neutralised.

Not sure how many credits you get on this map to say what you do next round. Basically if you can stop him taking a base you will have a building advantage though ...
General Discussion » Naval > Aerial > Ground: An evaluation of unit balance » Go to message
Definately I think some more thought about naval balance is next on the list of balance tweaks.

For example the Dreadnought is more powerful for cost than the Leviathan (or the Garuda) meaning it is not worth playing against saps as Khrals on naval maps....

I don't really have a problem with Air vs ground balance - I think it is a fairly good soft scissors / paper / rock system (air > heavy ground > light ground > air, with some exceptions).

General Discussion » Change Proposal for the Ratings » Go to message
1. Is a good change (though perhaps a player should be able to play on the same team as himself - if so it should be somehow indicated).

2. Is way too easy to circumvent. All you'd have to do is play one rated game on an unbalanced map (even against a bot) to keep your rating.

I suggest you have to play at least 5 rated games, against 5 different non bot opponents, on 5 different maps per month. And perhaps the rule should only apply to players rated 2000 and above.

Also, to fix the ratings the unbalanced maps need fixing (Desolate and Green Valley come to mind - both have massive first player advantages).

Forum Index Profile for Hachiman »» Messages posted by Hachiman